Doctor Who - Ice Gun

JediAgent

Gone but not forgotten.
Debuted at Dragon*Con 2009, below are pics of the Ice Gun from the Doctor Who episode "Girl In The Fireplace"
that my buddy, Spaz, and I made for my girlfriend, Randirien.

7525_155273492447_516832447_3538727.jpg

( JediAgent as the 10th Doctor | Randirien as Rose Tyler )

This prop was created from scratch, with well over 100 hours of work, and made from the following materials:
  • Aluminum Fence Post
  • 3/4" Pine Wood
  • Wooden Dowel
  • Plastic and Metal Plumbing Pipe
  • Ash Tray
  • Craftsman Thermos
  • Caulking Gun
  • Plastic Hosing
  • Magic Putty (best invention EVER)
  • and various other greeblies

Total Length: 49.5"
Total Weight: 8.5lbs

While I tried to use all the accurate items as on the original prop, a decent portion of them could not be shipped to the states as they were UK exclusive items. Therefore, improvisation was necessary.

The paint used was Rustoleum Professional Aluminum 7515 whereas the final ice-weathering technique was done with paint, Modge Podge, wood shavings, and chalk shavings.

This has probably been the most ambitious (and most impressive) prop to date...but definitely worth it because Randirien was ecstatic to have a BFG!

DW_IceGun_01.jpg

DW_IceGun_02.jpg

*click on thumbnails for larger images*

Last edited:
Hey! Where are all those in-progress cell-phone pictures I sent you while you were out of town?

(I'm the Spaz who did most of the building. JediAgent did all the researching and trying to get parts and greeblies from the UK.)

I would swear that thing was more than 8.5lbs....

You should also mention how using a 1" strap, while screen accurate, was a bad idea for carrying the thing around for 8-10 hours.

Hey! Where are all those in-progress cell-phone pictures I sent you while you were out of town?

(I'm the Spaz who did most of the building. JediAgent did all the researching and trying to get parts and greeblies from the UK.)

...and graphic design (for the decals) and detailing! Can't forget that!

Progress pics...umm...yeah....gotta find those :angel

I would swear that thing was more than 8.5lbs....

You should also mention how using a 1" strap, while screen accurate, was a bad idea for carrying the thing around for 8-10 hours.

I warned you that it would be uncomfortable, but you HAD to have it screen accurate! :lol

Looks fantastic Ryan, I would love to see that in person for sure! Great details...as for getting stuff from the UK...should have told me, bet I could have gotten them for you!

Although I do not think that would have changed how great it looks! A unique prop that none have done before for sure!

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back