Doctor Who: Tom Baker costumes

Risu

Master Member
Hey, so I just started assembling a Tom Baker season 12 costume and the close enough set is complete as soon as I receive the sweater from ebay. Over the next couple months I'll be upgrading my jacket to the Baron Boutique offering, cardigan-izing my sweater, and making my own neckerchief (there may be a small run). I've only ever seen maybe two other people dress up as Four, but I know there are a lot, so I was hoping those of you with the outfit could post a pic or two, I'd love to see what others have come up with.

Hey, so I just started assembling a Tom Baker season 12 costume and the close enough set is complete as soon as I receive the sweater from ebay. Over the next couple months I'll be upgrading my jacket to the Baron Boutique offering, cardigan-izing my sweater, and making my own neckerchief (there may be a small run). I've only ever seen maybe two other people dress up as Four, but I know there are a lot, so I was hoping those of you with the outfit could post a pic or two, I'd love to see what others have come up with.

Well I've seen a lot of Four cosplayers both in person at SDCC & Gallifrey and also through the Who Cosplay forums at other cons like Dragon Con, Anime Expo etc.

Here's a smattering of other 4th Doctor cosplayers out there.

8414052_20aebfcf6c.jpg

8414039_2ef5f07b42.jpg

8414054_1031627d90_o.jpg

8414035_cb77a3bda7.jpg

8414034_z258619001_o.jpg

8414033_962b04eefe.jpg

8414032_be8b8e814e_o.jpg

8414031_2c6797b2b6_o.jpg

8414030_035fa06391.jpg

8414027_fc03f11ca1.jpg

8414025_c85589746d_o.jpg

8414028_1b48347687.jpg

8414029_aea620336f.jpg

8414038_fab1dc02d1.jpg

8414037_16ca849617.jpg

00001qd0

8414127_1580b88e84.jpg

And here's my own costume:

8414128_eabbdf89dd.jpg

Got any more of her? :angel

I really like some of those. It's really cool to see all the different pieces people come up with, it's an excellent thrift store costume. Once I get my sweater in the mail I'll post a pic of my get up. I'll definitely be wearing an upgraded version of it to Gallifrey one day next year.

And here's a few others I found.

8421137_2e475221b8.jpg

8421138_5d8e035b10.jpg

8421136_4a896072ec.jpg

8421139_76b87d51d9.jpg

8421159_189b6d6147.jpg

8421161_98ffab1b85_o.jpg

It is an easy one to thrift is you want the general look. scarf, brown or green hat, earth tone (Grey/brown/beige/red) long coat, gray slacks and some kind of vest will pretty much get you in the range. People will totally get it. When you want to get specific on a certain version/season of the costume and make it exact - that's where the difficulty comes in.

Here's my first 4th doctor Costume all thrift bought in 2004. I wore this with minor mods off and on to late 2007.

8421200_b65f9e3643_o.jpg

Here's my 2008 Version. Completely new stuff save for the sweater which was heavily modified into a cardigan instead of a pullover.

8421199_9f7fca88ca.jpg

And the 2009/current version ofthe costume. Same as 2008 but with new hat and new scarf.

8421198_7ceecec3dc.jpg

Last edited:
I found the perfect shirt in a thrift store, but unfortunately it's old and worn out and has holes forming in the collar and fraying cuffs. It's good enough for now, but I'm going to need to replace it. Too bad, because the pattern is almost spot on. The neckerchief design is coming along nicely as well, I'm getting some fabric samples in a couple days and then I'll probably be able to order a test swatch. For the jacket I'll be sending my own corduroy and suede to Baron Boutique along with a couple of the changes you mentioned in your LJ.

I found the perfect shirt in a thrift store, but unfortunately it's old and worn out and has holes forming in the collar and fraying cuffs. It's good enough for now, but I'm going to need to replace it. Too bad, because the pattern is almost spot on. The neckerchief design is coming along nicely as well, I'm getting some fabric samples in a couple days and then I'll probably be able to order a test swatch. For the jacket I'll be sending my own corduroy and suede to Baron Boutique along with a couple of the changes you mentioned in your LJ.

I've seen some great corduroys for a Four jacket at Jo-Ann and more recently at Michael Levine's. Sounds like your off to a great start though. I'll get you those pics I gathered for the neckerchief today to help on the pattern.

Thanks! I was just in Michael Levine's yesterday and forgot to check for corduroy there. I was too focused on my ten coat liner material, which I ended up finding at B Black. I'm PRETTY sure my pattern for the neckerchief is at least 90% accurate to the original. I can't say for sure of course, but from what I saw of it I was able to figure out how most of the missing pattern should look. Any pics you can send me will either help verify my pattern or show me how wrong I am. Either way, I welcome them, because I want this thing to be as SA as possible. I don't mess around when it comes to SA, haha. I can thank the Indy community for that bad habit.

Thanks! I was just in Michael Levine's yesterday and forgot to check for corduroy there. I was too focused on my ten coat liner material, which I ended up finding at B Black. I'm PRETTY sure my pattern for the neckerchief is at least 90% accurate to the original. I can't say for sure of course, but from what I saw of it I was able to figure out how most of the missing pattern should look. Any pics you can send me will either help verify my pattern or show me how wrong I am. Either way, I welcome them, because I want this thing to be as SA as possible. I don't mess around when it comes to SA, haha. I can thank the Indy community for that bad habit.

B. Black is awesome- it look like I'll be getting my beige wool there for my Davison coat next week as well- haven't found a better color in 100% wool anywhere else so far!

Levine's had a mid-red and a deep red cord with thin whales- perfect for Four! Only around $6-8.00 a yard. I'll get these pics off to you now.

Excellent pics, I'll fix up the pattern later tonight. I'll have to schedule another trip up to the garment district before I order my coat.

Jet Beetle sent me this and it hits wayyyy too close to home. More or less this happened to me in 2004 when I first wore the outfit and I got a lot of blank stares and mis-identifications at a Halloween party this past sat. Proof that - no matter how good your baker is- you gotta know where and when to wear it!

000c1ft1

Ah yes. I went out to the bars with a group that included a Spock. Needless to say, my Tennant costume received two compliments and one "Are you Inspector Gadget?" from a girl who wasn't nearly drunk enough to make that a reasonable question.

i bought this custom tom baker mask from the makers at plastic-earth.com,they sold it on ebay,the ad said it was 1 of a kind..idk how true that is,but hes pretty cool and freaks my roomates out,my plan is to buy a mannequin to fit this mask on..and find a replica jacket,scarf,hat and sonic srewdriver for him.View attachment 26932

My mannequin freaks me out enough when I put a hat on it, if I walked into my room to be greeted by that mask I'd probably have a heart attack. Very eerie.

Might as well post an update while the thread is on page 1. I'm just about done with an accurate shirt pattern for use with spoonflower. I'll be able to order my fabric within a couple of weeks and I'll have the pattern available for use of others. I turned the neckerchief run over to Magnoli, he'll eventually be selling them on his site once I send him the pattern. They'll be printed on silk, which is better than I could have done. And speaking of Magnoli, I'm currently just past the 5 month mark waiting for my cardigan. I reeeeeaaaaally hope it's worth the wait.

So . . .many . . . 4th . . Doctors . . . . .

I love you all

I am still impressed by how many Femme fours there are. Actually, I'm impressed by how many Femme DOCTORS there are. Most of them seem to pull it off better than some guys can, or maybe I'm biased cuz they show a little leg.:love

I'll have to post some of my Four wears & such. Just, erm too many new forums to post stuff on! Glad we're all here to help & support each other.

Jet Beetle sent me this and it hits wayyyy too close to home. More or less this happened to me in 2004 when I first wore the outfit and I got a lot of blank stares and mis-identifications at a Halloween party this past sat. Proof that - no matter how good your baker is- you gotta know where and when to wear it!

000c1ft1

Thanks for your four breakdown, it was extremely helpful in my S18 and S13 costumes. Here's a drawing of the season 12 costume for you:
15248-picture-i-drew-manofsteel25-his-excellent-four.jpg

Re: Doctor Who: Tom Baker costumes; The waistcoats

I want to know if anyone has found any matches for any of Tom Baker's wasitcoats. Here's a quick rundown of all 3:

This waistcoat was worn for it's majority in Season 15 alongside the widest scarf:
shada.jpg

Here's the most widely discussed waistcoat, a sort of plaid houndstooth tweed design:
tom-baker.jpg

And finally, the Season 18 waistcoat, which I think looks really nice: :)
44.jpg

Any additional info would be appreciated with 250 internets.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back