$1 Store Lightsaber Build Thread - Feel Free to Add Yours!

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
I hope no one minds me starting a thread to share the parts and processes used to make custom lightsabers for the contest. Mine was the rancor-tooth hilt, #19. It was inspired by Tenel Ka's lightsaber, from the EU.
Here are the pictures of the parts I bought.
contest1.jpg

contest2.jpg

contest3.jpg

contest4.jpg

contest5.jpg

Here are some pics I took while working on mine.
progress1.jpg

progress2.jpg

progress3.jpg

progress4.jpg

To make the hilt, I emptied the glue bottle into another container and cut off the top nozzle. Eventually I cut a hole in the bottom as well to make it easier to remove the glue bottle for painting. I wrapped the bottle with masking tape, sticky side away from the bottle, until I felt I had a pretty good holder for it. Then I started to wad up the masking tape at the bottom, wrapping it around the wad until I had the basic shape I wanted for the core of the tooth. I built up with play-doh, adding bits here and there until I had what I thought was sturdy thickness and a decent sculpt. Once the play-doh was dry, I GENTLY sanded it(not a fun task, I might add). I brushed a few coats of white glue from the bottle over the surface to help seal it and prevent the play-doh from cracking too badly. I painted the glue bottle with chrome color and put it back inside the masking tape base. I painted the play-doh, which was probably the most difficult part, due to all the cracks and the lack of reference material for coloring. I sprayed the switch and hook(both from the hanging kit) with chrome color, and painted the jewel from the magnet red. Then I added them, along with the wire(also from the hanging kit) and part of a paperclip as the belt-hook.
Most of the body of the blade was made of empty sanitizer bottles, with the tops and bottoms cut off. I had originally planned to cut them more and more narrow, so the top of the blade tapered off, with the blue tablecovering on the inside to provide color. I still wish I could have done it that way, because it would have looked more like a traditional blade. When I experimented with just one segment, it looked awesome with the flashlight shining inside. However, until I got all the sanitizer bottles to fit, there were a lot of seams visible, as well as the glue and/or tape I used to secure it. It caused a lot of interruption in the glow of the blade. So while I kept the bottles as-is, I ended up wrapping a cut piece of the tablecovering around the outside of the blade, with a layer of plastic wrap over that. Then I used a hair dryer to shrink wrap everything together. Sadly, while I was taking pictures, I noticed that the shrink wrap wasn't staying tight and the blade was drooping a bit:unsure However, I really liked the way the blue tablecovering glowed with the light behind it, so I would consider using something similar next time I make a "real" custom saber.
The light was achieved with a simple LED mini-flashlight. I just stuck the top into the wide end of the blade and secured it with electrical tape. Then the base went into the top of the glue bottle, custom fit with more electical tape. I found that I like the way LEDs shine for projects like this and I really need to learn how to set them up properly for the future.:cool
So that's pretty much it. This project forced me to put other things aside and focus on getting one thing done, with a deadline. Which is nice, because if you know me, I always have a millions things I'm working on at any given time and sometimes it's good to just push through and get something done.

I find it interesting how many of us were drawn to pick the same parts for a build and how different they turned out. Maybe a contest where every one had to use the same ten items would be cool to try.

I really like how your blade lights, hard to believe one small light could get the whole thing so bright.

I'm wondering how most people would choose to classifiy their sabers (Jedi or Sith)?

I was #16 with the perfect score of ZERO votes. Thanks to everyone who voted for someone else. :lol
Parts pix can be found here.
http://astromechbuilder.com/mechloader/v/jonny5/flotsam/RPFSaberContest/saber1/

A cardboard tube for the hilt wrapped in mylar foil.
1_Insense_Sticks.jpg
2_Tissue_Wrap_chrome.jpg

The cap from a pepper grinder for the pommel. An LED plant light for the emitter.
5_Gourmt_Select_Black_Pepper.jpg

4_+Spot+Light_LED.jpg

Nail files for hand grips, and numerous greeblies for details including a camera tripod, hair clips, and the blade cover from a razor for the 'activator' switch. Craft foam was used to make a spacer under the knob, and close the visible end of the switch. Chrome and flat black paint. Mostly CA glue holding it together with a little bit of silicone caulk. Very little in the way of modification of any parts except the emitter which had its reflector recessed.

1B_saber.jpg

2B_saber.jpg

emitter.jpg

My entry might be the only one that did not make use of a flashlight, although the battery powered plant light comes close.

Critiques are welcome.

Last edited:
I'm wondering how most people would choose to classifiy their sabers (Jedi or Sith)?

My saber would be Jedi. Personally I want to be a smuggler but I would better fit the sidekick postion, of: guy that keeps it running/saves smugglers bacon.

I like the design of your saber, the emory boards are great, they give the classic grip detail without giving away what they are. I would have distressed it more. Things that are worn tend to look more grounded in the "real" world.

My saber is definitely Jedi in this case.

Here's Johnny #5, I mean, saber #5:

I basically decided to do this contest on an impulse. So I didn't really have any plans or ideas until I got to the dollar store. The more I started finding things the more I got the idea to do something that looks OT-ish without being too Obi/Luke/Vader.

So I wound up with:

Item_key.jpg

Item_key_addition.jpg

PICT0052.jpg

PICT0053.jpg

PICT0054.jpg

The main base is a flashlight turned around so the pommel is the flashlight's business end. Originally, I got the second larger flashlight and I was going to make it an outer grip to go over the ribbed flashlight (Sorta like Qui-Gon) but the diameter didn't quite work out, so I ended up going all ribbed.

The greeblies on the body are from the radio, and the silver band with the little switch by the next is what's left from the large flashlight I wanted to make an outer grip with. I wanted to do some sort of layered look so I cut out a vent and filled it with the pencil/pen holder mesh. This idea looked better in my head, I really wish I spent more time fleshing out the design.

PICT0065.jpg

PICT0067.jpg

The neck is another flashlight, and the emitter is the electronic candle base. The inside emitter is the plastic recorder with a dead fish charm showing through the hole on the candle stick. I have no idea why I went with that, haha. I found a little jewel thingy on a pen and thought it fit too perfect not to use, so I did. I know it doesn't make the most sense in a lightsaber functionality world, but it looked neat.

PICT0063.jpg

The pommel base was very simple. I used the dvd case to fill the flashlight hole and then I used some of those paper clip things and a D-ring found on the pet leash.

Overall, I had fun making this. This was my first time experimenting with weathering with paints. The build took around 6 hours tops over a couple of days. Next year, I will put a little more time in the planning stages and won't rush it as much.

Questions/Comments/Concerns welcomed.

#9, the led flashlight looks real close to the grenade section of the ObiWan saber. With two of them one could make a great "close enough".
I see you picked up the recorder as well. That thing had some great shapes.

I thought these were all very nice sabers.

Dizarro Lois I thought it was very nice that your took your inspiration from the EU. One of the things that stood out to me every time I went to the $1. store were those "lightsabers" or "laser swards" (what ever they want to call them) with the foam, light up, blades. I thought for sure a lot of people would have those blades on thier sabers, so I was really surprised when I saw that you were the only one to do that. I thought it was a very nice, and fun, touch. :)

Jonny5 I immediately thought of Darth Vader when I saw yours. I though it was very well executed, and if not Vader, I think this would make a fine saber for any sith loard. (or jedi, but it just said sith to me. :))

Kenobius, I was really impressed with the detail work on yours. I really wish I could have posted more pics of it for the voting part of the contest, because, I felt people really needed to see the different sides of the lower handle. I though there was some very fine work there. :)

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back