Supertrain

this train is wide. the one being done is o scale. The locomotive is 24" long and 8 1/2" wide, the train is 16 and a half foot long. To give you an idea, a T scale version( 1:450) would basically run on HO gauge track, perhaps wide is the understatement :lol

Will

Yeah, I noticed that...within the context of the show, the train could only travel on its on specially-built tracks, never being able to cross over to existing lines. Very limiting to its usefulness. ;)

Been a while since I've posted

well, I guess you could say construction has begun..I finished up the cads and cut the plexy for the master patterns of the nose. I'm working on this with Darren Peters, also a fan and model maker. So see, there's a few of us...lol We've been collaborating on the details and dimensions shapes and what have you, to do this model in O scale. It works out that the locomotive is just over 24" long and each passenger car will be 19" long. The fun part is doing the math for a 9 car train..gonna be awesome finished.. Anyway, Darren has the parts to build up the master patterns for the nose of the Supertrain...It's WIDE! :lol

Will

Last edited:
This plexy pattern will be filled in , smoothed up to a super polished glass finish then be molded and cast to make the final forming plugs/bucks for the vacuformed shells. One will be formed clear for the windows and main body, and another for the frames and shell details. The build process should go pretty quick.I enclosed a pic showing my hand next to it to give you an idea of how big this is going to be.

Will

Man I loved this train as a kid! I don't remember anything about the show except for those cool track/train perspective shots and that opening music! As a kid I built a small n-scale version that ran on my track.

Haha...I think it was made out of poster board. :lol

Good job Will! :thumbsup

Howdy,
I did a little more on it today, adding the second layer of details, finished adding the vents, then molded it. I will be at the shop tomorrow casting projects and I'll cast one up to see how it looks. I will use this casting to really refine the details for the final molds

Will

first casting, I'm having a alcohol flash off issue with molds or it would be a much smoother finish...i'll do another tonight...baked my mold last night after repeated attempts to cast this little guy so this should do the trick. The alcohol in the mold system was inhibiting the cure of the resin...hence the bumpy dirty result...still, I think it turned out pretty cool

Will

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back