Need help IDing a part: Neutrino Probe tool from VOY

trekprops.de

Hi all,

I'm thinking about making this engineering tool from Voyager - called a Neutrino Probe in "Captain's Chair":

1-3.jpg

So, I've been told that the tip of the prop was part of a nose hair trimmer. Does this piece look familiar to anyone of you?

Here's a better pic:

4-4.jpg

Thanks for any ideas!

Obi wan grenade part?

At least they used one on this other prop from voyager

Episode Threshold SEASON 2

lightsaberpart8vi.jpg

greno3mk1.jpg

Last edited:
Ok, so analyzing this tip, there are four discernable parts. The actual outer casing (prob. a nose trimmer tip), a rectangle black piece with a thin clear plastic detail, and the inner black emitter, from which exits the blue light piece. The light piece not withstanding, here's a pic of the three pieces:

picccc.jpg

I think the rectangle (with the red outline) looks like it was put in after the fact. It seems like the outside casing was cut to accomodate it (seems a little too imperfect to actually be part of the nose trimmer tip. I also think the black emitter on the inside of the casing was put there after the fact as well (this is where the steel nose trimmer razor would be).

Its hard from photographs, but looking through the nose trimmers that come up in a google photo search, the closest outer casing looks like this one, the man groomer. You can also see that the groomer's tip has a lip at the bottom, and the prop looks as if that lip was removed.

31dxoRH7KDL__SS400_www.jpg

Maybe Mike wouldn't mind chiming in. Paging Mr. Proptologist...

Last edited:
Well, there's a thread over at the TPZ where Mike stated that he thinks the tip was from a nose hair trimmer, but he doesn't remember the brand. I also eMailed Rick Sternbach, but he had no info to share unfortunately. So, no more "official info" on this one. Rick BTW compared this search to trying to identify the many different tank parts that were used on an X-Wing and emphasized that this needs a "special talent"... :)

On the piece itself: My first thought was that it looked like a jet engine from a model plane as well! But, that's not the case as we know now.

Joe, your multi-part-theory sounds reasonable. However, I don't think that the black rectangle piece has a clear insert, I suppose it's a piece of square-patterned reflective tape.

Anyways, it doesn't seem likely for us to find the original nose hair trimmer to get that piece from, so I'll have to scratch build that I guess. Being me, I won't simply go for a different nose hair trimmer part that may come close, I'd rather put some more work into it to make it more accurate. ;)

In any case, if someone

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back