Studio Scale TIE Bomber

Scratchy

Sr Member
I'm using 2 inch white PVC vacuum pipe, this pipe is used for indoor vacuums for homes. It looks to be about .060 thick and appears to be soft like styrene, so engraving it should be very workable. I got a 5'5" piece for $2.00cdn at Home Depot. I'll need to sand the outer walls smooth, but I don't forsee any problems with that. When I cut the pieces in my compound mitre saw, there was no chipping at all, nice clean cut, just need to cut it slow. Cutting it fast would cause "waves" in the cut.

I glued some styrene to it and it just took beautifully!

Well, I cut the tubes to 88.5 millimeters,
IMG_4057.jpg

and I sanded the outer walls, finishing with a 400grit with the aid of a 6 speed orbital sander (set at the lowest speed)
IMG_4059.jpg

Here's a couple of pics of where I stand now with the parts collection,
IMG_4061.jpg

IMG_4062.jpg

And where the build will remain, until I finish tracking down the other parts.
IMG_4063.jpg

IMG_4064.jpg

The TIE Bomber part hunt shall continue...:cry

Last edited:
Re: TIE Bomber Studio Scale Parts Collection

Heres a list of the kits that is needed for the TIE Bomber, well the select parts in these kits. If anyone has the kit number of the kits missing their number, could you please post it.

Tie Bomber Kit List (this kit list will be updated when new information is either found or supplied)

MPC
Darth Vader TIE Fighter *

Airfix
1/144 Saturn V (2 kits) (A11170) (newer release will also work) *
1/24 Hawker Harrier AV 8AGr, (2 kits) (vintage kit #18001-4 - newer release will also work)
1/24 Stuka(18002) *

Hasegawa
1/72 Leopold German Railway Gun K5(E) (6 kits) MB28 (31028) *
1/72 Morser Karl German 600mm on Railway Carrier (5 kits) MB32 (31032) *

Tamiya
1/35 German 88mm Gun Flak36 (35283) *
1/35 20mm Flak 38 Flakveiling (5 kits) (35091*1000) *
1/35 M3 LEE (35039*1600) *
1/35 Hanomag Sdkfz251/1 (4 kits) (35020*2200) *
1/35 20mm Flak 38 MIT Sd.Ah.51 (35102)
1/35 British 25Pdr. Field Gun (35046*1200)

Battleships
1/700 British Battleship Prince of Wales (3 kits) (31615*2000) *
1/700 British Battleship HMS Rodney (77502**2000)
1/700 Japanese Battleship Yamato (77009 - Original) (discontinued)
1/700 Scharnhorst (77518) *
1/700 Shinano (77024*1300 - Original) (discontinued)
1/700 Junyo (31212**2400) *

Plastruct
Elipse Cap VHD-200 Part #95805 *
Hemi Cap VHH-200 Part #95855 *

Alumminum armiture
3/4 / .750 Dia. / 12.7mm Tube (210mm) *

Last edited:

good luck on finding TWO harriers (at a fair price).

patience is what i preach for those guys.

Very precise cuts. :thumbsup

I like to watch ebay for partially completed kits to save some loot. It can be a gamble, but if you have a photo of the parts you need some sellers will have a look for you.

I've collected all the kits for this and am about to start.

How did you get the measurement for the 88.5mm length of the PVC? Are you working from plans?

There is no accurate plans AFAIK, you just have to scale up or down pics of the actual filming mini, using kitparts as ref !

I made another cut of the PVC prior to the 88.5mm cut that I found at SSM, I compared that to the DV TIE Wing and I noticed it was too short.

I received feedback from a few builders and the 88.5mm size was mentioned, so I cut another and compared it to the wing. It was better, if not bang on.

MonsieurTox is right, once I have all the kit parts to have better reference too, I'll compare the cuts one more time. However, I am satisfied with the tubes as they are.

Here's some part mapping on this site. I like how it's visually based. Maybe it'll help:

http://www.cam.hi-ho.ne.jp/nexus7/tie-bomber.htm

Thanks Scott. I've looked this site over in the past, as far as images go, the box art helps. This way I know what to look for while I rummage through the hobby stores. Too bad it's in Japanesse, I would like to have read it.

It would've been nice if the author of this site included different views of the Tie Bomber with the same descriptions and details.

However, the site looks to be a work in progress, and always improving on. I'll just have to check in every so often.

scratchy

Jay, you can use online translators, the translations are not always perfect but at least you get the idea !

I made another cut of the PVC prior to the 88.5mm cut that I found at SSM, I compared that to the DV TIE Wing and I noticed it was too short.

Don't forget that you have to add strip styrene to the outside of the DV wing, your ref pics will of course have this in place, but your bare DV wing will not, so this may have thrown you off a bit in measurements, just a thought!.
Stu

Don't forget that you have to add strip styrene to the outside of the DV wing, your ref pics will of course have this in place, but your bare DV wing will not, so this may have thrown you off a bit in measurements, just a thought!.
Stu

I took that into account, I matched up the detail on the inside of the wing as oppossed to the front and back, once I get all the required parts for the build, I'll take another look at the tubes with the parts taped down to the tubes.

Wow! I can't wait to see your progress on this build, once you find the parts you need. This is one I might be tempted to try myself one day.

The Tie Bomber was another ship that was actually designed with another purpose (boarding craft). It was designed for Star Wars, but written out of the script. Then the design was later revived for ESB.

Leif

the Tie Bomber is the best ship with little screen time. I can't wait to see someone expand it to have about 10 pods between the wings. Something I thought about doing with the toys

Well, this build is going to be a slow one. I've got three on the go with a fourth going to start in a couple weeks.

I can take the 1/35 20mm Flak 38 Flakveiling off the list, just received the last of those kits. I ordered two of the Leopold German Railway Gun and the Morser Karl today.

During the castings of the AT-ST (another thread) parts that I did, I made use of that time and made duplicates of some of the needed parts for the build.

I also recieved the Plastistruct Hemispheres and the Flat Dishes for the front end. The DV windshield is fitted into place.... my first part on it, how about that! :lol

here's a pic......

IMG_4603.jpg

Does anyone know the size measurements of the front octagon opening of the ordnance pod and the size of the notches that are cut into the perimeter of the flat dish?

Last edited:

Hey Scratchy lookin good. I bought a SS Tie Bomber Master that was too be a kit, but it wasn't finished & Randy's associate brought his kit out so it sort of became a loss as a kit. Its still sitting on my bench. I have all the parts & just need to finish that bit on the ordinance capsule & add the parts to their locations. This was going to be my intro to making kits but it all fell apart. Guess at the least I got a SS Tie Bomber thats nearly done.

So,.. you have two then? Why not have the studio scale, and have the other with a cockpit as illustrated in the Complete Cross Sections book?

So,.. you have two then? Why not have the studio scale, and have the other with a cockpit as illustrated in the Complete Cross Sections book?

No not two. Just the one uncompleted Master. I thought it was finished when I bought it. Long story & that books closed but I have all the parts & am about to just build it. The part your enquireing about is the last part I have to finish other than attaching all the pieces which I have. I had a big dream this would be a kit & bought everything I needed to make it happen. Unfortunately it just wasn't to be...

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back