Original Stormtrooper Helmets

<div class='quotetop'>(TK765 @ May 28 2006, 10:28 AM) [snapback]1252124[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>(voice in the crowd @ May 28 2006, 06:21 AM) [snapback]1252018[/snapback]
Hi Braks,

Thanks very much for sharing. Also please thank the generous soul who donated these pictures it is much appreciated :)

:thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup :thumbsup

Is the hero helmet the one used for all the LFL publicity stills?

The left hand mic tip on the stunt looks way out of position compared to most possibly we can place this on screen now.

Cheers Chris.
[/b]

I believe it is, I matched up the pic Matt took with one of the Promo hero and there were too many similarities for it not to be the same. I may post later.
[/b][/quote]

I believe it is too. There were some discrepancies but I believe at one point (and I can't find the pics) we were able to show that it is indeed the helmet see in all the publicity photos.

looks like the bottom trim on the LFL stunt is painted white,and the chin piece is well defined like the(move along trooper)looks like it not painted very well also,might help screen identify it.thanks for posting pic Brak.

If you look at the teeth where the holes have been cut out,it looks like there is another colour....the unpainted plastic?
Painted.jpg

I still think these hero's were painted,just like the prototypes were.It also looks like the hero helmets do have the frames around the trapezoids as well :)

<div class='quotetop'>(troopermaster @ May 28 2006, 12:09 PM) [snapback]1252162[/snapback]</div>
I still think these hero's were painted,just like the prototypes
[/b]

I have to disagree. On virtually every helmet we have seen, the area underneath the ears is unpainted (yes, I know the Shepperton photos show some helmets without ears that are white) and there is always some amount of paint wear at the ear area where the sharp ear has rubbed paint from the helmet. You can see back into the area under the ear in this image and there is no paint missing. In fact, there is no paint missing anywhere. I think what you might be seeing is discoloration but it is nothing like what we see on the stunts. Could it be that the heroes are a white plastic that has been painted white as well? I guess it is possible, but I really don't think so. I think the theory that the heroes are simply formed white is correct.

Until someone who has handled these can join in the discusision,all we can do is guess if they were painted or not.And they'd have to have a very good knowledge of plastics and their properties to identify the material used for the helmets too.I would say that the hero's are made from 'natural' colour plastic and painted white.Could be a number of different plastics used but my guess is that is was a standard 'off the shelf' plastic that was readily available.The paint looks to be sticking better to the hero's so you can count out polyethylene :p

-Paul.

Paul, i would be willing to bet my house that the hero helmets were not painted.

Not only does it look like unpainted plastic, why would the hero helmets be painted, but the X-wing's/Y-wing's, Tie pilots and prototype trooper helmets be formed in unpainted plastic?

The X-wing and Y-wings i saw were made from vey nice acrylic capped plastic and i seem to remember the prototype trooper was too, but i didn't pay much atyention to the prototype.

I'm not sure, but it looks like the ears on the hero might be made from a different type of plastic than the rest of the helmet.

Keith.

If you zoom right in you can actually see a mottled effect on the plastic,just like a spray can leaves.The more I look at it the more it looks painted,just 100 times better than the stunts and with a different type of paint too.I don't know which proto was up for auction,but the one on 'starwarshelmets' with the cracked tube was definately painted.Also I don't see what X or Y wing helmets have to do with stormtrooper helmets?

<div class='quotetop'>(Keith @ May 28 2006, 06:15 PM) [snapback]1252233[/snapback]</div>
Paul, i would be willing to bet my house that the hero helmets were not painted.

Not only does it look like unpainted plastic, why would the hero helmets be painted, but the X-wing's/Y-wing's, Tie pilots and prototype trooper helmets be formed in unpainted plastic?

The X-wing and Y-wings i saw were made from vey nice acrylic capped plastic and i seem to remember the prototype trooper was too, but i didn't pay much atyention to the prototype.

I'm not sure, but it looks like the ears on the hero might be made from a different type of plastic than the rest of the helmet.

Keith.
[/b]

Hi Keith,

I think you're right, the ears looks like they're made from a different material.

That hero helmet doesn't look painted and I seem to recall in that interview of M Hamill that he said his stormtrooper helmet had yellowish badly (suggesting that he might have been given a hero helmet and only white plastic would yellowish).

But I do find logical reasons as to why the hero helmets would have been painted: so that they would match the other trooper helmets (all the painted stunts).

I might be wrong but the two troopers who gets on board the MF and get shot by Han have stunt helmets but when Luke and Han reappear dressed as stomrtroopers, they both wear hero helmets etc...

But again, it doesn't look painted.

<div class='quotetop'>(troopermaster @ May 28 2006, 06:04 PM) [snapback]1252229[/snapback]</div>
Until someone who has handled these can join in the discusision,all we can do is guess if they were painted or not.And they'd have to have a very good knowledge of plastics and their properties to identify the material used for the helmets too.I would say that the hero's are made from 'natural' colour plastic and painted white.Could be a number of different plastics used but my guess is that is was a standard 'off the shelf' plastic that was readily available.The paint looks to be sticking better to the hero's so you can count out polyethylene :p

-Paul.
[/b]

I have spoken to someone who has handled the hero and its NOT painted. In those pics Braks showed the hero is very white looking but in actuality the LFL Hero is much more yellowish than the LFL stunt as the plastic has aged.

I too have seen this and yes, the Hero is more yellowed than any of the other helmets. As 765, the pics I posted are a bit deceptive in that regard.

Hoorah.

Thanks for the new pics being made available to the rest of us :thumbsup

I see LFL only wanted to keep hold of the rarer HDPE stunt ;)

Yeah just to reiteratre what others have said, the Hero in the picture is white ABS. Not painted.

Not sure if its acrylic capped or not and basing my opinions on the the X and Y wing helmets I handled on several occasions its actually hard to say. As Keith as said they were very shiny but as to whether that means they're acrylic capped or not I'm not totally sure

Braks - cool you got the go-ahead to post the pics so you can share them with everyone

Cheers

Jez

This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back