Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

Maverick8500 thanks for all the info on this suit. So where did you find the Centurion patch?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Banzai88 Glad the info is appreciated, Im happy to share whatever info i might have. The two tough to find patches ( ice/sliders 200 patch, and Jesters centurion) were just lucky grabs on ebay. I was told at one point early on in my research that the patches on many of the Top Gun flight suits were one off fakes made specifically for the movie. I've since found that this is only partly true.

The squadron patches i.e. Mav/Goose VF-1 Ice/sliders VF-213 and Hollywood/Wolf VF-54 were all altered patches based on real naval squadrons. None of which actually flew F-14's. VF-1 was based on VAW-110 who flew the E-2B hawkeye. Ice's VF-213 fist of the fleet was actually VFA-25 the first squadron to fly FA-18's, and lastly Hollywoods VF-54 is based on the VAW-124 also flying the E-2B. These were the only altered patches as far as i know. The rest were all real, not really all correct as far as navy regs but real none the less.
Many of the other patches are vietnam era CV-61 USS Ranger patches. This includes all the Centurion patches. This was done as a tribute to The Ranger which stood in as the Enterprise in the scenes filmed aboard the carrier. Filling out the rest of the patches are general USN patches.

Im working on a bunch of screen accurate flight suits, as they are completed i'll post more info on them and photos.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can anyone with a blu- ray version of top gun help me out with a screen grab? At around the 19:30 mark maverick and goose enter the bar and pass by a guy wearing this patch. image.jpgimage.jpg

I cant make out the words on the patch to identify it. Several other characters wear the same one including sundown but I can't make it out

please help!!

Thanks for taking a look at it for me, I even posted this image to an online group of Navy patch collectors none thus far can identify it still

Hello all,

New here. Stumbled across this forum while looking for patches. Basically, I look like Iceman. I have always wanted to do an authentic flight suit with accurate patches. Reading through this...I see that is not entirely possible. I am having trouble locating Iceman's torso patches, and lower right arm patch (200 patch). Help would be appreciated. A lot of the links previously posted here are no longer active & Blue Tiger from Ebay seems to be no longer conducting business.

Thanks & looking forward to chatting!

I posted a link a while back to the maker of patches here in Japan that are easily the best I've seen sold anywhere.. They currently do offer the patch set, separate from the flightsuit.. So, that might be worth another look?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, I looked & unfortunately all the links posted previously posted are no longer available. I got a hold of the Blue Tiger Trading fella on Ebay & he is no longer selling it seems. He said he would post some weeks ago. But has yet to do so.

As far as I'm aware, Max Cady, the shop I mentioned in Japan, is still fine, and still selling the patches..
I've got a Terminator jacket being made by them, so I know they are...

Something not patch-related (we haven't had that in a while here) :)
I don't see why I should spend something like 200$ on Koch fittings. Can't somebody who has some cast them and make some cheap copies (obviously for display only)?
P.S.: Got a really good deal on MA-2 with Kochs, so nevermind!

Last edited:
Sorry i know this thread has been quiet for a while but i thought i'd ask. Does anyone know where the studio TOP GUN G-1 Jacket is? I've seen 2 screen used maverick helmets one in the smithsonian and one in a private collection, I've seen Iceman's flight suit and helmet at Disney MGM florida ( great movie ride Que area) Hollywoods flight suit ( one of them) is out there online and some good photo references can be found but i've never seen or heard of the final location of the Hero "Maverick" jacket. Aside from maybe the helmets and the F-14 tomcats themselves (two screen used F-14's still exist and are on display) this is probably the most iconic costume/ prop from the movie but it seems to have dropped out of sight....

If you look at the Japanese site I mention above? They sell the set for Iceman, and that has the patch in it.. the blue one with the plane design right? You could buy the iceman set and just use the others or give them away.. one option.. 8000 yen for all the iceman patches.. or you could try emailing and see if he'll do just one patch (unlikely, I suspect)

Oh! And these were from my school's recent cultural festival! We hold it each year and I try to throw some cosplay or other into the three days.. the kids always enjoy it... this year was Maverick!!! Easy and comfortable in the heat we had! (32, too much for an Englishman like me... )

4181c1e59a71071dbfbacff267680875.jpg
bf5cdedad2aa65f1f944739e0c8bd98b.jpg

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back