Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

im after the triangular goose patch if anyone can help. there was a trader in the uk called blue tiger trading who did them but wouldnt you know it as soon as i wanted one they stopped doing business!

Smiffyraf1 I purchased one of the blue tiger patches a while back. They were poorly designed and didn't match the movie patch except in a general way. As far as I can find the patch is not a true navy patch it looks like a combination of a few real patches. There is a design on one of the RPF pages on this thread that is more accurate. Easiest thing to do is take that design to a patch making company and have a few made up.

Anyone have a clue what this patch is ? It's worn by a few pilots in Top Gun mostly the background guys and "Sundown" image.jpg

im after the triangular goose patch if anyone can help. there was a trader in the uk called blue tiger trading who did them but wouldnt you know it as soon as i wanted one they stopped doing business!

As far as I can find the patch is not a true navy patch it looks like a combination of a few real patches. Easiest thing to do is take that design to a patch making company and have a few made up.
I had a few of those made. See my post on the previous page (http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=72089&p=2868663&viewfull=1#post2868663). I will post screenshots from the movie, the picture from a book about Navy patches, a photo of my patches and another photo of an official patch (in the wrong size) for you to compare if you want. I could sell you one of the patches.

In the movie: topgungoosemovie1.pngtopgungoosemovie2.pngtopgungoosemovie3.png
In the book: topgungoosebookcover.JPGtopgungoosebookpage.JPGtopgungoosebookzoom.JPG
The one I bought off ebay (seems authentic) vs the one I had made: topgungoose2patches.JPG
Mine on my 42L suit vs the larger one off ebay on my 42L suit: topgungoosesuitsmall.JPGtopgungoosesuitlarge.JPG

In the movie: View attachment 485005View attachment 485006View attachment 485007
In the book: View attachment 485008View attachment 485009View attachment 485010
The one I bought off ebay (seems authentic) vs the one I had made: View attachment 485011
Mine on my 42L suit vs the larger one off ebay on my 42L suit: View attachment 485012View attachment 485013

Korrigan, if you have any more i'd love you buy a couple from you. let me know if its something you'd do.

Yeah, they have them made to order for the owner of the shop here in Japan... While he doesn't make a Goose set, yet? Maybe an email could start that off?
I was thinking you could order the set of Iceman's patches and then use the few that matched with Goose?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fifthchamber: Its a great set up! Any chance u still have contact with the company that made the " fighter weapons school" patch. ive searched high and low to find someone who sells them with a red boarder. yours is the first one i came across

It's not so much a company, as "one man who loves movies", but he's selling the patches in sets....Here http://www.maxcady.com/e/topgunpe.htm

You could try emailing him and asking if he'd sell them individually? But it might not be possible....If you need help with translation to Japanese, holla at me, I'll help out when I can....

image.jpgimage.jpg Two suits I'm working on. The Maverick suit is about as close to screen accurate as I can get including period correct patches. The Iceman suit isn't quite there. I still haven't found a correct fighter weapons school patch and the 200 centurion patch isn't that great. But it's all getting there.

Any ideas where I can track down a better iceman/slider 200 patch. I bought this one on eBay
from BLue Tiger Trading but the colors are off and the design seems a little wrong too. But I can't find anything better out there
.image.jpg

Want me to email? They don't really speak English fluently, so perhaps a nudge in Japanese will push it over?

Want me to email? They don't really speak English fluently, so perhaps a nudge in Japanese will push it over?

Ben that would be amazing!! I've tried twice now and both times I got a form email back immediately to say they received my question and would respond but no response ever came. I just want to know if they'd sell their fighter weapons school patch by itself and what they would ask for each one. Hoping for 3 if they'd do it at a reasonable price. Thanks for giving this a shot for me .

Matt

Ok so another patch that frequently comes up with issues is the Iceman/ Slider centurion 200 patch. Again my lack of a blu-ray player makes it tough to really see the detail clearly but here is what i've managed to come up with based on some screen grabs and a little editing of a bad patch that you find frequently on ebay.
ICE200.jpgThis is the correct design as best i can tell. The 200, for those not up on Navy terms is for 200 successful landings or "traps" aboard a carrier. the design is meant to represent the deck of the ship, with the yellow white and gray lines being the deck and the black horizontals representing the arresting wires. wire #3 is snagged in this case forming the triangle and the heavy black line at the top is the aircraft's hook. The patch should measure roughly 4" across at the base and 4.5" tall. If anyone ventures to Disney World any time soon i'm told one of "icemans" original screen used suits is on display as you wait in line for the Great Movie Ride @ MGM. If you go snap a picture of the patch i wanna know how close i am on this.

Feel free to use the design i made up. If you have any patches made up you know "wink" "wink" send a few my way.

Scan.jpegthis is the not so accurate one you'll find from a trading company on Ebay. As far as I know this company and Maxcady are the only ones producing this patch. Maxcadys is more accurate but you have to buy it as part of the entire set

So I have to edit my original thought. I did in fact come across a real Ranger 200 patch. It is Asian made and most likely dates to the Vietnam era based on the cheesecloth backing . I have never seen another come up but there may be others out there. image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 354
Last edited:
Finally completed a Michael Ironsides "Jester" Flight suit, that is as close to the original as you can get. A few minor tweeks and it would be completely indistinguishable from the real deal.
image1.JPG
Starting with the suit itself, it is a vintage 80's summer weight flight suit made by Gibraltar Industries, I found images of the original which sold at auction a few years ago and was able to match the manufacturer and even the prop master's note on the tag. The nameplate was made by Gibson and Barnes formerly Flight Suits LTD who supplied the helmets and name plates for the original production. It has the correct color combination, lettering, and name. Frequently you'll find name tags that list the character's name as Rick Heatherly. It is actually Dick Heatherly and the original name plates had the call signs with 's on each side 'Jester'

A few things to keep in mind: patches in the 80's were not iron-on and though the correct military procedure is to have them attached to flight suits with hook and loop velcro the movie patches were sewn on except for the name tags.

The fighting 33 patch was fairly easy to source, below that is a vintage USN eagle anchor logo patch. There are lots of these out there but the correct ones are tricky to find since they date from WW2. One of the places i still need to work on is the "fighter weapons school" patch. It's pretty close but the movie ones don't have a blue edge they are red all the way around. On the other arm is a VF-213 lion i have to tweek this as well its a bit too large and is the only iron on patch of the bunch.

The hardest patch to not only determine but also source was the USS Ranger Centurion patch on the lower torso. It is only visible for a few frames during the Hanger classroom scene. Due to Tony Scott's love for high contrast its almost impossible to tell what it is. Screen grabs, months of searching, and talking with patch experts finally identified it for me. The patch is incredibly rare, dating to the early days of Vietnam real ones can cost upwards of $200. Diamond Patch co of Japan made some replicas but haven't been available for some time.
image2.JPG

on top of all that I added an MA-2 harness, an LPU-23 ejection seat life vest, not pictured but also included is a set of anti-g "speed jeans" , and a green MBU-14/p O2 mask. only the helmet left to complete the whole deal.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back