The Indiana Jones Jacket Thread

Thanks guys. And to anyone on the fence about a Penman hat, DON'T be. John is probably one of the most helpful/courteous people I have come across.

When thinking about jacket size, don't forget that all the gear takes up space. The jacket's always going to look smaller when you have the bag and gunbelt with holster and whip on.

If you're getting an 80s cut, get your chest size, if you're getting an OTR standard, order one size down. I never liked my standard because it was too baggy, one size down would have made it better. But then I never would would have gotten the 80s fit, which is worlds better IMO.

yep....I too have a Wested 'Raiders' and I love it, as for fit I went with the 80's cut and it was really snug when it first arrived and so I was slightly worried but the jacket does give after a while and I'm glad I chose this fit. Sorry, but haven't got any pics on hand to show....

As per John's suggestion, Wested's washed goat is the way to go if you want a Jacket that is not shiny and has a pre-distressed look.

Hey guys, I can still use a little more help. I called Wested today and they told me that the off the rack sizes were one inch longer in the sleeves and back than standard sizes.

My measurements are a 44 Chest, a 26 back, and a 26 sleeve.

Standard 44 is 44 Chest, 25.5 back and 25.25 sleeve. For off the rack, add an inch.

As you can see, if they are correct, an off the rack 44 would pretty much be my exact measurements. The perks to ordering it off the rack is MUCH faster shipping and I would be able to return it without inccuring additional cost besides shipping in case it didn't fit. What do you guys think?

My only hesitation is that I do like my jackets a tad longer than most, which would probably mean a 27 back would suit my tastes. Ugh. questions, questions.

Thanks guys.

I always think the company you decide to buy from should be the one you get your advise from when it comes to sizes. They should know their product very well.

I tend to agree, but unfortunately, after calling twice I was still left with too many questions to reasonably ask one person lol. I may just be over thinking things.

I decided on a ROTLA Custom 80s cut
28 back
27 sleeve
44 chest
and I am just going to hold my breath and hope its ok!

I thought about calling them - but decided that I don't want to deal with an overseas phone call.
I am going to go for the off the rack jacket - I never have a problem with fitting into OTR stuff.

I took Bendingoak's advice, sent my measurements, and I am going to let them do their thing. I will keep you guys posted!

Unfortunately, OTR sizes are always short on me, both lentgh and sleeves.

Those Nowak jackets are super pricey and not for the faint of wallet.
It continues to perplex me that if Wested made the jackets for the movie why can they not provide a completely accurate recreation? Is this deliberate, accidental or just plain ignorance?
Any members here that have pics to contribute, please do so. I will see if I can get John Penman to post pics of his jackets if he has them...

I think a few things happened. First Peter tweaked things to improve the jacket over all. He also changed thing to make fans happy but now that people have access to better screen grabs, it kinda backed fired on the fans. There were two more movies made with a new designer who changed things. thats it in a nut shell.

I have a Wested lamb but not for costuming; I just like the way it looks. When fall in L.A. rolls around, it's definitely my favorite jacket. The leather is like butter!

I purchased a 'medium' wested on ebay (i'm a 38 and normally wear a small) and i needed to have the sleeves let out, which isn't cheap on a leather jacket. It's definately the shortest leather jacket I own but if you've got the swagger for it, it is a great look.

I have a Wested lamb but not for costuming; I just like the way it looks. When fall in L.A. rolls around, it's definitely my favorite jacket. The leather is like butter!
Same here, except mine is Novapelle, purchased for the purpose of wearing it like any other jacket. Like you wrote, butter; it immediately became my favorite leather jacket (and I've owned a few). And, yeah, it's a bit too warm to wear here in the Los Angeles area unless the temperature dips below, say, 65°F.

Here is a pic of my Tony Nowak Raiders jacket in Shrunken Lamb:

IMG_5043.jpg

And here is a picture of my Tony Nowak made Crystal Skull jacket:

IMG_5056.jpg

These Nowak jackets are the best I have ever owned, and I have owned many Indy jackets from many different makers. They have the best fit and quality of everything I have seen.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back