Mad Max 4: Fury Road

Status
Not open for further replies.

KnightAsylum

Sr Member
I saw this short write-up on CBR. Although I did not love part 3, I think another film could be a lot of fun and would go see it.:thumbsup

_____
MAD MAX 4: FURY ROAD

After decades of talking about it, director George Miller appears to be getting back on the highway with Mad Max for a fourth outing. The flick with not feature Mel Gibson, who brought the role to life in the 1980s. The Daily Telegraph in Sydney, Australia reports on the finacial boon of a new Mad Max film in production in New South Wales. "It is estimated the whole project will take two-and-a-half years to complete, create 540 jobs and generate countless millions," according to the article. Meanwhile, Ain't It Cool News points to a Australia Brodcasting Company report on the film, AICN also points to Sky News report with a shot of a rebuilt Interceptor Pursuit Special, Max's car in the first two films.

Release date: TBA

If Gibson is too whacked to want to play the part again, I can deal with a recast. This screenplay has been in the works forever, so it better be GOOD!

Mel Gibson is Mad Max as Harrison Ford is Indiana Jones. Not interested after all these years.

Yup. They missed the boat. Gibson is Max. The third one sucked, and they could have really redeemed themselves with Fury Road, but they dicked around too long. Heartbreaker.

Wait. The Pursuit Special was blown up in 2. So....what's it doing in this one?

Look, I love the Max movies, but honestly, just let it go. It's been too long. Unless you're doing a prequel about the formation and early days of the MFP (which really would be better as a TV series), what's the point?

Wait. The Pursuit Special was blown up in 2. So....what's it doing in this one?

Look, I love the Max movies, but honestly, just let it go. It's been too long. Unless you're doing a prequel about the formation and early days of the MFP (which really would be better as a TV series), what's the point?

I've only seen glimpses of Mad Max and I think I've seen most of Mad Max 2. I've seen all of Thuderdome, though, as I was older and it was on cable a lot.

In Thunderdome, the world appeared to be very post-apocolyptic, post-nuclear war even. But in the Wiki entry for Mad Max, it describes Max's police force, a hospital, taking a vaction at "the shore"...not exactly post-nuclear war sounding. So I'm confused about what calamity has befallen the world.

Scott

It's vague. In the first film, no mention of the rest of the world, IIRC. There's just the setting of society breaking down. But in that film it was still there holding on, so that there was still law enforcement, (overwhelmed, but there), and you could still go to a mechanic and buy new tires.

The second film starts with a montage explaining more--there was a war, and further breakdown etc...although nukes are not mentioned, they are implied.

Last edited:
All three movies are very, very different in tone. In 1, it's set in some nebulous dystopia. Max heads out into the "wasteland" of the outback at the end. 2 clarifies that the world has been undone by war. Perhaps in 1, in civilization, things are a little less scary than in the wasteland? It's like Pitch Black and Riddick, a sequel that all but reimagines the original. 2 is the spaghetti western of the series.

3 is slick Hollywood crap. It attempts to basically remake 2 on a big budget, with some 80s save the children crap tossed in. The gyro pilot returns, but it a totally different character though it's the same actor with the same copter (?!?!?!?). It has even less connection that the first two.
It's almost a reboot. Bizarre.

1 and 2 are some of the great films of sci-fi. Powerful, audacious film making. Let them be.

Id love to see a trilogy of prequels :lol

I can't believe they could not get Mel, I could see him playing the part well into his 80s.

I used to feel the same way, but Gibson is too old now (does he even act anymore?) and the new Trek revamp showed me (anyway) that if you do something of quality, you can have new actors take on iconic roles and make it ok.

I'd give another Max a shot. And let's face it, with this group, no matter what they say half of them will go anyway just to see the new car :lol.

Mel is not too old. He could play the grizzled, burnt out survivor with aplomb. Can you imagine a Max hermit, living like a mystic in some desert cave, stumbled upon by someone in need, called on to save the day? I can. If Clint can pull off being a geriatric badass, Mel can too, if he can take a break from directing or defacing synagogues or whatever the hell he's up to these days.

It's vague. In the first film, no mention of the rest of the world, IIRC. There's just the setting of society breaking down. But in that film it was still there holding on, so that there was still law enforcement, (overwhelmed, but there), and you could still go to a mechanic and buy new tires.

The second film starts with a montage explaining more--there was a war, and further breakdown etc...although nukes are not mentioned, they are implied.

All three movies are very, very different in tone. In 1, it's set in some nebulous dystopia. Max heads out into the "wasteland" of the outback at the end. 2 clarifies that the world has been undone by war. Perhaps in 1, in civilization, things are a little less scary than in the wasteland? It's like Pitch Black and Riddick, a sequel that all but reimagines the original. 2 is the spaghetti western of the series.

3 is slick Hollywood crap. It attempts to basically remake 2 on a big budget, with some 80s save the children crap tossed in. The gyro pilot returns, but it a totally different character though it's the same actor with the same copter (?!?!?!?). It has even less connection that the first two.
It's almost a reboot. Bizarre.

1 and 2 are some of the great films of sci-fi. Powerful, audacious film making. Let them be.

My understanding of the continuity is this:

Pre-Mad Max 1 -- war starts, oil crisis kicks in. Australia begins to descend into anarchy, trans-continental highway is built. In response to road gangs (usually bikers) messing with trans-continental commerce via the highway, the Main Force Patrol is created. Max Rockatansky (yes, that's his name), is a hotshot young cop working on the force who distinguishes himself early on.

Mad Max 1 -- society has continued to degrade. The MFP continues to increase its brutality in response to increased brutality by the gangs ("So long as the paperwork's clean, you can do what you like out there."). Fifi McAffee (Max's boss) wants to turn things around, but he's holding on to a world that is slowly disintegrating. Taht said, it's not at total post-apocalyptic wasteland yet. Max can still go to the shore with his wife and son. And then things go very very wrong. By the end of it, Max has abandoned being a cop and is a lone vigilante who has stepped out of society altogether...

Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior -- ....which doesn't really matter much because society pretty much goes down the tubes somewhere between MM1 and MM2. At some point, there are nuclear exchanges and oil basically disappears. Papagallo, an oil engineer, realizes this and forms a community around a refinery. Their plan is to travel to the coast (coastal regions in Australia have always been more easily inhabited). They now fight even more brutal scavenger gangs, whose ranks appear to include ex cops (possibly even ex-MFP). Max wanders into the midst of this (and eventually wanders out).

MM3/Beyond Thunderdome -- Society is just starting to rebuild in the form of Bartertown (and probably other settlements like it). the timeline is hazy as to how long after MM1 and MM2 the third film takes place, but there's a sense that the kids in the "Crack of the Earth" have been there for perhaps a generation (bearing in mind that, without the strictures of society, teenagers could've been getting pregnant and having babies). Oral history of the "pockyclipse" has been passed down and it's unlikely anyone alive among the kids actually remembers it first hand. At the end of the film, there's a sense that the kids have re-formed society in the ruins of the old cities (which were themselves apparently destroyed completely).

Anyway, that's my rough understanding of the timeline. MM3 is a far weaker film than the first two. The first one is a stunt spectacular and a slow burn of a revenge film. It's not very "sci fi" at all. More just dystopian future. The second one is far more "post apocalyptic" and is arguably THE film that created that genre, or if not created, set the standard for. Every "post apocalyptic" film since then owes its heritage to MM2. MM3 is, as has been stated, kind of just a big-budget remake of MM2 but really plays fast and loose with an already hazy continuity. It's also watered down for violence and kiddied up for We Are the World appeal. Tina Turner, however, never looked sexier.

Odd that the Interceptor is back, as many of you know she was purportedly the last of her kind. It's possible she was put back together by someone that appreciated fake automotive history.

Beyond the car, I don't really know if I would want to see another jaunt in the 'Max' universe. Maybe just for the stunt work - *Meh* I guess we'll see.

"The last of the V8 Interceptors." Was said clear as day, wasn't it? Twice. Then it blew up. If it's supposed to be the same car in MM4, Max had a hell of a repair job on his hands.

Solo4114, I think your timeline is interesting. I never considered that the nuclear exchange happened BETWEEN 1 and 2. That idea really adds something to the continuity. But, in the prologue to TRW, it pretty clearly puts the war before MM. So unless there was a second, more catastrophic exchange that put the finishing touches on society's destruction, that theory doesn't hold. Now, I can accept that there's a second, don't get me wrong. Your timeline has a lot to recommend it. And the war before MM might not have been nuclear. I can't recal TRW's prologue verbatim, and my DVD is at work (I teach it in a Film class at high school).

I love a good, clean, straightforward revenge flick. Mad Max is such a damn, damn fine movie. "I am the NIIIIIGHT Rider! A fuel-injected suicide MACHINE!" They will never match the energy and the, I dunno, TEXTURE of that first film. BTD could have been great. It had some real standout moments. If it hadn't followed two such fantastic films, the first half, pre-save-the-children, would have been just great. Sigh...

i have never seen the first madmax movie :( ....It never shows up on tv here in sweden only 2 and 3 ....

It was actually a Pursuit Special, but "Interceptor" seems to be the name that stuck. :)

I think that was the car the Nightrider stole. "A pursuit special on methane, super hot!" You will also notice on the back of the Monaro it says in red pinstripes 'Pursuit'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back