Conky 2000

just saw a biography on TV about Pee wee and it reminded me of this thread. were the schematics ever sent?

Just wanted to let everyone know that I contacted Greg and he got back to me the very next day. Other than being a little perplexed that someone actually wanted a full-sized Conky, he said that he would be glad to share the Conky schematics. When he actually sends me some information I'll be sure to post it.

-Andy

Did you get the SCHEMATICS?

Good news, bad news, and then good news again!

The first good news is I've screencapped the first 7 episodes of Pee-Wee's Playhouse and accumulated a bunch of Conky reference which I've posted in my photobucket here: http://s136.photobucket.com/user/jackdoud/library/Conky%202000?sort=9&page=1. In going through the pictures I've managed to ID a couple of parts but that leads to...

The bad news: Given the rarity of some of these parts, the general imposibility of IDing others and the overall size and expense of building a Conky I think I'm going to have to leave it as a pipe dream. Just finding an old-style electric wheelchair is a pain and when you do it's usually several hundred dollars and in need of repair. But now back to...

The good news! I'd rather not see my research go to waste and I'm sure there's someone out there crazy/rich enough to want to attempt this project so here's what I've worked out:

We all know the Brownie Hawkeye Cameras as eyes:

and the Agfa Isolette in the chest:

I've ID'd the chest stereo as a semi-rare Taiwanese boombox, the CEC OL-7540:

There are a few variations to it, you want one without writing on the top tape deck and a red "2" on the bottom one. A slightly easier to find similar option would be the Sanyo M9935K:

though I'm tending to agree with the theory that the back of the boombox is used for other parts of the chest (probably the back) so I'm not sure if the Sanyo will work for that.

For the junk on his right side:

The retractable cord is from an Electrolux LX Vacuum Cleaner:

The red dome is a vintage Japanese tintoy wind up spaceship racer:

I wasn't able to find one with the same marking in silver with a red dome but all of them are fairly rare and expensive.

I made some in-roads to figuring out the phone dial, closest I've come was a Starlight brand:

Similarly I did some poking around to try and identify the turntable but there are no clear markings on it and it's not an easy thing to search for. I found that the manufacturer Ferguson seems to make designs that are similar but that's really tentative.

On to the biggie, the head:

I think the main body of the head is a custom bent peice of sheet metal. With the ton of junk stuck on it everyone's thought it was something found but at this point I doubt it.

There's a 4 AA battery holder with green batteries in it on the left rear side:

The top of the head is a Eureka Vacuum cleaner foot, I found the model 2041 to be the closest but haven't been able to find one in silver and chrome:

In front of the Eureka foot on top of the head is peice of chrome trim off a Sunbeam brand appliance:

I have no idea what it's from and could potentially be anything from a toaster to full stove.

The "mouth" is probably electric typewriter keys:

They seem to stay relatively consistent in placement and are never shown moving though occasionally there are cutaway shots that show a change of expression:

The left hand is a custom build made from sheet metal and pop rivits that could open and close:
[URL=http://s136.photobucket.com/user/jackdoud/media/Conky%202000/vlcsnap-2013-06-08-11h25m47s196.png.html]
th_vlcsnap-2013-06-08-22h30m34s218.png
[/URL]

The right hand is a mish-mash of parts ending in a set of bicycle brakes that are operable:

Other general observations:
-There are four 2-slice toasters and at least 4 chrome coffee pots used around the base.
-There are clear plastic domes on either side of the forward caster wheels.
-Rubber diamond-plate sits on top of the chest
-The turntable is seen "working" in one episode

In my search I found out that the "original" Conky was on display at a museum in NYC this past summer though it's obviously had some work done on it as there are some differences:

I've also found pictures of the new Conky built for the stage show. I think it works fine for the stage and is probably the way I'd have to go if I wanted to build one but up close it really looks horrible and not something I'd want to dedicate time to recreating:

I hope this helps someone with a build, as I said I've come to realize that unless I win the lottery this project is way beyond my reach.

Last edited:
Fantastic sleuthing!

My only disagreement would be the head being custom made.

Looking at this pic there seems to be some odd "tube" shaped sheet metal forming happening on the bottom edge that isn't found on the other side-
vlcsnap-2013-06-08-22h21m08s230.png~original

This is a complicated bit of metal working with no real reason to do for a Conky head. It makes me think it's a left over feature from it's previous use. Also that chrome rectangle piece on the corner is odd and feels like it's covering up a wonky hole or feature in the metal that wasn't wanted.

Of course this is pure speculation.

I also wonder if electric typewriter keys already have little prongs or something on the backs that would stick through the holes in that meash area used for the mouth?

Looking at this pic there seems to be some odd "tube" shaped sheet metal forming happening on the bottom edge that isn't found on the other side-
This is a complicated bit of metal working with no real reason to do for a Conky head. It makes me think it's a left over feature from it's previous use.

I disagree that the "tube" is curved sheet metal. I'm of the opinion that it's grey electrical conduit cut lenthwise and screwed onto the head:
vlcsnap-2013-06-08-22h51m05s20.png~original

It seems to be a slightly different shade of grey from the rest of the head. I don't have the DVDs but if anyone else does that's something to focus on. I know there is an episode where Jimmy Smits guest stars as a "conky repairman" that may have some good parts reference:
969159_10151507245142408_408514618_n.jpg~original

Is this thread dead? Only reason I ask is because I just finished my Big adventure bike and I'd love to build Conky!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The first set of links in the first post lead to... I have no idea what has happened here.

MOD EDIT: The links from the first post have been removed because the domain is no longer valid.

I'm sure this thread is dead, but if you are serious about trying to build a Conky, I have figured out some more of the main components.

Most of the turntable is a butchered GE Trimline Stereophonic 400. The actual center spinning part doesn't seem to be from the same player, though.
attachment.php

attachment.php

The Sunbeam piece on the top of his head is from a Sunbean Vista VT-40-1 toaster
attachment.php

attachment.php

The insert in the Vacuum Cleaner piece on the top of his head is the cover of a Royal 116 PD Calculator. Every so often, you can see that the insert is translucent green. This is what tipped me off to it being a calculator part. I was unable to find a good picture of one of these, but the 114 PD is an extremely similar calculator. I also believe that some of the keys that make up his mouth are from the same calculator.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I haven't been able to find the model of Eureka Vacuum Cleaner used, but I'm pretty sure it is a Eureka. It might even be this one I pictured, but I couldn't find it in gray and I couldn't find this one's model number. If you look near Conky's wheels, it looks like they've used the Eureka plaque.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I haven't been able to pinpoint the camera, either. It certainly looks a lot like an Agfa Isolette, but there are a couple of differences.
attachment.php

attachment.php

If you just looked at these two pictures side by side, it makes a good case for the first model Isolette. However, when you throw in this next picture, you see there should be a second knob on the other side of the camera. This knob is not there in the first model Isolette. There are other isolettes that do have a second knob over there, but their tops are silver instead of black.
attachment.php

Looking at other screen grabs, You can tell that there is a Diamond shaped logo stamped in the middle of the cover of the camera. This is consistent with the Agfa logo. Maybe it's an Agfa knockoff or a really obscure model?

I found the camera today!

It's got to be an Agfa Speedex B2. It's got every identifying feature I've noticed so far. Black top, right angles on the beveled top, two knobs, a single large diamond in the middle of the front folding cover, and the arrow indicator under the sliding piece on the side. They made two models of it. You want the first model with a silver shutter button.

attachment.php
attachment.php

Conky's back is partly made from the Boombox's back. It looks like one end and part of the bottom were chopped off, and the whole thing was mounted upside down.
attachment.php

attachment.php

I'm thinking the semicircle with the holes in it under his nose is the top of a percolator basket that's been cut in half. Perhaps the same percolator that can be seen towards his front on both sides.

attachment.php

attachment.php

The bell on his left side appears to be a 2 1/2" Edwards 740 Doorbell with chevron design.
attachment.php

attachment.php

- - - Updated - - -

In one episode, the bell isn't there, and you get a better look at the plate that's underneath it. Looks like it might be part of another calculator. The long skinny slot looks like a slot for a slider.

attachment.php

attachment.php

I guess he could also look out the holes in the piece under that. Don't forget that there has to be room for a mechanism for the eyes to rotate. I will take a closer look to see if I can see any sort of transparency in the big striped chrome plate.

I was thinking the plastic pieces flanking the head might also be from a bicycle handlebar.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back