Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Subscribe
    Dec 16, 2009, 2:54 PM - Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #1

HI,
    Just to let you know the 1st scheduled filming of our Judge Dredd based fan film- Judge Minty- took place on the 14th December on a very cold day in Sheffield, UK.
    Following a lot of pre production work which is recorded on the 'Judge Minty' Group on Face Book, or here:
    http://www.judgeminty.blogspot.com/

we were able to put our dreams into production and begin filming.
    The film is being shot in Hi-Def, on a Canon, a model also being tested by LucasFilm:
    http://philipbloom.co.uk/2009/12/12/...d-canon-dslrs/

Extras were sourced from willing fans on the 2000ad website:
    www.2000adonline.com

although our principle actor is a professional-Edmund Dehn- his last film, interestingly, was 'Spoon' directed by Sharlto Copley, the actor from District 9 !
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sharlto_Copley

As for props- most were modified nerfs and toys, which we painted up and customised. I built the Dredd/ Judges costume over a long period of tests and adaptions- they, thankfully, have been well received by the hard to please 2000AD fans, who still are licking their wounds from the Stallone film....

The Kovaks mob costumes were a team effort. We hope you like the pics!

The film is a short, 15 mins, to enable us to enter it into competitions and comic cons. Self funded, it is based on an early strip penned by John Wagner, and features an ailing Judge (Minty) who has to retire from the Justice Dept, 'taking the law to the lawless' by leaving Mega City One, to take the Long Walk into the Cursed Earth.

A teaser pic of our Judge Dredd, played by the renowned comic book artist Greg Staples:

This is a non profit fan film, funded by its creators and is not intended to impose on any existing ownerships- its just for fun!
  2. Member Since
    Nov 2001
    From
    UK
    Dec 16, 2009, 3:05 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #2

Top notch stuff, looks great.
    From
    London UK
    Dec 16, 2009, 3:21 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #3

Looks great so far , shall look forward to seeing more progress.

That looks awfully like Simon Palmer in the Kovaks Mob, you kept that quiet smurf
    Dec 16, 2009, 4:27 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #4

hah, Yes that was Simon....had the time of his life too!
    Ill try to take pics of the various props I made up, plenty to follow too ;-)
    D
    From
    Glasgow, Scotland.
    Dec 16, 2009, 4:57 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #5

Fantastic! Can't wait to see it
    From
    Chicagoland
    Dec 16, 2009, 11:26 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #6

Looks awesome!

Wishing I lived in the UK...

BTW, do you have to worry about a rolling shutter issue with the dslr?

Man. Seeing a proper Judge like that is just... bravo sir. Can't wait to see the film!
    Dec 17, 2009, 12:49 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #7

I had a smile on my face all day as the Judge's costumes are so great!!..That's me in the grey/black costume next to the guy in Orange in the third picture...It was a great..great day...I'll never forget it..!
    Dec 17, 2009, 4:29 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #8

hah! I never knew that was you nick!
    BMX and Cars too???????
    ;-)

I'll ask about the rolling shutter issue with the camera, Steve was very happy with its performance though....
    D
    Dec 17, 2009, 9:08 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #9

Reply from Steve RE the camera :
    "In answer to the guy's question - yeah you have to be careful - there was one shot which is a bit iffy, but generally it was pretty good, and I've got an XH-A1 for anything where the camera's moving a lot more (which is 3CCD, so no rolling shutter)"
    From
    Surrey, UK
    Jan 16, 2010, 5:08 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #10

Looking great can't wait for this one, keeping track of the updates!
    Jan 16, 2010, 5:53 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #11

This just keeps getting better The more you tease the more I want to see it all NOW!!!
    Outstanding the amount of work & people thats been enticed onto this project.

Jason
    Jan 16, 2010, 6:43 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #12

This is really coming along nicely and i wish this project all the attention it so rightly deserves.

great team effort.

cheers
    From
    Wellington, N.Z.
    Jan 16, 2010, 6:50 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #13

Looks like it has a lot of scope; I can't wait to see more!

CustomCreations said: View Post
    ...so no rolling shutter
    Heh, I remember when a rolling shutter was a good thing!
    Jan 16, 2010, 7:14 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #14

look great and great project good luck
    From
    Atlanta
    Jan 16, 2010, 8:37 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #15

I'm only sort of familiar with the comic books but I can honestly say, that looks AWESOME! I can't wait to see this!
    From
    St. John's, NL
    Jan 27, 2010, 2:54 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #16

I can not wait to see this. Beautiful work.

I couldn't see if this had been answered, but is there a chance a run of Dredd armour will be in the future?
    Jan 27, 2010, 9:12 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #17

Nice! I recently worked on a shoot where we used that particular camera, and got great results. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
    From
    Cheboygan, MI
    Jan 27, 2010, 10:10 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #18

Can't wait to see this. Love the location! Everything looks cool.
  19. Member Since
    Nov 2009
    Jan 27, 2010, 10:53 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #19

OMG!! that looks Awesome!! Can't wait to see this , it looks fantastic already
    From
    Los Angeles
    Jan 27, 2010, 11:38 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #20

Wow, the costumes look great. Good luck on your shoot.

I think it's VERY interesting that the new DSLRs can do hi-def video. That really opens up filming options to a LOT of people.
    From
    Yorkshire, United Kingdom
    Jan 27, 2010, 6:06 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #21

Yes,

I really couldn't believe the quality of the Canon. Especially in low light conditions.
    From
    SWEDEN
    Jan 31, 2010, 11:36 AM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #22

Awesome work! You really got the uniform just right!
    Can't wait to see more! Cheers!
    Jan 31, 2010, 12:52 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #23

Judge Minty said: View Post
    Yes,

I really couldn't believe the quality of the Canon. Especially in low light conditions.
    It's an impressive piece of kit. I was amazed to see how effective it is.
  24. Member Since
    Jan 2010
    Jan 31, 2010, 5:52 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #24

I love the idea behind this story, I can't wait to see the film.
    From
    Venice CA
    Jan 31, 2010, 11:27 PM - Re: Judge Minty- Judge Dredd fan film- 1st Day shoot pics #25

Good luck looks amazing