Reference Material: Left 4 Dead First Aid Kit (for those interested, GRAPHICS HEAVY)

CB2001

Master Member
Before I begin, this isn't me showing off a prop I own. I figured this would be a good idea for a post, something to use as a reference for those who may be interested in doing this particular item as well.

As of right now, since I'm trying to figure out where I want to purchase the liquid latex to mix with paint for my Michael Myers mask repaint. But until I can finally decided, I figured I'd share a little info on another item I'm considering on making (in fact, I had been considering on constructing one for quite some time now). So, I figured I'd share some reference material and information I've come across about this particular video game prop that is just as iconic as the characters in the game: The Left 4 Dead first aid kit.

Here are a couple of pictures of the kit. Granted, the pictures are not really big, but it gives you an idea on how the med kit appears in the game:
Medkit_1.png
l4d_health_pack_jpg.jpg

Now, for those who haven't played the game, some of the props (other than the weaponry) are based on real world items. For example, the equally famous "pain pills" in the game have a label that is similar to the design of the Target brand ibuprofen (the differences between them are really small, including the lack of the "Target" symbol and how the information about the count of the tables on the real label is where "PAIN PILLS" are located on the label in game). While I was attempting to find information about the first aid kit in the game, including more pictures in higher quality of the med kit, I discovered the real world counterpart to the first aid kit:

image_974.jpg

The above kit is Ortovox First Aid Pouch. Honestly, I considered on buying a pack from here to use as a base, but according to the site where I found this, it is currently "inactive and not for sale." However, some of the information on the site about the pack appears to be rather useful. The only differences between the real world first aid pouch and the first aid kit in "Left 4 Dead" that I can tell is that where the brand name is on the real world pouch, "First Aid" is located on the in-game item. Also, the First Aid cross is actually inverted (instead of a white cross, it's a wide box with a red cross).

Of course, during my searches for info, I found one person who was making and selling "Left 4 Dead first aid kits" from a video that was posted at Gametrailers.com, the user who posted it received one, back before the "First Aid" patch was added to it . However, from the pictures as you can see, the kits aren't 100% accurate. But the real issue I had with it is the pricing for them (this person is selling them for $45, but from what I've heard, it's mainly because the person who is selling them is actually stocking them like real first aid kits, with everything from bandages, alcohol wipe pads, etc). Here's a couple of pictures of them.

il_fullxfull100442533.jpg

il_fullxfull100442532.jpg

Now, here comes some "important" information about the first aid kit. From the website of the person selling the L4D First Aid kits, the dimensions of the kit is 8" w x 10 " l x 3 " d.

The above information sounds like it's correct. However, the real world counterpart, Ortovox First Aid Pouch, the size of that particular kit is: 28 w x 18 l x 6 d cm.

Another thing that was somewhat confusing to me was the black strap that went across the front of the pouch (in both the real world and in-game pouches). After doing some more looking around, I found another site that was also selling a similar pouch (even from the same company) that is also discontinued, when I found this picture on its site:

ortovox_first_aid_big.jpg

I don't know if the pouch in the first picture does the same thing (which would explain the black strap in the front), but it does explain why there are two black zippers and why it seems a little odd why there'd be two zippers for someone to use to reach into the pouch for. Honestly, unless someone happens to have the Ortovox First Aid Pouch or knows someone who does, it's hard to say if the black strap is mean to be a "handle" to open the pouch (if it does, then that would mean the in-game version of the kit, or at least in the fictional world of the game, would do the same if it were a real life item).

Another detail that varies is the pouch's ability to stay on a character with no straps. According to the information I read about the Ortovox kit, it is an item that would be stored in an backpack, which suggests that it wouldn't be worn like in the game. Now, a lot of fans who have done cosplay who have made their own packs normally include straps the same color as the pouch itself. Of course, many of these cosplayers often use an already existing pouch (namely the kind of mini-girls purse bags) that does not look at all like the pouch in game. The pouch being sole for $45 (mentioned earlier) appears to have black staps that may be used to "wear" the pack (as you can see in the second picture).

I hope that the following information is useful to others who are also interested in making the "Left 4 Dead" first aid kit pack. If any others have any additional information or even better shots of the in-game pack or its real world counterpart (even potential material that could be used for the replica), by all means, feel free to contribute.

Last edited:
Re: Reference Material: Left 4 Dead First Aid Kit (for those interested, GRAPHICS HEA

I enjoyed reading your analysis of the virtual bag versus the real bag - I'm a huge fan of L4D and you've got me thinking it'd be nice to have one of these on the bookcase in my office/game room.

Have you seen the defib from L4D2? Looks like a prop waiting to be made... the adrenaline shot is too small to get much detail from (just like the pill bottle) but the defib looks possible.

Jim

Re: Reference Material: Left 4 Dead First Aid Kit (for those interested, GRAPHICS HEA

I enjoyed reading your analysis of the virtual bag versus the real bag - I'm a huge fan of L4D and you've got me thinking it'd be nice to have one of these on the bookcase in my office/game room.

Have you seen the defib from L4D2? Looks like a prop waiting to be made... the adrenaline shot is too small to get much detail from (just like the pill bottle) but the defib looks possible.

Jim

Thanks. Even now, I'm still doing the research on it, trying to see what could possibly be used to make a medkit pouch that seems sturdy and realistic (the closest material I can think of is the same kind of material many backpacks are made out of, but I'm still looking into it), because there's always the possibility of one or more material that can help in making the replica look decent. Of course, throughout my searches, I have come across some people who have either scratch built their pouch or they modified an existing item (such as a lunchbox) to make it.

Yes, I've seen the defibrillator from L4D2, and also think it looks interesting (and possibly challenging) for prop replica makers if they want to do it.

Last edited:

where can i buy the first aid kit that is show with the Left 4 Dead PC game?

where can i buy the first aid kit that is show with the Left 4 Dead PC game?

I'm regret to inform you that the user who used to make and sell these, Sin Dee Gee, is no longer making them. She has a store up at Etsy.com. I first came across these from this video. And I was lucky to see one at Spooky Empire's Ultimate Horror Weekend (in the window of a Hearse parked out in front).

Honestly, you'd have better luck scratchbuilding a replica.

New update:

My father actually point this out to me, since he knows I'm into replicas and how I did my study on this particular in-game item (especially since he and I played both Left 4 Dead games and Killing Floor on a regular basis).

Well, gaming apparel website Glitch Gaming has released an official L4D "medkit" backpack. It's fairly accurate to the in-game item (and is close to the size judging from the measurements on the website to the in-game item). It's meant to be sort of like a backpack, and they have the "Left 4 Dead" title where its suppose to say "first aid" and the L4D logo where the "red cross" patch is suppose to be located. I honestly cannot say how good it is as a replica or as the basis for a decent replica, as I have not seen this in person. One of the issues I have with this replica is the pricing.

Anyway, here's the website for it: Official Left 4 Dead Health Pack - Glitch Gaming Apparel

Hey, have you made your L4D med kit yet? I was looking for one but can't find the Ortovox first aid pouch any where either. Sounds like they stopped making them years ago which sucks because it looks way better than their new ones :( Let me know if you have pictures of your med kit...

Hey, have you made your L4D med kit yet? I was looking for one but can't find the Ortovox first aid pouch any where either. Sounds like they stopped making them years ago which sucks because it looks way better than their new ones :( Let me know if you have pictures of your med kit...

I'm afraid I've been slightly busy with a lot of things, such as moving from Orlando, getting ready to move into a new house, finding work and heading to DragonCon. Yeah, the Ortovox pouches are no longer being produced. The closest thing you're going to get is the offical L4D medpack I linked to above, or one of the discontinued fan-made kits I pointed out also above. I don't know if I'll proceed with it, but at least I know I have the resources and info I need. Honestly, I've been looking for another prop to do a similar analysis and breakdown that I'd like to try sooner or later.

For anyone reading this in 2015 (it's been a while since anyone posted here), although the Ortovox kits are discontinued they do still have some available, if you contact the company directly. I purchased one myself recently as I really wanted this kit! It looks exactly the same as the one in L4D apart from the medical cross and 'first aid' label on the front - this should be easy to fix! It's worth checking with Ortovox to see if they have any more.

For anyone reading this in 2015 (it's been a while since anyone posted here), although the Ortovox kits are discontinued they do still have some available, if you contact the company directly. I purchased one myself recently as I really wanted this kit! It looks exactly the same as the one in L4D apart from the medical cross and 'first aid' label on the front - this should be easy to fix! It's worth checking with Ortovox to see if they have any more.

Nice find! And thanks for the info. :D

HEllo,
I'm new here and read your article thank you for your great work ! I would like to buy one Ortovox first aid pouch but I can't find any of this on internet.
I contact ortovox germany and brand in USA but there is no one available...
Do you have one left to sell ? I can pay shipping and extras...please let me know.
Thank you very much,

CB

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back