Top Gun "Goose" Costuming Guide.

Just got it back from the tailor, had to try it on!

I decided to put a different patch on the left ab. for now until a ore accurate "triangle" patch comes available.

1120091532a.jpg

Hi All,

After some research I found the following info:

One image is the patch available on the 'bay and is OK until a better one is available,

The other image however was found in a book called United States Naval Aviation Patches - Aircraft Carriers, Carrier Wings - By Michael L. Roberts and is probably closer the patch worn in the movie.

All I need to find now is what is the eagle patch on Goose's flight jacket and what does his T-Shirt say. As well as an image of the "Goose" on his Helmet bag!

My friend and I are working on Maverick and Goose Top Gun flight suit costumes for halloween. I am very particular about having things exactly the way they were in the movie (you should see our Bill & Ted costumes). I don't know if it is an error with the movie props, but there are different points in the film where the actors' flight suits are different. For example the picture of Goose above is different from another picture of Goose in the movie that I have seen. I have Top Gun on Blu-ray so I am going to analyze this further and get some hi-res pics of the patches up here soon.

Also someone posted a link to the 1starmy.com website and FYI I went to their physical store and the flight suits they have do not have the patches in the proper places and they are glued onto the suits pretty terribly. I would not recommend them unless you are just buying individual patches.

My friend and I are working on Maverick and Goose Top Gun flight suit costumes for halloween. I am very particular about having things exactly the way they were in the movie (you should see our Bill & Ted costumes). I don't know if it is an error with the movie props, but there are different points in the film where the actors' flight suits are different. For example the picture of Goose above is different from another picture of Goose in the movie that I have seen. I have Top Gun on Blu-ray so I am going to analyze this further and get some hi-res pics of the patches up here soon.

Also someone posted a link to the 1starmy.com website and FYI I went to their physical store and the flight suits they have do not have the patches in the proper places and they are glued onto the suits pretty terribly. I would not recommend them unless you are just buying individual patches.

not having the film in front of me i can't be positive, but since they are going from a fleet squadron to a training squadron they would change their squadron and name patches to reflect that.

but seeing as Pete also has a 3D MAW patch on his jacket who knows if they payed that much attention to what patches went where and when...

Last edited:
IMG_1740.jpg beyond the flight suit and patches, to add to the realism theres a few other things you can include. The largest pieces and the most expensive are MA-2 Ejection seat harness, MBU-14P green oxygen mask, HGU-33 helmet. under his flight suit goose wears one of two shirts either a white polo. or a white and red baseball style shirt ( red sleeves white chest) if you can find one without a red collar your golden. rarely seen in the film goose and all the pilots would be wearing Mark II anti-g suits.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back