CLONE WARS weekly discussion thread

I think that the deserter episode was the setup to eventually get Rex out of Order 66. I think they've made him too much of a hero now to kill him off / let him go bad. So I suspect he'll desert at some point.

It would fit because in ROTS a Commander Appo is leading the 501st. So either Rex dies or he deserts. I like though how they kind of followed the RC/IC books by showing how some Clones know it's not right, but they still feel obligated to their job and the other troopers because that's all they know.

The description said it was a 2010 episode....

Last nights was Eoth Koth being kidnapped by Grievous. According to previous posts, it's already aired - i hadn't seen it though. :)

I swear I saw the Pixar's ball in it, too :)

The description said it was a 2010 episode....

Last nights was Eoth Koth being kidnapped by Grievous. According to previous posts, it's already aired - i hadn't seen it though. :)

I swear I saw the Pixar's ball in it, too :)

Yeah, it originally aired on January 2nd. I'm tired of the amount of time between episodes. It's really getting annoying.

New one on tonight (right now). Looks like Ahsoka has picked up Obi Wan and Anakin's bad habit of losing their lightsabers.

Next week... Mandalorians!

Last edited:
The commercial for next week looked awesome!! The ep. tonight was ok.. not the best, but good to see familiar characters & new ones.

Last night's episode was really good. Anyone else recognize the girl who stole the lightsaber as being a nod to some of Ian Mccaig's concept work with EP I?

There is a history of the New Mandalorians turning to pacifism, but last night's preview featured one of the Mando's saying "Death Watch". If they are gonna be Death Watch, give them the Death Watch helmets and not the traditional buy'ce. Jango's group of Cuy'val Dar, the mercenary bounty hunter type of Mandalorian that most of us are familiar with through the movies and novels, may just be another offshoot. I'm curious how they're gonna work this into the EU without involving another Sarlacc...and Tag and Bink. I'm just saying.

I was bummed when we learned last month that Traviss isn't writing Imperial Commando (which is what Republic Commando transitioned into. Contrary to belief they are not two separate series) #2. She's developed such a rich Mando'ade history and culture. To hell with Pandora, I wanna run off to Mandalore.

Last edited:
Yeah I hope they have the right Death Watch helmets. I think the Mandos shown were the ones mentioning Death Watch, not that they were Death Watch. It is promising that they are even following that because it sounded like they were totally rewriting the Mandos. I still don't see why they are changing the EU with this crap. If I had to guess, and I'm not one to dump on Lucas, I'd say Lucas came up with this. Why else would you change it?

I was bummed when we learned last month that Traviss isn't writing Imperial Commando (which is what Republic Commando transitioned into. Contrary to belief they are not two separate series) #2. She's developed such a rich Mando'ade history and culture. To hell with Pandora, I wanna run off to Mandalore.

Imperial Commando 2 is being written, just not by Traviss. They said they are going to find another writer. I hope they at least ask KT what direction she was going in.

One thing I kept wondering in this episode is why Ahsoka never just Force grabbed that chick and pinned her to a wall like that fishy dude. I loved how he said something about lightsabers being harder to use and held up a bandaged forearm! :lol

Just curious guys but is there a clone wars movie that preceeds season 1? Seems to me i saw something at one time where Obi Wan surprises Anakin with his padawan, but I just started watching the series and Anakin already has Asoka with him.. Maybe I'm watching in the wrong order...

Yes, the movie was simply titled "The Clone Wars" and was released seperately on DVD. The movie takes place prior to the series and it's actually Yoda that surprises Anakin by having him teach Ahsoka.

Don't feel too bad about seeing the movie first. The first season jumps around the timeline a little. There is an episode late in the season that takes place just before the movie, and a few other episodes that have no Ashoka anywhere in it.

Well, it's not a popular thought, but... I don't like KT's take on the Mandalorian's. I never have. I wanted to love the Mando's, but the culture seemed too flat to me. All warrior, all the time, walking around town in armor... It didn't have enough depth or variety for my taste.

I like the idea that Jango was a bad-azz bounty hunter. I don't think that being Mandalorian should be a genetic predisposition to that though ;)

I'm interested to see how Dave F. and crew re-write that world. Right off the bat it seems like it should be pretty interesting. I've liked what they've done with the franchise so far, so this has good potential.

I'll wait for the episode to air before I start on my Clone Wars Mando armor though ;)

Well, it's not a popular thought, but... I don't like KT's take on the Mandalorian's. I never have. I wanted to love the Mando's, but the culture seemed too flat to me. All warrior, all the time, walking around town in armor... It didn't have enough depth or variety for my taste.

I like the idea that Jango was a bad-azz bounty hunter. I don't think that being Mandalorian should be a genetic predisposition to that though ;)

I'm interested to see how Dave F. and crew re-write that world. Right off the bat it seems like it should be pretty interesting. I've liked what they've done with the franchise so far, so this has good potential.

I'll wait for the episode to air before I start on my Clone Wars Mando armor though ;)
Seemed flat? Wow, I took it quite the opposite. They take in every stray, adopt them into families and treat every other Mandalorian like family. Well, aside from those Death Watch members that is. They had farmers, iron workers, ship builders, doctors, people who handled cattle on top of being bad ass warriors. To me, it read much like the Spartans. They were warriors first, but did what was needed, where it was needed for family and Mandalore.

it could just be bias because i don't like the mando sub culture she created...

to me her mando books always read like one of those video games where there are only 2-3 character models, and everyone is just that model in a different color.

i imagined that you'd get to keldabe and see the blacksmith, farmer, etc... all wearing the same mando armor just in different colors.

i also have this association with the old rankin and bass rudolph show about how one of the mandos doesn't want to be a warrior, he just wants to be a dentist, and they all look down on him because of it...

it could just be bias because i don't like the mando sub culture she created...

to me her mando books always read like one of those video games where there are only 2-3 character models, and everyone is just that model in a different color.

i imagined that you'd get to keldabe and see the blacksmith, farmer, etc... all wearing the same mando armor just in different colors.

i also have this association with the old rankin and bass rudolph show about how one of the mandos doesn't want to be a warrior, he just wants to be a dentist, and they all look down on him because of it...
LOL...well put. That said, this next week's Clone Wars could shatter all of Travis' work in regards to Mandalorians. Lucas has that damn line about canon...if it didn't happen on film, it didn't happen.

Seriously though, it may be a cartoon, but I am enjoying The Clone Wars. It's pretty well done. The movie was a **** poor example of the series. I also find it fascinating that there are 5-6 year olds out there who's only exposure to Star Wars is this series...and they love it.

i

Well I for one would be ticked if I'd saved all year for a trip to Mandalore and then get there an noone was wearing armor! :lol

I don't think though that everyone wears armor constantly. I think when the characters were home they wore clothes just like Jango was doing in AOTC. Then when they go out to a town or on a trip they wear armor. Heck you could walk through the worst areas of any city on any planet and it's likely noone would mess with you.

I think they could easily have fixed the whole rift between the series and EU by saying Mandalore is the name of whatever planet the Mandalore is based on. So if the original is wiped out by war, then the planet Mandalore in the current EU is a different planet they moved to.

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back