History of Salzo / Captain Cardboard X-Wings?

So what parts of the ICONS was cast of ILM parts and what was scratched ?

Like I said above....they molded pyro parts, and modified/repaired a few things, fuselage, wings..nose. Scratched others... thier own pilot, made a cockpit based on the casting they had for example.

So a big part of the ICONS was cast off pyro ships ? Cool !

I know the Pyro body was cast left/right instead of top/bottom like the Hero ships. I guess the wings, engines and guns were cast the same Hero and Pyro ?

Frank there is something that was brought up that I don't understand. I've been puzzled by this for a long time, but can't figure out the answer.

Do you know what ships used the flat front droid strip?

I'm assuming it's used where there's a gap between the droid and the strip. But on the red 3 pic close-up it seems that the front has that gap and then the droid strip is cut around the droid. It seems they just sanded the front of the droid strip so it ramps up in the front and over that gap.

I can't seem to find any x-wings with this kind of configuration. And I have pretty good pics of a lot of them - the heroes at least. Could the flat front droid strips be on the pyros?

I tried to put it all together in one pic so you guys can see what I'm thinking.

Good question!

droids.jpg

That is a good question.

I know I have seen it. Let me check my reference.

Also..who has a shot of the ICONS top?

Also the first time I noticed that gap was on Moe's v2 (I think that's the number). I'm assuming that's what we see on that red 3 closup.

Maybe someone dropped the master as they reached for the next BONG hit...and grabbed the "same" part in another kit.

Having recently re-watched the Sculpting A Galaxy DVD, I can't help but think you're exactly right.

Looking forward to seeing that part... do you mean the length of cubes found on Red 3?

The same gap has RED3 thats why I build it.
-and it seems that the R2 strip is cut to fit, and they are most likely cut individually for each ship.

Yes. From Jason's top view pics red 3's droid is much closer to the cockpit than most of the others, and as a result the end point of the droid strip trench on the fuselage was ending before it reached the droid. As you say - individually cut. :thumbsup

There it is....man Im getting Rusty.
I should have remembered that. I knew I had seen it someplace, probably a purposeful "TELL" to make sure an ICONS was never sold as an ORIGINAL. I know there are quite a few of those. Extra panel line here, tiny square there....
I do remember being told, LUCASFILM was really concerned about that at the time. You have to rememeber, this was EARLY in the days of LICENSED PROP REPRODUCTION and the source of the masters were basically out of Grant's shop.

Most of the "younglins" here probably barely remember ICONS. Ha!

r2strip.jpg

Since we're on the sealab...

Beaz (or anyone else). I'm curious about that piece in the middle bottom of the sealab pic.

Is that the piece that supports the phantom engines? It would need to be sanded flat where it's curved. I've thought about it before when looking at scans of sealab. Sure looks like the piece.

I'm curious about that piece in the middle bottom of the sealab pic.

Is that the piece that supports the phantom engines? It would need to be sanded flat where it's curved. I've thought about it before when looking at scans of sealab. Sure looks like the piece.

Yes it is, and it was sanded flat. Each of the Sealab parts in that picture was used on the X-Wing.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back