Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

Started collecting patches for this a long time ago, and i still have realistically several years left before I can find all the correct vintage patches, but this week I found a period correct 1960's US Navy G-1 jacket that wasn't insanely priced. So at least these patches will have a home when they arrive. IMG_4486.JPG

IMG_2642.JPGSo far this is what i have, with the exception of the "Dallas Texas" patch and the "Vigilance Cruisers, Destroyers Pacific" patch all are vintage. Some as old as WW2. I also have a screen accurate VF-1 patch and a correct gold boarder American flag for the back of the jacket.( not pictured) I still need to locate an NAS Jacksonville patch for the left sleeve, a CVG-19 patch for the right sleeve, USS Oriskany patch for the right-side chest, USS Galveston far east cruise 63-64 patch, comcrudesflot 9 patch, a real Vigilance patch for the back. all of the remaining patches to collect are difficult to come by so it could be years before this one is complete. There are replicas of all of the remaining patches out there but i want this to be as true as possible. Many of the replicas are the incorrect size (usually oversized because the manufacturer forgets Tom Cruise is tiny and the original jacket is only about a size 38) So, we'll see how many more years of searching antique shops, army navy stores, eBay and online forums before I find them all....

IMG_7603.jpg IMG_7518.jpgAfter many months / years of searching i finally found a real vintage Comcrudespac (cruisers destroyers pacific vigilance) patch. I attached a side by side of the "real deal" on the left and "repro" on the right. The search goes on for several more. Still looking for a Carrier air wing 19 spartan, a condesflot 9, NAS Jacksonville, and the proper vintage back boarder silver tab Tomcat patch.

in many ways you're right the reproduction patch is better. The waves look a little more realistic, the patch overall is more symmetrical But the vintage one is more accurate to the real jacket. Before finding the vintage one i weathered the new one with some scuffs and coffee but it was just never going to look right to me. Also was able to find a vintage NAS Jacksonville triangle patch at 1 am last night. i'll share a photo once it arrives.

in many ways you're right the reproduction patch is better. The waves look a little more realistic, the patch overall is more symmetrical But the vintage one is more accurate to the real jacket. Before finding the vintage one i weathered the new one with some scuffs and coffee but it was just never going to look right to me. Also was able to find a vintage NAS Jacksonville triangle patch at 1 am last night. i'll share a photo once it arrives.

Just wanna point out why I think the repro looks better :cool But the yellow gold on VIGILANCE does look better on the left! Also attached a larger jpg

https://flic.kr/p/WKD1eM

Attachments

• comcrudespac.jpg
    comcrudespac.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 367
vigilance2.jpg I do see what you mean about some of the details. I thought this might help. The COMCRUDESPAC patch has been used in the USN for a very long time. The older the patch the more detailed the design. Basically over the years someone would just bring in the old patch to a new company and say "make this." Each time it would lose a little detail or it would change a bit. Here are 6 examples of the patch all have differences. In two of them the shield at the bottom has red stripes the other 4 have blue and white, all except the reproduction have diamonds or dots at the top in white. ( the repro has stars) the font and size of font changes on all of them. The overall shape varies slightly between them. The waves and ships details all change as well.

Mine is the Vietnam Era Japanese made patch in the lower left. It varies from the others in a few ways. The lettering "cruisers destroyers pacific" is in navy blue not gold/ yellow and it has the red stripes in the shield. Its brighter than the other vietnam era patch only because its pristine its never been worn or used in any way but it does have the vintage twill/ cheesecloth backing. Its not the most accurate but it is vintage and not a costume knock-off

For accuracy: The patch in the upper right is closest to the one used on the screen-used jacket. There really isn't a solid clear shot of the patch ( i don't have the blue-ray) but by piecing together a few views you can get a decent overall idea. What does match: The ship in the foreground doesn't appear to have any railings stitched on the bow, the wave against the side of the ship and the shape of the shading on the hull, the antenna and superstructure matches pretty well. What doesn't match: the gold at the top patch (3 lines on each side of the blue) the movie patch has two longer strips and one short on the outer edge. The arch on the ribbon that reads "Vigilance" is more curved. the wave in the foreground doesn't appear to be the same.

If i had to guess id say the screen used patch is of the same era as the patch in the upper right because it is very close but slightly different. i'll keep looking for another one but they are fairly difficult to find, the older the harder to get. For now i'll go with the Japanese made one. It keeps with all the other vintage patches I have on the jacket.
IMG_7624.jpg

vigilance2.jpg

IMG_7624.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
IMG_7662.jpgIMG_7663.jpgTopGun004.jpg
Another find, 2 in one week. Vintage NAS Jacksonville patch. Spent the better part of 2 years looking for this. Reproductions are plenty and easy to come by. This one not so much. Pumped to finally have found one.

Attachments

• IMG_7662.JPG
    IMG_7662.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 574
  • IMG_7663.JPG
    IMG_7663.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 523
IMG_7821.JPGIMG_7830.JPGThis is a new replica I completed of Mavericks flight suit following Goose's death. It's similar to the others except for the addition of the Uss Galveston shoulder patch and the uss William H Standley patch on the lower left chest. These patches related to mavericks G-1 jacket. The Trident William H Standley patch is identical to the jacket patch. While the shoulder patch is from the same ship as the large "Far East Cruise" patch found on the back of mavericks jacket.. this flight suit is only worn in one scene as Maverick and sundown argue on the flight line.

IMG_7911.JPG I had to share this because i found it so amusing. For those who know the original the details on this are close but so incredibly wrong. The trident patch reads USS Standy. the Texas flag patch reads Houston instead of Dallas all of the other patches are close but so very wrong as well. It gave me a nice chuckle when i saw it this afternoon.

IMG_8488.JPGIMG_8490.JPG finding a taylor thats willing to sew vintage patches onto a vintage leather jacket is harder than i thought. But i finally found two who were willing to take the risk. Only 2 more vintage patches and one USN pin needed to complete the front CVW-19 and the black border tomcat.

Since Prop Store sold one of the original Maverick flight suits I have been trying to replicate the suit exactly. I need some help though. I lack a blu-ray copy of the movie. If anyone out there has one and could post some high resolution screen grabs of Maverick's US flag patch during the scene with Cougar in the passageway, and Stinger's office. It would be a huge help. The only side of the suit Prop Store didn't show very well in their photos was the Flag...

Since Prop Store sold one of the original Maverick flight suits I have been trying to replicate the suit exactly. I need some help though. I lack a blu-ray copy of the movie. If anyone out there has one and could post some high resolution screen grabs of Maverick's US flag patch during the scene with Cougar in the passageway, and Stinger's office. It would be a huge help. The only side of the suit Prop Store didn't show very well in their photos was the Flag...
I can mid next week unless someone does so before then!

comcrudesflot9-1.jpg I can't believe i didn't see this on eBay until it was too late. This is an original ww2 vintage Commander Cruiser Destroyer Flotilla 9 patch. This is the patch found on the upper left back of Maverick's G-1 leather jacket. Really kicking myself for not finding this been searching for years....

comcrudesflot9-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The COMCRUDESFLOT 9 patch is among the rarest of all the patches on the jacket. There are lots of reproductions available for it but they are all incorrect in color, size , shape. most of the repros over estimate the size of the patch making it huge and for some reason many of them show what should be a seafoam green ocean as a tan sand Screen Shot 2018-01-07 at 9.28.31 PM.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back