"Accurized" Totokia - Gaffi Stick project... NEW PICS 9-21-06!

hey all,

Just noticed that Forttusken posted a thread in the JY for his mace-ends. These should work perfectly with the totokia I'm doing for those who want to convert them to Gaffi sticks: http://www.therpf.com/index.php?showtopic=115773

Don't miss out on those.

As for the totokia. We've worked out the costs and will be listing a sale thread once we get some nice pictures snapped. We're running on a slight delay because Lonnie (the molder/caster on this project) had a bit of an accident with a box cutter and will be working one-handed for the next few weeks.

That said, we know people are anxious to get these and we've gotten a few nice pulls from the molds already. We'll be photographing those in the next few days and hopefully will have a sales thread up next week.

Tom

Would it be possible to use wood stain on resin?

I realize there's no grain to highlight, but it might make for a more realistic finish, assuming the resin is porous enough.

Just thinking out loud...

I have...

But I painted the resin first with acrylic paints.

And each individual buyer can choose at their own discretion to try to simulate grain.

hahahaha... I'm anxious as well.

Lonnie is still working one-handed for a bit, but he's sent me the first few samples so I can approve and photograph them.

The waiting will be over VERY soon :D

Tom

Samples arrived. This is exactly what the castings we're going to offer for sale will look like. I'm very pleased with the work on these.

Clean up and assembly will be pretty easy.

There will be one seam along the inside of the shaft that needs sanding (along with two small sprues at the elbow) and the bottom of the pineapple end will need clean up. After that you can glue the pineapple end to the shaft, or if you'd like to drill the bottom of the pineapple and add a dowel for a stronger connection, you can do that as well (the shaft already has a hole for one).

Color is very light brown as seen in the pics. It can be spraypainted with a very dark brown or if you wanna get fancy, smear a dark color over it and go for a bit of a wood grain look.

I want to thank Rob (PHarchivist) for all his hard work and dedication in getting the handle end modified. His markings look GREAT and IMO vastly improve the accuracy of this piece.

Without further ado, here are the pics. I'll have a junkyard thread up later. In the meantime, feel free to PM if interested.

Tom

totokia1.JPG

totokia2.JPG

totokia3.JPG

Tom, the casting on the bottom of the pineapple seems rather rough, will it be cleaned up further during the production run? It'llbe a bitch trying to clean that up before painting.

I also notice what seem to be the wooden dowel inside the handle showing through the resin, along the parting line in the last pic. May want to get it more centred.

Minor minor details compared to the huge efforts you guys have put into this, graet work.

Good points, but I think we'll likely leave clean up to the buyer rather than add time (and thus cost) to the project. I will mention the concern to Lonnie and see if maybe he can figure a way to get that bottom edge cast more cleanly. The edge isn't bad in person... maybe 1/16th of flashing there at the bottom which should grind right off with a dremel.

The dowel SHOULD be sitting at exactly the same angle as the dowel in my original (as the mold extends beyone the end of the handle and wraps the first few inches of the dowel, thus holding it in the same position as the master. Keep in mind that I did slightly offset that on purpose originally.

That said, the dowel is slightly smaller than the ID of a forttusken mace end, allowing people the flexibility to shim it one way or the other based on their preference.

Tom

Here's a shot of the other pineapple end sample he sent. It looks like the mold was just filled a bit less than the other. He's assured me he can do the rest more like this one (though members will need to add the hole themselves).

totokia4.JPG

T

Posting up some pics of a finished one.

Still only offering these as kits but this should show how they look with just a little brown spraypaint and a smearing of black acrylic. Gonna include this finished one with the tusken (which I'm probably parting with soon... pm me for more info)

Enjoy :D

T

Tusken1.JPG

Tusken10.JPG

Tusken11.JPG

Tusken5.JPG

Tusken9.JPG

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back