My (Cameron's) Avatar Neytiri sculpture WIP, FINISHED! pics on post 159

Re: My (Cameron's) Avatar Neytiri sculpture WIP

Ok so I've made some changes to the face. Good or Bad? Please let me know. I resculpted it in clay with these changes, longer face, more nose, slightly opened mouth, more expression in the eyes, and ears pinned back more in almost defensive or attack mode.
DSC03400.jpg

DSC03391.jpg

DSC03387.jpg

One thing I noticed straight away was the lips. They look very male. Her lips should be very full and curvy.

Also, you have the eyecorners line up in a horizontal plane. Her eyes should be slightly crooked and feline - lower inner eye corner and higher outer eye corner.

And I think you should make the cheeks less defined, more straight up and down to give them that soft look, rather than the bony, hard look you have now. These are tough creatures, sure, but they are also regal, strong and beautiful.

I'm sure you may have all these anyway... but thought I could post.

One thing I noticed straight away was the lips. They look very male. Her lips should be very full and curvy.

Also, you have the eyecorners line up in a horizontal plane. Her eyes should be slightly crooked and feline - lower inner eye corner and higher outer eye corner.

And I think you should make the cheeks less defined, more straight up and down to give them that soft look, rather than the bony, hard look you have now. These are tough creatures, sure, but they are also regal, strong and beautiful.

I'm sure you may have all these anyway... but thought I could post.

Thanks for the pics. Yes, good advice. That's what I need to hear. My wife was also complaining about the lips. I do want to get the head right, so important. I got my micro braids in, see the pic.

I like your new sculpt, but it did lose some of the "femininity" of the original. You're closing in on the perfect look...

The braids came out really well, btw.

Third time's a charm, maybe? Made some more changes, slanted the eyes, fuller lips, less bony cheeks, more forehead,inhanced eyebrows, widened head at ears so they weren't so sunk in.
DSC03415.jpg

DSC03416.jpg

I don't know how I missed this?! :O

The second "revision" was indeed a bit too "male-ish" but this one, incredible..It's a true beauty! Awesome work..

I really wish I could get statue like this.....I can only imagine how much would it cost! :(

Still, can't wait to see it finished ;)

Thats looking great, I just looked through this whole thread, and the new head is really an improvement:thumbsup

yes, as soon as i saw the 3rd head sculpt, it hit me, PERFECT!!!!! spot on, this is an unbelieveable project, and a joy to follow, fabulous work
all the best
colin

Do you have a sideview of the head as well?
Thanks so much everyone, it's good to finally hear that I'm getting close, am I there? Maybe. Wait til I get her all painted up and hair on, I even intend to make her riding googles as an accessary.
Big thanks to Too Much Garlic, I needed that pic(the one in her pose), the one I had you couldn't enlarge, but your I was able to and really see the face detail.:thumbsup
and yes I'll take more pics of the head and post them soon.

Last edited:
Re: My (Cameron's) Avatar Neytiri sculpture WIP, new head page 4

You're welcome.

EDIT: Oh... apparently photobucket didn't downscale these... weird.

EDIT2: I can't get over what a change those alterations made... what an improvement.

Last edited:

You're welcome.

EDIT: Oh... apparently photobucket didn't downscale these... weird.

EDIT2: I can't get over what a change those alterations made... what an improvement.

Thanks man, I just finished watching the blu-ray, awesome, so much to see. I'm still happy with the third head, but the movie let me see more of her flying chaps, and there's much more detail than what I've sculpted, so I have more revisions to make. Oh well, it's all good, even more inspired now to make this thing really great!
Oh and a person on another forum advised me that Neytiri only has a hoop earring in her right ear and not the left, I never noticed that before, most reference shots don't show it, and in the movie her hair covers the left ear in most shots.

Revision is great. I hate to chime in late with more face crits but I'm gonna anyway. :) Is it just a shadow effect or is the tip of her nose asymmetrical? And looks as if the nose could use a little taper in the width? Chin could be a tiny bit longer and she needs some kind of slight bags under her eyes. Also, her mouth is a little wide - the corners of the mouth line up with the inner corners of the eyes. This is great work though, you've captured the character fine so ignore me if you don't feel like fiddling with her face any further. :D

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back