CLONE WARS weekly discussion thread

cayman shen

Master Member
I searched and saw several disconnected threads on the Clone Wars series, but none dedicated to weekly conversation. So I thought I'd make one. Maybe the mods would sticky it? I dunno.

The episode last night (11/20) just tickled me pink. Zombie bugs, nods to Aliens, a nun on a speeder bike. God it was a hoot. It had all the camp of a great old Marvel comic story. Bring on the giant green rabbits! The worm mind control thing was also a nod to something, but I can't quite put my finger on it...except it had a bit of a Khan vibe, of course.

Next episde looks top notch as well. Star Wars and horror make a pretty good mix, if you ask me.

Did anyone catch the Aliens Motion Tracker noise?

This is one of my favorite eposides yet. This series has totally rekindled my passion for Star Wars. I was actually really disappointed to hear there was no new episode next week!

Did anyone catch the Aliens Motion Tracker noise?

This is one of my favorite eposides yet. This series has totally rekindled my passion for Star Wars. I was actually really disappointed to hear there was no new episode next week!

Yeah I noticed that too. I keep wondering why the clones need spotlights, other than for the audience. You would assume their helmets have nightvision/thermal cameras.

I think pretty much every show is on hiatus for two weeks or even until after Christmas.

My sons are addicted to this show and I am not afraid to say I like it, too. Great series with great arcs and characterizations.

My only on-going question is why we have yet to see even the slightest Dark Side impulses in Anakin Skywalker. We see him be brash and resistant to orders, but have yet to see anything remotely suggesting his eventual turn.

Anybody?

I think the whole four episode cycle on Geonosis, ending with the next new episode, is some of the best material we've seen yet.

The ending of the second episode, where they rescue Ahsoka and Baris Offee was a little weak. I would have made a better cliffhamger ending, and leave them down there until the next episode. But I guess the real thrust of the episode was to further illustrate Anakin's inability to let go.

Is it just me, or did Obi Wan come off as a bit of a dick when he was ready to sacrifice Luminara Unduli to satisfy his scientific curiousity? Or was he just bluffing?

The next episode, worms aside, appears to have a definite "Alien" vibe, at least from what I've seen in the preview. Is Baris Offee in ROTS? Judging by the preview, she's infected by the worm, and Ahsoka has to do something rash...

The answer I keep hearing to that question is that this series isn't about Anakin's eventual fate, but about the time he spent as a hero and why he is regarded as the best by the time that ROTS happens

The answer I keep hearing to that question is that this series isn't about Anakin's eventual fate, but about the time he spent as a hero and why he is regarded as the best by the time that ROTS happens

One of the major criticisms for ROTS is that Anakin's fall seemd awfully quick. While the series does focus on his triumphs, there are the subtle indicators of what will lead to his fall. Particularly his attachment to Ahsoka. I have a feeling he will lose her at some point in the final season, and that will contribute to his decline.

I always thought the criticism of Anakin's fall was more due to a lack of understanding of what Yoda says in ESB. He pretty much tells Luke that the minute you start using the Dark Side, you're lost. There's no big jump, it just takes you over. I think that even though there were subtle things in AOTC and ROTS, I think that what makes it scary is that those little things are all it takes.

I've said it and said it: turning to the dark side is not like becoming a bad person. It's like demon posession, very fast, very radical.

Tan Djarka, I think Obi-Wan was just having a bit of fun with his "scientific curiosity." I don't think he was actually willing to let it happen. There was a lot of Indiana Jones style banter in that scene, I thought. Luminara trying to hurry him, Anakin's "examine my boot" line...the writing on this show is solid.

I just finished Season 1. I hope we see a little more Cad Bane. And we know the Mandalorians are coming!

You may be right, but I took it a different way. While Anakin may be too attached to the people is his life, Luminara and Obi Wan seem a little too detached and are ready to give up their padawans and comrades far too quickly. But that's just the impression I got.

Anakin's "boot" comment, it seemed to me, was out of frustration over how Obi Wan's scientific curiousity partly overrode his sense of urgency and the potential danger of the worms. I think it was less a friendly ribbing and more Anakin's way to impress upon him what he felt was important at that moment.

Oh yeah, I agree with you on both counts. In fact, I think that one of the ironies of the PT is that the Jedi's self-satisfaction, hubris, and lack of compassion masquerading as detachment directly contributed to their own downfall. Reading between the lines, I think the Order was in its decline already. How can you have an order of supernaturally powerful elites who are only partially answerable to any authority but their own and not have it stagnate or grow corrupt? Not to offend anyone, but I think of the Jedi as the Catholic Church in the PT, with all the good intentions but all of the same blindnesses of a massive institution whose leadership is removed from the people it ostensibly serves. Hell, Lucas put the council in an "ivory tower" at the top of a pyramid. That says something.

Friday's episode was a lot of fun to watch. You can tell the artists, designers and crew are having fun with the series as well, because they incorporate 'nods' to various other movies. (Staff of Ra, D-Day invasion, Queen Alien, et al)

One thing I didn't quite understand was in the episode with Padme and the senator that visit Cato Neimoidia . . . Neimoidia wasn't "enemy" territory. The episode commentary stated that the homeworld of the Neimoidians was still neutral territory. Yet, in the Expanded Universe, Cato Neimoidia is taken by Kenobi and Skywalker shortly before the Battle of Coruscant (Labyrinth of Evil). Now I'm just getting picky.

Oh yeah, I agree with you on both counts. In fact, I think that one of the ironies of the PT is that the Jedi's self-satisfaction, hubris, and lack of compassion masquerading as detachment directly contributed to their own downfall. Reading between the lines, I think the Order was in its decline already. How can you have an order of supernaturally powerful elites who are only partially answerable to any authority but their own and not have it stagnate or grow corrupt? Not to offend anyone, but I think of the Jedi as the Catholic Church in the PT, with all the good intentions but all of the same blindnesses of a massive institution whose leadership is removed from the people it ostensibly serves. Hell, Lucas put the council in an "ivory tower" at the top of a pyramid. That says something.

That's it exactly.

That's it exactly.

No matter how good this series gets, no matter how many awesome moments there may be, no matter how likable they make Anakin, there will always be this one small detail that will forever taint the prequel trilogy and all it's associated material into the ground.

Padme dies of a broken heart and that's bullsh**.

Friday's episode was a lot of fun to watch. You can tell the artists, designers and crew are having fun with the series as well, because they incorporate 'nods' to various other movies. (Staff of Ra, D-Day invasion, Queen Alien, et al)

One thing I didn't quite understand was in the episode with Padme and the senator that visit Cato Neimoidia . . . Neimoidia wasn't "enemy" territory. The episode commentary stated that the homeworld of the Neimoidians was still neutral territory. Yet, in the Expanded Universe, Cato Neimoidia is taken by Kenobi and Skywalker shortly before the Battle of Coruscant (Labyrinth of Evil). Now I'm just getting picky.

I couldn't make that out either...the Seperatists still have representatives in the senate? That makes no sense to me. They're enemies and they have a vote?!

I'm enjoying the hell out of this show. Perfect end-of-the-week veg out fodder, and a terrific little weekly fix of Star Wars. Love it.

Particularly like that the writers are providing more of the relationship between Anakin and Obi Wan than we've seen in the films. They really are friends and like bothers; Anakin the younger play it fast and loose, and Kenobi the nagging older one. Also shows how formidable Anakin is and why he would be so feared as Vader.

Would love to see an identical treatment for Indy. Clone Wars at 8, The Further Adventures of Indy (something like that) at 8:30 would be the best hour of TV since Sci-Fi Buzz and Cool Stuff from the Cosmos (said with hand over heart).

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back