History of Salzo / Captain Cardboard X-Wings?

Here we go...sorry the pics aren't the best, but I didn't have the time or the motivation to set up the soft box and sweep. I'll just let the images speak for themselves...

Bad_X-wing001.jpg

Bad_X-wing014.jpg

Bad_X-wing013.jpg

Bad_X-wing015.jpg

Bad_X-wing016.jpg

Bad_X-wing012.jpg

Bad_X-wing009.jpg

Bad_X-wing008.jpg

Bad_X-wing007.jpg

Bad_X-wing006.jpg

Bad_X-wing005.jpg

Bad_X-wing004.jpg

Bad_X-wing003.jpg

Bad_X-wing002.jpg

Sorry if this has been done or beaten to death before - but I was also bidding on this kit (unbeknownst to my buddy who won it) and I had already taken it well past $250.00...he ended up paying almost $300 for the kit *thinking* it was an original...

I say we find out who's casting them and pay 'em a visit...

Hey Jeff, thank you for posting this!

Gosh! This looks exactly like the kit I got! Was the guy who sold it from Canada?

I paid $200 by the way. I guess I was lucky :)

Check out the inaccuracy in panel lines on the back of the fuselage - the line much.

In looking at your photos compared to mine, these definitely came from the same scum. Sadly, aside from some of the open-faced small parts, there's nothing in this kit that won't require either a complete rebuild or countless hours of 'fixing' things.

The really sad part is that this kit was listed as a CC kit - people who aren't "in the know" about the quality of Scott's and Mike's original kits are being sent a totally inaccurate message.

I wonder if there's any recourse through Ebay if they're notified that the lister is selling counterfeits, and really BAD counterfeits at that...

J

I decided not to work on this crap and to return the kit to the seller, so I initiated paypal dispute. (I paid through paypal)

My paypal transaction was made outside of ebay so there is no way to leave a feedback... Seller claims that he bought the kit on ebay as well and didn't know it is a recast. He offered is to me as Salzo V.1 but he wasn't sure 100%

Last edited:
Just heard back from my buddy. He bought the model from a seller in PA who also claimed it was a Salzo kit (but admitted he didn't know). His seller history indicates that he's sold 2 previous SS X-wings...so he's either a victim himself, knew what he had and tried to pass it on to recoup his losses, or he's churning garbage in his garage. Having sold two previous SS X-wing kits, I find it hard to believe that he didn't know what he had, or that he wasn't able to discern the differences between an original and a poorly done recast.

Gentlemen,
I'm the sucker who got the latest bogus recast and mailed it off to Jeff.

I've contacted Paypal and a dispute will be opened for a counterfeit item. If that goes through, I'd get my money back, keep the bogus kit, and Paypal has the option to file legal claims against the seller.

The seller was located in PA and has sold at least 2 others of these kits. Who knows how many he's sold through other Ebay names.

I think the bottom line is to not buy these kits through Ebay at all. Hopefully, there will be one less seller peddling bogus X Wings.

Oh, and I'm happy to be on the forum.... I've been lurking for quite some time.

Chris

Chris, I agree. It is not safe to buy from eBay unless you know EXACTLY what you are buying...
I will try to find out from my seller the name of the original seller who sold him that recast and post it here.

Guys, i hope you are able to get some resolution to this....I will say that the one time i got into the "item not as described" dispute with a seller on ebay I did have to jump thru some hoops to prove it. Basically i had gotten what was advertised as a legit Icons Tie and it was a recast, not only a recast but cast out of plaster of paris type material that crumbled when i picked it up. I had to find a "expert" to verify my claim.

I will say that if they ask you guys to do the same you may want to check with Scott (Captain Cardboard), not because i am trying to pass the buck to him, but from the looks of the pics, it's a recast of his version. Also, he has a up and running website/board, and (with my permission) has been selling kits of his version again. I hope you guys are able to get one from him...

I do hope you don't have to do that, but just wanted to share that it's possible.

mike

Guys, good luck in dealing with this mess. When I bought my first V2 a few years ago I emailed pics of the kit the seller had posted to Mike Salzo. He emailed me back and said he believed it was indeed an original V2. I bought the kit and it was beautiful! Straight wings, very nice castings, canons straight, etc. I built it as Blue Leader. I have another V2 in the wings waiting its turn.

Thanks again Mike!

Thanks, guys.

Mike
I sent an email about it earlier to both you and Scott. I had no idea Scott was selling kits again. What version would it be the equivilent of? If I ever get my money back, I will just go straight to the source and pick one up from him.

Do I just need to email him to buy one? The website doesn't look like it's set up to purchase from.

Chris

Yep, just email him, he posted up above near the top of the page here.

He is selling what is usually referred to as the V1 or Captain Cardboard version, same one in the pics you guys have, just not a recast, and his castings are awesome.

Sorry, i did not see an email in regard to this, maybe in my spam filter, for me it's always better to PM me here if you have a ? about something.
mike

As I sit back and take a deep breath, I'm happy in knowing that everyone else feels the same way about this situation, and that both Mike and Scott are the kinda standup guys you want on your side.

J

I'm thinking that when these poor souls file their claims they can use this very thread as evidence...Mike and Scott are right here and can attest that these things, despite what may have been advertised, are not their products.

I'd need a written statement saying that the castings were not theirs.

Mike, I sent the email to both you and Scott using the email function here. I'll resend using the PM...

Thanks
C

Just an update, guys. I filed a dispute through Paypal. They are going to contact me in regards to what proof is necessary. I may only need photographic proof like this thread.

Worst case, the kit will get sent back and I'll get my money back. The other ways this can go is that I'll get my money back, keep the bogus kit, and Paypal will investigate for a pattern of shady sales from this guy. They also said it's possible to link past Ebay accounts, so it's possible this guy has been the one selling these kits to us.

We'll see.... When I get my money back, I'm going to pick up an original from Scott.

C

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back