Studio scale Tantive IV

I recall reading some place that the studio model included a miniature 'center fold' or such, pinned up in the ships bridge. Any plans to replicate that detail?

Was looking for where I read it... haven't be able to find the reference yet. But I did find a comment online by someone who seems to indicate both were correct...

"As an in joke in A New Hope the modelmakers who built the Tantive V rebel blockade runner mad a very detailed full interior and if you looked inside the model through the bridge you could clearly see a shrunken Star Wars Release poster on the left corridor and a Playboy centerfold on the right wall. Only in the model, not with the actual set pieces.
"

http://forums.starwars.com/thread.jspa?messageID=17772682

So maybe we're both right.

Leif

There definately was a centerfold, miss december or something...
I am not going to replicate that, it was ILM`s joke and they sure spent it well.
I want to make mine more like i thought bit would be, with a large open entrance in the back of the cockpit revealing the long hallway behind it.

So maybe we're both right.

Leif

Yes, you are! Check out pg.9 of 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones'.

I think the centrefold was there first, for Star Wars, and the poster was added when the model was reworked and filmed again for Jedi.

JD1 is right, they originally placed a miniature version of the Playboy Centerfold (July 1976 issue by the way) in the cockpit and added the SW One Sheet later.

EDIT: I posted the respective picture of the lady but have been told by several members there might be the chance of getting in trouble therefore.

I have no idea why it should be a problem to show something most natural though... Or is it because of the lack of silicone or other materials (in the end this is still a modeler's forum...)? :eek

Cheers!
Falk

Last edited:
Yes, you are! Check out pg.9 of 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones'.

I think the centrefold was there first, for Star Wars, and the poster was added when the model was reworked and filmed again for Jedi.

Thanks JD1! I don't have 'From Star Wars to Indiana Jones', but I knew I've read it someplace. Have to get me that book.

I was curious about what scale the centerfold was in, since the model had two different scales. But then I realized that it's probably in scale with the ship's existence as Tantive IV, since the centerfold was for July 76.

Leif

She's a little blurry:

StarWars025-vi.jpg

... to use Episode 3 as reference ...

Jim, you can't be serious! That wasn't even a Corellian Corvette - it was an embarrassing CGI version of a ridiculous toy!

... Nothing to do with Star Wars at all if I'd be asked (like most of the rest of the so called "prequels"; but that's another story)

I want to make mine more like i thought bit would be, with a large open entrance in the back of the cockpit revealing the long hallway behind it.

I was asking if he was going to use the details of the set the actors sat in Episode 3 as reference to make a scale cockpit.

I was not asking if he was going to use the CGI exterior of a ship from EP3 as reference for an ANH Studio Scale model.

Jim,

I guess it was pretty clear from your first post that you mean the cockpit, but why should Lasse ruin his fantastic build using crappy components which are completely out of canon?

C'mon, these "prequel" CGI "wizzards" :sick couldn't care less about continuity or scale. My grandma has more resemblance with a certain protocol droid than that thing we see in E3 with any spaceship from Star Wars.

What is sold as "Tantive IV" is 100% out of proportion, and I get sick if only I think about details like the landing gear or hangar bay they incorporated!

I guess it was pretty clear from your first post that you mean the cockpit, but why should Lasse ruin his fantastic build using crappy components which are completely out of canon?

Based on his response to me earlier, it sounds like Lasse isn't concerned with making the cockpit perfectly match the studio models' cockpit.

There definately was a centerfold, miss december or something...
I am not going to replicate that, it was ILM`s joke and they sure spent it well.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you about the quality of the ROTJ depiction, but technically speaking it's part of the saga, while the bridge of the ANH Tantive IV doesn't appear in the OT. So I think there's some room for debate about which version is more canonical.

But let's not debate it here in Lasse's thread.

Thanks for your PM btw, hopefully I explained myself ok.

Leif

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back