x-wing question

dansmith

A quick question, were the x-wing models built for ANH then used in ESB and ROTJ?

I assume more Pyros were made and the large never used model (for Jedi) but what about smaller Heros?

Many thanks for any insight

Dan

I think Red 3 was used in TESB as a Hero, modded to Red 5 livery and landing gear added for Dagobah ????

As for ROTJ, no clue, but rumor has it some AMT models were used and maybe again, the Red 3 Hero, i think for screentime, Reds 2 and 3 got the most in the first of the trilogy ?????

lee

Cool thanks for that Lee,

Iv'e been reading all the x-wing threads that have been on the forum of late and have noticed that they are all about the ANH models, so I assumed that they were used through out the 3 films.

So does this make the MPC kit screen acurate (to Jedi) Even if not the most desirable of models to recreate.

Dan

Red 5 could have been used bro, very possible, she's on the stage with ol' George in that timeline, in a Red 4 guise too?

Dan, sure, you could rustle up a nice ROTJ AMT model, less desirable or not, if it was used on screen, then hell yeah, its a prop...right lol, and fodder for replication?

lee

Have to admit Lee that the MPC kit I have knocking around here is looking alot more interesting all of a sudden, more so than the fine molds 1:48 I have!!!

Dan

Well, my honest feelings? Id rather build and studio paint an AMT over the FM kit anyway lol, go for it Dan, you could do a few, and even mount them onto the small "story board" handles ILM used, for a bit more, "authenticity" maybe.
Its a strong possibility, or so ive felt for a long time, that more than just the X wings from AMT were used in the ROTJ battle, but ive been wrong before :lol
We know there were Awing and Bwing story board models, as well as TIE's, but, as yet, im not sure they were painted and filmed.

lee

Just dug out MPC kit, you know just to have a look!!!

so I guess the next question should be are there any more pics about (having read a few threads on here in my time I know this question could be a can of worms!!)

Dan

I don't believe the X-wing with moss is RED3 that has a landing gear for dagobah.
Because the weathering on the proton topedo tube(It's yellow panell with almost no weatherig on the RED3)
and the Phantom engines look like RED5 to me.

As for the large X-wing,it was used in the scene of moving wings from closed positiong to attack position.(SAG is wrong.)

A quick question, were the x-wing models built for ANH then used in ESB and ROTJ?

I assume more Pyros were made and the large never used model (for Jedi) but what about smaller Heros?

Many thanks for any insight

Dan

Thanks for that, interesting that the big model did see a little screen time.

On the subject of the MPC/AMT kits used in Jedi in the pic of the rear end ( see monsieur Tox link)

I can see 3 wing stripes, yes? no?

Dan

Edit: for bad link.

Last edited:
You can also see MPC X-wing on the bottom of the attached pic.
According to the article,MPC Xwing was used in RPJ for most of the scenes and this photo was taken in 1990.

Well, my honest feelings? Id rather build and studio paint an AMT over the FM kit anyway lol, go for it Dan, you could do a few, and even mount them onto the small "story board" handles ILM used, for a bit more, "authenticity" maybe.
Its a strong possibility, or so ive felt for a long time, that more than just the X wings from AMT were used in the ROTJ battle, but ive been wrong before :lol
We know there were Awing and Bwing story board models, as well as TIE's, but, as yet, im not sure they were painted and filmed.

lee

Oh great now you tell me Lee I used to have that model!!!!:lol:thumbsup

Have to admit Lee that the MPC kit I have knocking around here is looking alot more interesting all of a sudden, more so than the fine molds 1:48 I have!!!

Dan

Despite the quirkiness of the AMT profile it captures the ILM sleekness better than FM, and comes with a built-in hero wing angle - something you have to work hard at to get with the SS garage kits. FM also totally fouled up their canopy, making it ludicrously tall. While AMT's canopy is inaccurate, it does at least capture the low-slung, mean frown of the ILM X-wings.

Oh, and another thing...the AMT is the only X kit or replica I'm aware of that fully reproduces the soft round edges of the ILM nose piece. FM made no effort whatever in that dept.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info gents, all interesting stuff.

Sorry 'bout the link to be fair I just copied it from monsiure Tox post above....not sure what I did to it!!

Have decided to do an ILM AMT/MPC X-wing, because, well why not.

Am greatful for all pics, info on these models and any further thoughts on which of the ANH models were seen in ESB and ROTJ.

Dan

Ok, before I start to put one of these together a few thoughts.

Using Monsieur Tox pics (thanks for that) as referance, here are the main details I will try to add to my model.

Red stripes on the lower guns and 3 wing stripes painted on, it looks to me like ILM didn't use the kits decals.

Replace canopy, the pic shows no glass so my thinking is that ILM remade these rather than spend the time to cut the "Glass" areas from the kit.

An ILM quailty paint job, whilst not as detailed as ANH hero models it does not look to me like these were just slapped together.

I will put lighting gel (colour filter) in the engins over the "Heat sink". I will however use LEDs as a light source.

I will leave the panel in front of the wings (where you can see the wires in the pic) in place, my thoughts are that the panel covering this area was lost at some point.

I can't decide if the pilot is in there or not, I will put him in anyway because it will make for a nicer display and as they are in the kit they were probably used.

All thoughts welcome.

Dan

I suspect just about every X-wing pyro in ROTJ is an MPC. In particular, the one destroyed that was following the A-wing, a few shots before it (the A-Wing) struck the SSD tower.

The MPC thing doesn't bother me much after seeing, in that Lucas pic, that there is at least a dozen Kenner die-cast TIEs on that table...complete with the vestigal battery compartment that Kenner had inexplicably replicated in the smaller toy.

Your looking for the "larger" glue together kit, which comes out about 12 inches long when finished. It has been released under several company names, MPC, AMT and Denys Fisher.

There is also a snap together kit which is alot smaller (1:72 ish) and the electronic "pro shop" version. These were released after Jedi was finished.

Then there is the current Fine molds and Revell Kits which are all new tooling (only a few years old)

As for extra detail, I'm not to sure, the only pics iv'e got are those in this thread. On the one hand would they have gone to the effort to put on tiny panel chips etc that would probably not be seen. On the other hand they did have to put some work into these (as I said not just slapped together) so maybe.

Dan

Last edited:
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back