My (Cameron's) Avatar Neytiri sculpture WIP, FINISHED! pics on post 159

RussellSculpts

From what I've seen so far in the trailers and releasd pics I fully expect to be blown away by this movie. To help contain my excitement until the release I've started a project. Based on the pose in the released pic where she is crouched on the rock. So for I've sculpted the head out of clay, and have built an armature for the body out of wire and bondo. I may sculpt the body out of apoxie sculpt. I'll build the rock base out of foam and then fibergalss. Anyway, let me know what you think. The head is about 3", if she were standing she'd be about 25" tall.
DSC03415.jpg
new head
DSC03509.jpg

wanted to show the final sculpt here on the first post, please look through this thread to see all the changes this went through.

Last edited:
Re: My (Cameron's) Avatar sculpture WIP

Nice work so far :thumbsup

bb.jpg

I think Avatar is going to be one of the best movie’s of the last decade, bigger than Star Wars, well, at least bigger and better than the new SW trilogy. If I may compare this masterpiece with Star Wars :unsure

Prototype head mold in progress. I wanted to mold the head first so I don't mess it all up while sculpting the body. I also worked a little more on the armature for th body as well as the rock base.(update, I did not use this head, using my latest version)
DSC03164.jpg

DSC03167.jpg

Last edited:

It's a polyesther base foam, easily carved(2 lb density). It can be coated with polyesther resin and fiberglass without it desintagrating, but I'll probably just coat it with shell shock or similar for the detail work before I mold it.
Nice progress. What did you use to make that base?

That reminds me of the look my cat gives me when she wants food, LOL.

Great job on the sculpt. Look forward to seeing more.

Very Cool.
Great job so far. I also cannot wait for the movie! A whole new movie full of great new props to be made.

James

Looking great so far, you've been a lot more sensible than my current sculpt at that size (first attempt at anything larger than 1/6 scale) and bulked out the armature nicely, I didn't do it anywhere near as much, have about 6lbs of clay on and have only just reached the surface!

Can't wait to see how it progresses.

Some progress pics here. I'm slowly building the body with apoxie sculpt. Later when the body form is done I'll come back and and the fine details, toes, fingers, clothes, etc.. The hair will be like a dolls, and not sculpted. Hopefully I can find some braids that'll work with the sculpt.
DSC03188.jpg

DSC03189.jpg

DSC03191.jpg

Looking good, I am hoping this movie is as good as it looks in the preview!

Saw the imax 3d movie last night. Wow! So much to see you'll have to watch it over and over. Great story, great character development, great creatures, weapons, ships, and on and on. Can't say enough but this is a game changer in the movie biz. Yes technology is developing rapidly, and I know that the computer brings it to life, however, being a hands on artists(sculptor) I'm optomistic that movies like this WILL bring more attention to the artists who put pencil to paper and clay in their hands. If you happen to stay for the credits you would see the hundreds of artists listed, an army.:cool

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back