Dexter costume

This Dexter? (second image down)

sidebar-protecttheisland.jpg
http://www.teefury.com/images/articles/sidebar-protecttheisland.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I dropped by the Hollywood Studio Collection sale today after seeing the ad posted by misterfusion. He was a cool guy and showed me a lot of the stuff they don't have out on display, but more to the point, I found a pair of pants there that are REALLY close to Dexter's season 1 pants. The color is almost exact, and almost all of the stitching and pattern is identical except for two things: The back flap pockets have hidden buttons (I'm pretty sure I spotted button holes on the screen used pants, but not positive as there weren't buttons showing in any of the pictures) and the topstitch running around the cargo pockets only runs around the top section, not all the way around. When I get back home tomorrow I'll try to snap a couple pictures. I don't know when the pants were made, because of where I found them they could have come from anywhere, but they are Old Navy. The funny thing is, they've probably been used on screen in something, as most or all of the stuff for sale there was, but it's unlikely they could have come from a Showtime show. They DID have what looked like a fake blood stain in them, but it came out in the wash. And they only cost me $1. :thumbsup

Does anyone know where this outfit makes an appearance? I've never seen it in the show but it the white stitching in this shirt seems to be the basis for the action figures and bobble heads of Dexter...
Actually, this shirt and the darker pants were used in some of the first season episodes (I just finished watching the first three seasons on dvd). At least three different types of shirts have been used on the show so far--though they all seem to be the same color, one version has lighter seams with black buttons, one has buttons that match the shirt color, and the other has white "pearlescent" buttons. And at least three different types of cargo pants as well--dark (maybe black), green with a pocket on only one thigh, and green with pockets on both thighs. IMO the most commonly used "kill suit" is the shirt with the white buttons and green pants with pockets on both thighs as seen in this screengrab from Season 2, Episode 2:

http://www.dexter-fan.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=28&fullsize=1

As far as "close enough" is concerned, yes. But there are lots of details that make them different.

EDIT: Here are some pics of the pants I just got.

DSC02026.jpg

DSC02027.jpg

DSC02028.jpg

DSC02030.jpg

If you compare these pants to the pictures in the other thread, you'll see that the color is probably not the same, but these are definitely faded from their original color, so I can't say anything based on that. The cut seems to be the same as the screen used pants, but the material is definitely a heavier weight. The pants I got from Rothco have a very similar cut, but the thinner material makes them fit/drape exactly like the SU pants. The slant pockets have what looks to be the exact same topstitching, but they look like they're placed a bit farther back at the waist band. The cargo pockets have topstitch around the flap area, but not all the way around the pockets. And the back pocket flaps have hidden buttons. Until modeleers gets back to us with the info about the real pants, these are the closest I think we'll be able to find. I don't know when they were made, but I do know they're made by Old Navy.

Last edited:
I'm virtually positive the American Apparel one is the screen used. And I'm also pretty sure that ebay auction is the same shirt.

I found this publicity photo and thought it might help us determine which boots (and possibly pants) Dexter wears:

Dexter_boots.jpg

As you can see, the boots have an uncommon "cap toe". At first I thought they might be "jump boots", but they don't appear to have the detail on the edge of the cap toe that jump boots have, and jump boots don't have a rivet adjacent to the first eyelet. To complicate matters further, I was watching Episode 3 from Season 1 ("Popping Cherry") and, after Dexter prevents Jeremy Downs from killing the other teenager, Dexter encounters an alligator which causes him to stumble in the mud. As he falls the soles of his boots are visible--they're a very light yellowish color and they have lug soles, neither of which the boots in the above photo appear to have.

As for the pants in the photo, as you can see there appears to be a button-adjustable strap at the end of the pant leg. Also, though you can't see it very well, the pants have a seam at the knee. Considering it's a publicity photo, they could be the rarely-used pants with the pocket only on the top of the left thigh; the apron he's wearing hides this bit of detail.

Also, in the same scene with the alligator that I mentioned above, as Dexter stumbles to his feet after seeing the alligator his shirt rises to reveal the rear waistband of the pants. The center belt loop is actually two loops sewn in a "V" pattern. Also, there's a tag along the belt line above the right back pocket. It may be a manufacturer's logo, but I couldn't make it out; maybe someone here will have better luck. I don't have any screengrab software so I can't post photos of what I'm attempting to describe.

Anyway, I just thought I'd share my observations.

Good research! The single pocket pants aren't really rarely used, he just doesn't use them until later seasons. These look like those pants based on the seams at the knees and that adjustment at the cuff, which matches the waistband area of the same pair.

No idea on the boots, they appear to be different than the ones in the white background publicity still.

No idea on the boots, they appear to be different than the ones in the white background publicity still.
With the different light levels and different angles in each photo it's difficult to tell, but I think they're the same boots. The boots in both photos appear to have lug soles (though the lugs are considerably worn down), which is consistent with my observation above, and the color is reasonably consistent as well.

I've been looking at photographs of boots online for days, and so far these are the closest I've found:

Jump_Boot.jpg

Paratrooper "Jump" Boots - Available in black and brown

Dr_Martens_Carey_8_Eye_Lace_Boot.jpg

Dr. Martens "Carey 8 Eye" Lace Boot - Available in black and cherry red

Obviously, neither of them are a perfect match; the search continues...

More minutia, but, hey, "The Devil's in the details". I'm convinced the pants in the publicity photo I posted above are the "five pocket" cargo pants. I've been going through Season 1, and the "six pocket" cargo pants don't have the seam at the knee or the button-adjust strap at the cuff.

More details, for those involved in the hunt. In addition to the v-shaped double belt loop on the center loop in the back, the rear pocket flaps on the "six pocket" cargo pants have a v-shaped lower edge and a single-button closure (not hidden). Also, during daylight or brightly-lit scenes they're considerably lighter in color than standard olive drab military pants.

It's me again. :D

I have been following this thread for a few weeks as I have been piecing this costume together. My watch arrived today and while it is missing the band, that is something I can easily fix. It is actually a pretty cool watch and one I might wear normally.
...Found people discussing it on a watch forum of all places. Seems to fit Dexter to me since it is nothing flashy. I am willing to go with it unless someone comes up with proof saying otherwise since images are pretty hard to find.

Edit: Forgot the link for the forum where I found the info if you want to see their take on it. http://www.watchtalkforums.info/for.../14685-tvs-dexter-wristwatch-anyone-know.html
I'm far from being an expert when it comes to watches but, after re-watching Seasons 1 and 2 and examining several scenes frame-by-frame, I don't think this is the correct watch. Since I don't have any screengrab software, I'll use the photos in the link Evil Benius posted to illustrate my reasoning:

1973_Timex_automatic.jpg

1. The numerical indicators on the dial are slightly raised chromed rectangles.

2. The bezel (the ring surrounding the crystal) is more prominent and slightly raised when compared to the rest of the case.

3. This "ridge" on the case isn't present; it's one angled surface from the edge of the bezel to the vertical sides of the case, not two.

4. The area between the lugs (the "notch" where the band attaches) starts at the outer edge of the bezel.

I think this watch, a 1971 Timex "Electric", is a closer match:

1971_Timex_Electric.jpg

And here are a couple of screengrabs for comparison:

Dexter_watch.jpg

They don't really show the details I'm referring to clearly, but they're all I have to work with at the moment. As I stated above, I'm no expert when it comes to watches so any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated.

For anyone wanting to get a decent look at the actual watch, the best shot I've found so far is approximately 17 minutes and 22 seconds into Episode 3 of Season 1, "Popping Cherry". In a flashback scene, Harry Morgan retrieves a handgun from teen-aged Dexter, and they cut to a closeup of their hands where the watch can be seen quite clearly on James Remar's wrist in the upper left corner of the frame.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back