Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403592810.542246.jpg

Here's my topgun project. Taken me a few years to gather up all the pieces and parts and is still under construction. This is from last Halloween; since then I've added a lower redar hose and boot as well as modified the oxygen mask from mbu-12 to mbu-14.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are wearing Csu-13, that was the right USN configuration in the 80s.
No Csu-15. You can spot Csu-15s by their "satin-like" material, shinnier than the matte csu-13.
Here is a Csu-15:
268676.jpg

Good catch on the anti g suit type. it is a csu-13. whoisthismike: thats a great looking set up. just watch out for the patches. Goose dies before graduation so he never has a Top Gun patch on his shoulder. Only a Tomcat patch with ranger centurion patch, and us flag with white ( not yellow) boarder.

Speaking of Top gun patches does anyone know where to find a film correct one? everything out there looks like this $_57.jpg while the movie used patches didnt have the black outer boarderHollywood6.jpg

Thanks! Yup the visor knob has already been painted; I wasn't sure if I was going to swap it for my Maverick helmet and paint it blue but I finally made the right choice ;) .

For sure about the patches. This suit originally started off as a Maverick but I ended up sporting a 'stache so I built a goose helmet in lieu of shaving...hence the patch configuration. Gotta love those sharp eagle eyes though :)

OK since we brought up patches i need a bit of help with one. In the scene with sundown on the tarmac Maverick is sporting a different set of patches. His right arm remains the same with a tomcat patch a ranger centurion and a white edged us flag. but on his lower left chest he has a uss william standley patch and this patch on his left shoulder:IMG_3039.jpg anyone know what it is?? ive been trying to figure it out for a few hrs now. I lack a blu-ray player to see it in real high def

Well....Since we're doing this! Here's my jacket......

It does (In my humble opinion) seem to be the closest to the movie version I've seen out there.....

The back...

The patch he's wearing above is the USS Galveston patch....But that doesn't fit, since that was his dad's ship....Not something he (as a flyer) would have had anything to do with....Perhaps a "tribute"? But that's again, deeply unlikely....Just a mistake I suspect....

Oh...Here are the photos I have of my flying suit....Rather decently done....All in all....Excuse my face.

And, being "nuts" about the film....I went a touch further and found the correct medals he wears, as well as the khaki, whites, and choker uniform he used.....
Although I don't feel as good about wearing those out and about at events etc....

This is all for Pete Mitchell though....Not Goose...So I do apologise for messing up the thread with non-Goose gear....

Any and all questions welcome!

We could probably get an even better picture, but you can make out some writing on this one so mabye it helps:View attachment 342092

The USS Galveston patch is sold here......Although, again, it's clearly a mistake, or Maverick just "honouring" his dad, by wearing a non-regulation patch....The Galveston wasn't something he'd have been attached to as a flyer....It's his dad's connection, through the jacket...Although again, the connection is remote.....Since his dad was ALSO a pilot....But there's more link there than with Mitchell himself....

USS Galveston Shipmates Association

Korrigan: thanks so much for the help on the Galveston patch, i spent several hrs last night scrolling through pages of navy patches with no success. This is why i love this forum
Fifthchamber: All your stuff looks great. I have to ask were you tracked down the Fighter weapons school patch with a red outer boarder. I've been looking for that one for a while everything i come across has either blue or yellow boarder.

There are several shops here in Japan, near the bases that sell the patches made to order.. You can ask them to make pretty much whatever you like! The man who sells these in Japan gets them to make the correct patches for the jacket and the flightsuit as well.. Made to his order, since he loves the film as well.. He's a bigger Top Gun nut than me! And he gets them all right...

And, being "nuts" about the film....I went a touch further and found the correct medals he wears, as well as the khaki, whites, and choker uniform he used.....
Although I don't feel as good about wearing those out and about at events etc....

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums...7-E3AA-4775-BD62-B1E8D4D64208_zpsahnxyctp.jpg

Yeah, I would definitely advise against wearing the formal Dress uniforms anywhere you may be be mistaken for an actual service member. There have been lot of incidents of "Stolen Valor" in the past year or so, and it may get you an "In Your Face" dressing down by actual Veterans. Other than that it looks awesome :thumbsup

Well, being English there is less worry about being mistaken as an American.. But yeah, absolutely.. I'm not out for that.. I love the film, but don't want to be pretending I'm a fighter.. Just pretending I'm an 80's Tom Cruise will do... Agreed!

unknown.jpg
Alright you guys have been great in figuring out the Uss Galveston patch and the triangle patch on Goose's suit. What the heck is this one? Sundown wears it on his left shoulder. as far as i can tell its only visible in a few frames at the very end of the hangar/ classroom scene. who can solve this one??

ok while we're at it does anyone know what this one is on the lower right of Jester? The best o can tell its a light blue circle with green ivy on each side. banners at the top and bottom.

top_gun_michael_ironside.png

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back