History of Salzo / Captain Cardboard X-Wings?

Well, guys, I finally heard back from Paypal. They found the kit to be a counterfeit (of course.....) and I was ordered to return the kit to the seller, after which, I get a full refund. Paypal also is going to refund me the shipping cost back to the guy in the form of credit toward future Paypal seller fees.

Unfortunately, the guy gets his kit back. But, according to Paypal, if the guy ever tries to sell it (or another SS X Wing, since there'd be no way to tell it's not the same one), he will be banned from using Paypal forever.

One counterfeiter out......

I think the lesson is that you have to be really careful where you buy these from, but at least on Ebay and through Paypal, there's some recourse. Although this has tied up the money and delayed me from getting a real one for 2 months.

Chris

I am getting the refund too, and I too had to return the kit to the seller.

Unfortunately, the guy gets his kit back. But, according to Paypal, if the guy ever tries to sell it (or another SS X Wing, since there'd be no way to tell it's not the same one), he will be banned from using Paypal forever.

One counterfeiter out......
Chris

Chris, I do not think this will happen unfortunately. I already had similar experience with PayPal before. Yes, they say they will close his account, ban him and all that :behave, but it never happens. I think they just don't want to loose their customers...

Sorry if the following is a bit off-topic:
In my case, a guy was selling a figure on eBay. After the end of the action (which I won), I paid for the figure through PayPal. Then he said he got problem with PayPal account and told me to open a dispute in PayPal and then escalate to a claim in order to get my money back. I did all that and he says 'hey I got another paypal account pay me again and I will ship the figure to you'. I know - if you pay second time for the same item you can't get your money back no matter what, so I refused and contacted paypal and ebay. They said 'Yah, yah we know about the guy, he screwed up, his account will be closed, thank you for your cooperation...'. A while after I received email from another e-bayer telling me about exactly the same issue he experienced with him and asking me what to do.:eek He obviously saw my neutral feedback and decided to ask me what to do....
And that guy still sells stuff on ebay! And what is interesting, his feedback is 100% positive. :angry

Ok I am going to add what I know about this subject. At some point I was working with a freind who had a pyro casting of the X-Wing he even had a set of molds for one and he brought them in to a shop we were working at. I cast a copy for myself. it was in pretty bad shape but it gave me a templet to work from. I started to reconize parts right away I had a 1/32 scale Phantom engine in my spars box and I reconized parts I could get to start to build my own verson of an X-Wing. I had been working on this for a few months really slowly ,but It was more of an archeology project trying to find parts. I had made my wing top engines out of a Monagram kit not realizing it was an Airfix kit that was used on the originals.I had used Chart pack tape to add the pannels to that part. On the pyro casting I had the lower air intake had a taper to them, and I had been looking for something to use for that part and I had a pill bottle that was just right size and taper to match the part from the casting . I found the Sherman tank part for the back of the ship and the one part that looked useful from the pyro was the locomotive part that went in to the center. Other then that it was just find what I could.

As Scott says we were both working on Bicentennil Man. We actually shared a desk for the short time Scott was there. Our supervisor had told me that Dave Beasly had worked on Star Wars.Back then no one talked to Dave about Star Wars as it seemed to mark you as a "Squid" as we called them. A Star Wars Fan boy. We were suposed to be above such things. I brought my parts and the castings in and one day. Then at break I went over and talked to Dave about the taboo subject of his time on Star Wars. Dave was one of the nicest guys I have ever worked with and when I went to talk to him he could not have been more gracious. I told him what I was doing and asked him about what he could remember about the project. For the rest of the project I would share parts finds with Dave and he would share his flying model builds with me. He loved experimental German WWII stuff and loved flying models. Lots of WWII German parts can be found on the stuff Dave worked on.

So as I said Scott and I shared a desk for his time on the project which was kind of short. But the day I talked to Dave I came back to our desk and told Scott about what I was working on and shared my parts and castings with him. He got really excited and said we need to make this a kit. I shared all that I had found with him and he started to ask around and found other guys also doing this kind of thing. I told him about Grants X-Wing and he went and takled to Grant about it. The fusalge was done by Scott in model plank just as he said. it was really a thing of beauty. I went on to other projects but keept sharing things with him as I found them and he did the same with me. He took the project and ran with it. and he and Randy did most of the work on the kit. Not sure if any of my parts were used. I just found my orignal CC X-Wing that i never finished in the garage. this week and have started to work on it again. the only part that seems to have gone missing is the canopy. I got a copy from Scott as a kind of thank you for helping him out on a few projects including casting X-wing kits for him.

One really cool thing to come out of that job on Bicentennial Man was that a lot of guys started asking Dave about his time on Star Wars and just like me he was just as gracious with them. So we got a lot of Star Wars stories out of him. The fact is a lot of us had become model makers becuse of that film and to work with and talk to one of the guys who inspired us was great. I was lucky to work with more then a few of the model makers who worked films that got me into model making. Some of these guys were super crusty, but I always found a way to break the ice with them. Dennis Schults was renowned for being grumpy, but I found out he loved model trains. So told him about the hand made rolling stock that my Grandfather and Great uncle had made that had been passed down to me. I showed him those and he stopped being a grump to me. By the way my real name is Jeff Cupernell if you want to see my credit list. I hope that adds something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am glad I could add something. I have been editing to get rid of spelling mistakes and such. Not sure why some of that last post came out bold. I can not seem to fix that. When I posted my wifi was really slow and I was afaird it would lose the whole post if I did too much last night. It was cool after I got to know Dave every moring, and break he would share stuff with me. As I said he loved flying models and had a bunch of old model airplane magizines from the 50's and he loveed the simple mechanisms that were triggered automatically lowering landing gear dropping parachutes and such on those old models. He must have had a great libiary if the stuff he shared with me was any indication. He had some really great books on experimental German planes of WWII. He was working on a flying model of an early flying wing when we were working together. Someone told me he had duration records for indoor free flight models he had built. His whole attitude was we are all model makers and he had no problem sharing stuff with us. My Dad was very into flying modles as well so I understood his enthusiasm for flying models.. My Dad liked the "Old School" stuff as well. I think the thing that blew most of us away was how much time they had on Star Wars to get that stuff done. Dave told us one of his first jobs was making the hanger for the Star destroyer.

I also was told the John Eves story about the origins of the pyro castings.

Last edited:
@ Brundelfly. Hello. Is there anyway I could have you email these 2 pics to me. I would love to see them, and can't see them on here.

Some of these guys were super crusty, but I always found a way to break the ice with them. Dennis Schults was renowned for being grumpy

Haha Dennis Schultz! Yeah if you look up crusty in the dictionary there's a picture of Dennis. Super curmudgeon but amazing model maker and he was always nice to me. R.I.P. Dennis.

Yea once you broke the ice with Dennis he was a good guy. Everyone who worked with him did an impression of Denis saying "Bite the Shaft " :-D

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back