History of Salzo / Captain Cardboard X-Wings?

I recently purchased SS x-wing kit which seller claimed to be "Salzo v.1." Some of the details look pretty rough so I wonder if there is a way to tell if this is a recast or original kit? Nose is not molded with fuselage but the pin that present on every nose of Salzo and CC kits I saw is absent.

Take some good close ups of the wing edges. Most of the recasts I have seen have very poorly molded wing edges. Also the wings themselves may have warp to them. My two Salzo's (V2's) have nearly flat wings.

This is what I got
image01.jpg

image02.jpg

image03.jpg

image04.jpg

image05.jpg

image06.jpg

image07.jpg

image08.jpg

image09.jpg

Yuck...that's gotta be a recast. Although it looks like they actually went to the trouble of embedding brass rods in the cannons.

Mike can tell you for sure.

I think I have about five of Mike's kits, and not one includes bubbles as bad as those cannons.

If this is an original, Mike was having a very bad day!

Looks like a recast for a number of reasons, the nose is lacking the pin (although that could have been cut off after) is just a start. Some of the locations of the injector/pour spouts are in the wrong spots for the way i molded it, that is the biggest tell. Also looks like the panel lines were thickened/made more deep before the fuselage was molded.

This looks like it could be a recast of the Captain Cardboard version as well. Depends if the wing mounting blocks have the "gear" detail on it instead of the V block that i did. Still i know the way Scott molded it and again this does not match.

I know there are recasts of the CC, V1 and V2 that get floated on ebay sometimes......
mike

mslz22 (Mike), Nwerke and -... . .- --.. - Thank you very much! I really appreciate your input on this!

I will see now if I can return it and get my money back...

No, this guy is from Alberta, Canada... I don't know if it is appropriate to give his personal details here yet as he said he purchased this on ebay and he could be a victim of recasters as well as me.

Last edited:
I know it may sound strange, but it is one of the better ones i have seen....some of the others had wings that were see thru, tons of bubbles and really not something that could be repaired....this may be workable with a little apoxy sculpt. If you got it for a decent price and you are not able to get a resolution, you may want to build it as a beat up x, cover up some of the imperfections with laser blasts and such.

I don't mean to say what you should do with it, just that if you have a chance to make lemonade from lemons sort of thing......I would offer up to get you some good laser cannons if i still had molds, but sadly i do not.....but Scott may.
mike

Thank you Mike! I appreciate you share your thoughts.
I see your point. Sometimes I do feel like keeping it...

It almost looks like like someone recasted a partially built kit. The molds I bought from the dude in Katy Texas last year had all of Mike's kit pieces molded separately. Not sure who in Alberta would be recasting X-Wings...but I remember something about a guy in Alberta a few years ago...

Hey Gus76,

I didn't use my SS cockpit for my V3 build. I used the other "set" version. I can send you my extra. I looks a lot better than the one you got there!

EvanW, thank you very much for the offer!

I think I will try to return the kit first because I know I won't be happy with the kit knowing it is a recast...

Last edited:
Thanks for all the posts it made trying to understand where all these kits came from really easy for me

Gansi

Hey, compared to what I have sitting in front of me, that kit is buildable! Here's the story...I scored an original CC X-wing from a buddy of mine. Scott, awesome kit, casting was flawless, wings were straight and true...so I'm raving to another buddy about the kit, and he goes out and finds one on Ebay...he gets the kit and its absolute junk. Wings are warped, air bubbles everywhere, horrible panel lines, the works. My buddy emails me asking how I managed to build my model from a piece of junk like this. So he sends me the kit, and viola, its no where near what I got in my kit. I've cast a lot of parts in my life and I'd be embarrassed at trying to pawn something like this off as original... I'll post pics here in a few minutes...

Jeff

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back