Iron Man Mechanical Boot - Research

I whipped this up(Dodging work :) ) for the large pistons. Scale is off but I used what I had laying around. Smaller cylinders would be right, I think.

cylinder.jpg

Looks good! What are the cylinders originally used for?

Looks good! What are the cylinders originally used for?

They are CO2 inflators, like you would use in an air pistol or cream whipper. The ones pictured are for bicycle tire inflators. They are sixteen gram. Looking at your photos the 12 gram looks pretty good(I did not have any empties or I would have used the 12s)
I took a shot of the two sizes.
2009_11_23Pictures006.jpg

I don't know that it is how they did it, but I could make one in about 15 minutes. So it seems plausible, rather than them trying to find a similar looking part that fit, they would have made it this way, with stuff they had around.

I have not given up on the large part. I HAVE seen that thing somewhere. I am going to look at some cars I have worked on recently. That may niot be where it comes from, but that is where I would have seen it.

Seeing the driers got me looking at HVAC parts. I still could not find an exact match but I did see some bypass valves that were close. The angled fitting but only a single fitting. I could not find any with two angled outlets.

those brassy knurled angled connectors appear to be a form of BNC connectors OR possibly a locking banana jack inverted (google em) possibly Nakamichi brand (ebay).

I have a couple spools of that braided mesh stuff here's some pics
4400292348_e9ca8f01d4.jpg

4400292638_29128bbc8c.jpg

if you need some for the project I'd be glad to ship ya some scraps for sizing

those brassy knurled angled connectors appear to be a form of BNC connectors OR possibly a locking banana jack inverted (google em) possibly Nakamichi brand (ebay).

I have a couple spools of that braided mesh stuff here's some pics
4400292348_e9ca8f01d4.jpg

4400292638_29128bbc8c.jpg

if you need some for the project I'd be glad to ship ya some scraps for sizing

Hey, much appreciated! I am still gathering more information :)

Just looking at the pics just now, those little piston type thingys look identical to what they use for a rotory valve tuba, such as on a YBB 640, a model I used to use. I can't find any close ups though :/

ybb640.jpg

Just looking at the pics just now, those little piston type thingys look identical to what they use for a rotory valve tuba, such as on a YBB 640, a model I used to use. I can't find any close ups though :/

ybb640.jpg

surely there is a tuba player somewhere on this forum! calling all bandcamp members! photograph your brASS for us ;)

I wonder if propworx will be selling the repulsor boot.. that'd be a good way to see some good closeups!

I can offer some closeups of my iron-man boots ;)
4316423509_83a209b8b5.jpg

Looks like you are off to a great start!! :thumbsup

I considered making a set of these Boots myself but I would Only do it IF I was able to come up with a way to have them actually lift me off the ground...so I'm still stuck trying to figure out a kind of miniature propulsion system for the boots! :)

Ok, I started on the boot and man, that thing is a nightmare... :eek

I have not *one* piece to base my measurements on, but so what :D

Bumping this thread to see if anybody has any pictures from the back of the boot.

Ok, I started on the boot and man, that thing is a nightmare... :eek

I have not *one* piece to base my measurements on, but so what :D

Bumping this thread to see if anybody has any pictures from the back of the boot.

Well like someone else pointed out, it seems theres a rubber 'bootie' in there, probably fit around Robert Downey's foot, with pipes and tubes and stuff molded in. You could start by figuring out those dimensions and work from there.

I don't have an HD copy on hand but here's an image of the rear boot.

Last edited:
This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back