This Y Wing pic is confusing me - What's going on here?

TIE Killer was not given to Ladd Jr. It was taken home by an ILMer WAY before it was inappropriate to do so...

The video had the two fuselages assembled on stands, but there were no cockpits. Perhaps blue/gray (Gold 2) cockpit has yet to joined with the fuselage in this pic, while TIE Killer (Gold Leader) was already finished at this point? Red 3 hero and Red 6 pyro are also absent. Built before the rest and unavailable for the photo op, or built afterwards?
(Referring to the video "5757" ILM documentary by David Berry) - yes at 3:00 you see some hero Y-wings being built, The one closest to the camera has a droid and the "U" shaped tubing on the back, making it "Gold Leader" ("TIE Killer").

(Referring to the famous table picture) Based on the latest input, we could speculate that Red 6 was already destroyed and (more controversial) that the Red 3 hero was not completed yet, or simply was mounted in the studio for filming its famous "rolling" shots. Since Red 4, 10, and 12 still existed, I think it's fair to say that the many "table pictures" were taken before they were made aware that they were way behind shooting schedule and before things became much more "urgent".

I can only add that the thin blue stripe running along the edge of the decapitated Y-Wing cockpit matches either Gold Leader (pyro, since the Gold Leader model is already in the picture, complete) or Gold Two, as both had that thin stripe.

P.S. - Thank you kk1 for the link to that movie - excellent!

P.P.S. - has anyone ever identified the person working on Red 6 in the bonus DVD? He comes out in several other shots and must have been hired later, but he's not one of the earlier seven model builders (McCune, Beasley, Erland, Gawley, Huston, Jones, Peterson). Could that be James Mallasch? I really admire the ILM crew and would like to know who he was since I can't find him credited anywhere . . .

Last edited:
No no NO NO NOOOO. That is NOT Gold Leader in the video. It is Triangles - look at the piping coming from the neck to head.

Do your homework and READ the threads here.

http://www.therpf.com/f10/anh-red-y-kit-88726/index21.html#post2070240
Fair enough! They said they were heroes - what threw me off was the droid - "Triangles" (Gold 5) was a pyro with the U-Tubing in the back. But closer examination shows that the droid is only placed on top, not "installed" (the ANH pyros did not seem to have droid sockets).

Therefore it makes perfect sense that it is Gold Five, as you say (for many reasons). Thanks for the correction and model details Jason - another Y-Wing identified!

TRIANGLES.....

cc1aef1d.jpg

Its like talking to a small child with these guys, your killing the forum, go back to Gamespot or whatever, and troll there, its clear now, and always has been, you three know dick about studio scale models and there history.

Lee

There was more than one Y-wing with the tubing/brackets at the rear, yeah.

Lee, we all have to start somewhere. What is getting possibly a bit counterproductive isn't so much the would-be detective work per se as the throwing up of ideas which were debunked forever ago and which as Jason points out are readily found in threads here on the board - certainly easier to find than 1970s Gantt charts.

Signal to noise ratio, gents. Just saying.

Agreed. Without trying to further berate the newbs, yes - we have done all this work FOR you, so just READ the threads and retain what you read.

I know there is speculating going on but I'm just trying to get confirmation on what is out there. I appreciate all of this was hashed out long ago and have read through every thread here but since I'm late to the party you guys have to realize many of the picture links pointing stuff out are broken or refer to pictures that aren't allowed to be posted anymore plus as you see on the last page even you long time experts get confused sometimes (saying the unfinished model was red 4 and not red 12). As you can see when I post I'm trying to circle in the photos exactly what I'm talking about.

This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back