Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

Screen Shot 2018-01-21 at 12.51.25 PM.pngScreen Shot 2018-01-21 at 12.58.19 PM.png don't know if anyone else saw this.
Back in June this clip was featured on the Late Show with Stephen Colbert. It was Anthony Edwards joking plea to be included in Top Gun2 as a type of "Force Ghost" Since this is originally a post on Goose Costuming i thought it was interesting that he was wearing what looks to be his original screen-worn jacket.

Since Prop Store sold one of the original Maverick flight suits I have been trying to replicate the suit exactly. I need some help though. I lack a blu-ray copy of the movie. If anyone out there has one and could post some high resolution screen grabs of Maverick's US flag patch during the scene with Cougar in the passageway, and Stinger's office. It would be a huge help. The only side of the suit Prop Store didn't show very well in their photos was the Flag...

Screen caps assembled into one pic. Looks like the red stripes are thinner than the white. Also, it appears only Cougar has a gold outline. Hope this helps!

Attachments

• FLAG.jpg
    FLAG.jpg
    402.6 KB · Views: 218
Screen caps assembled into one pic. Looks like the red stripes are thinner than the white. Also, it appears only Cougar has a gold outline. Hope this helps!

thats perfect thanks! ok need your opinion, to me it looks like Maverick and Goose have patches on a red fabric background and the white stripes and blue embroidered onto of it.... am i right on the or are my eyes playing tricks?

thats perfect thanks! ok need your opinion, to me it looks like Maverick and Goose have patches on a red fabric background and the white stripes and blue embroidered onto of it.... am i right on the or are my eyes playing tricks?

That is what I thought as well. Red does show though the merrow edge white.

Or just get your own made?

Its always possible to get some made, but i prefer to find real vintage examples. Might take longer, but there is just something that feels more powerful about the real vintage item. Plus i think i have a few other patches i want to have made before i have a flag patch done. A screen-accurate Top Gun school patch is high on that list, I try to reserve ordering custom patches for those that were themselves custom on screen. Even things like the name tags, there are hundreds of options for those but I order them from Gibson and Barnes even though they are more expensive because they are the same company that made them for the film (formerly Flight Suits LTD)

2B79B7C1-A21F-4106-A48E-4A7B6743CC5B.jpegDDE37A59-8DB0-403C-BCCD-8D6350076F43.jpegC7402465-2456-4B9E-8102-81DB7E73388D.jpegE1F9C7A6-2813-46E6-97F6-BCAEDCF3808A.jpeg
Added a few more “Goose” related items to my collection this week. First to arrive was the 1980’s Polaroid one step 600 luckily found one with a flash still attached. And last night
just by chance while looking for something else I came across the eagle shield patch from Goose’s jacket. I had long ago given up on ever finding one of these. Always awesome to hunt down a vintage patch.

Last edited:
Honestly I'm not even sure what the search parameters would be. I found it while looking for the black and gold felt eagle shield and anchors patch Maverick and goose both have on the lower right chest of their flight suits. The listing called it a "Wool embroidered eagle shield patch" The seller i got it from says it was removed from a 60's "theater-made" Vietnam jacket. if thats true it means the patch was likely not a mass produced item but custom made in small batches for a particular squadron or unit. Many times ( especially in Japan) sailors would have custom patches made while in port on leave.
The stitching and the cheesecloth backing make me think its probably more like a WW2 era patch thank Vietnam but i can't say for sure.
I'd search for "felt eagle shield patch" another one may eventually pop up.

Hi there, i can't find a good .pdo file for the flight helmet.
I've found some .obj, but with the mask, i've tried to modify in blender, but without good result.
Could someone help me? Thanks in advance

In regards to the patches for Maverick's (father's) jacket:
I have learned quite a bit about the patches from everything in these posts. I can really appreciate the patience and commitment to acquire these patches in original, vintage form!
Is there a reliable source for reproductions? I have purchased so many reproduction patches that weren't quite right in either size or color...any advice?

Flight suits:
The original flight suit wings/name patches were made by Flight Suits Ltd. the company has since changed its name to Gibson and Barnes. You can order custom hook and loop backed name patches from them which will be identical to the originals. Just make sure you double check the colors and text on each patch (photos of the screen used ones can be found around the internet) Really, you just have to find good screenshots and reference the few photos of screen used suits that have sold at auction. You will find most of the correct patches just pay attention to small details. Be wary of people selling kits with all the patches. Even if they are good quality they likely won't be very accurate. Its good for a quick costume recreation but not for authenticity.

Maverick's jacket:
The same company (gibson and barnes) also sells a highly accurate USS Oriskany patch, that you will find on the right chest of Maverick's G-1 jacket. its a bit pricey at $50, but it is as close as you are ever likely to get since the originals were custom theater made patches from the 1950's. The 2 Marines patches and the Seabees patch on the left chest of Maverick's jacket are fairly common, you'll find numerous originals on eBay. The rest of the patches are all rare vintage originals. Most, if you can ever find them go for big $$$$.

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute, but my previous costume idea fell through (I mean seriously, who knows who Mrs Slocombe is in the cosplay world? :lol) I'm trying to put together a Top Gun costume, most likely either Goose or Viper. I'm trying to do it without breaking the bank, but I want to be as accurate as I can be, reasonably quickly - for MCM at the end of this month. I'm in the UK, so sourcing authentic US military items locally isn't likely to be easy I suspect, and sourcing from the US may take too long (and cost more than it needs to in postage). Ultimately, I'm likely to build up a "better" costume, or costumes, over time

3d printing a helmet was suggested to me as a potential option - are there any HGU 33 style models that anyone is aware of to print from? Or would I just be wasting my money and be as well to buy a surplus flight helmet of any kind, with visors (even a uk military helmet without the visor cover), and build / paint off of that with random cheap surplus mask parts, etc? Ultimately a real HGU 33 would be the ultimate goal, but I'm looking at a shortish term option. I could theoretically go without a helmet, as per the classroom scenes, but that seems like it would be too little, and probably not obvious enough?

I have an ex RAF flight suit, which I could use as a stop gap, though some of the chest zips are clearly in the wrong place to add chest patches. If I were to look at a US style flight suit, is a modern CWU-27/P representative of the same mark flight suit that would have been worn in the 80's , or have they updated it, and it's no longer representative? (in which case I might as well use what I've got until I find a more exact match).

Patches have obviously been discussed a lot, I don't suppose anyone has any Goose (or Viper) patches they are selling / getting rid of? I'm guessing the triangular "Tactical Wings Atlantic" patch is a bit like rocking horse poo? The rest seem fairly easy to get hold of.... but does anyone know if that Japanese guy who was mentioned a few pages back still doing patches, etc?

Does anyone know what kind of top Goose is wearing underneath his flight suit? Looks like a white T-shirt, but with red sleeves / body?

At this stage I'm not so worried about accurate masks, hoses, harnesses, life preservers, buckles, etc, but is there anything that you'd say a Goose or Viper costume needs that without it it wouldn't be worth doing?

The alternative is that I go down the summer whites route from the bar scene. Maybe easier and cheaper to do, but doesn't seem easy to source Navy whites in the UK! Anyone know of a source of US Navy surplus kit?? that includes wings, rank epaulettes, medal ribbon, etc? And what's worn on their feet in that form of dress?

and on that pattern of uniform, does anyone know what Goose's medal ribbons are?

I don't recall them wearing hats (I'll have another watch tonight) but if it was you, would you go down a "summer whites" route without one?

I don't want to go down a non-uniform route (no G-1 jacket for example) but any other uniform options that would be worth considering? I don't think so, but....

I'm probably biting off more than I can chew here given the timescales, but I've got a few days to get my act together, source parts and put a costing together before I commit. So any help gratefully received!

Nothing like leaving it to the last minute, but my previous costume idea fell through (I mean seriously, who knows who Mrs Slocombe is in the cosplay world? :lol) I'm trying to put together a Top Gun costume, most likely either Goose or Viper. I'm trying to do it without breaking the bank, but I want to be as accurate as I can be, reasonably quickly - for MCM at the end of this month. I'm in the UK, so sourcing authentic US military items locally isn't likely to be easy I suspect, and sourcing from the US may take too long (and cost more than it needs to in postage). Ultimately, I'm likely to build up a "better" costume, or costumes, over time

3d printing a helmet was suggested to me as a potential option - are there any HGU 33 style models that anyone is aware of to print from? Or would I just be wasting my money and be as well to buy a surplus flight helmet of any kind, with visors (even a uk military helmet without the visor cover), and build / paint off of that with random cheap surplus mask parts, etc? Ultimately a real HGU 33 would be the ultimate goal, but I'm looking at a shortish term option. I could theoretically go without a helmet, as per the classroom scenes, but that seems like it would be too little, and probably not obvious enough?

I have an ex RAF flight suit, which I could use as a stop gap, though some of the chest zips are clearly in the wrong place to add chest patches. If I were to look at a US style flight suit, is a modern CWU-27/P representative of the same mark flight suit that would have been worn in the 80's , or have they updated it, and it's no longer representative? (in which case I might as well use what I've got until I find a more exact match).

Patches have obviously been discussed a lot, I don't suppose anyone has any Goose (or Viper) patches they are selling / getting rid of? I'm guessing the triangular "Tactical Wings Atlantic" patch is a bit like rocking horse poo? The rest seem fairly easy to get hold of.... but does anyone know if that Japanese guy who was mentioned a few pages back still doing patches, etc?

Does anyone know what kind of top Goose is wearing underneath his flight suit? Looks like a white T-shirt, but with red sleeves / body?

At this stage I'm not so worried about accurate masks, hoses, harnesses, life preservers, buckles, etc, but is there anything that you'd say a Goose or Viper costume needs that without it it wouldn't be worth doing?

The alternative is that I go down the summer whites route from the bar scene. Maybe easier and cheaper to do, but doesn't seem easy to source Navy whites in the UK! Anyone know of a source of US Navy surplus kit?? that includes wings, rank epaulettes, medal ribbon, etc? And what's worn on their feet in that form of dress?

and on that pattern of uniform, does anyone know what Goose's medal ribbons are?

I don't recall them wearing hats (I'll have another watch tonight) but if it was you, would you go down a "summer whites" route without one?

I don't want to go down a non-uniform route (no G-1 jacket for example) but any other uniform options that would be worth considering? I don't think so, but....

I'm probably biting off more than I can chew here given the timescales, but I've got a few days to get my act together, source parts and put a costing together before I commit. So any help gratefully received!

Goose’s medals are the same as Maverick’s set, with a Navy Presidential Unit Citation and the Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation Ribbon above the Navy “E” ribbon.. where Maverick’s ends...
27ce5340d9adb07a6fc8b22747b1fcd8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back