Definitive Clockwork Orange Costume

So, I found this place when I was starting to work on my costume, so I thought it was only fair to share what I've come up with.

Before I start - I put myself on a $100 budget for this. I knew I wasn't going to get it 100% right, but this is my best shot at that price-range.

tumblr_lsbwn6vf7Z1qk43ago1_500.jpg

I cut out pieces of fabric from what I'd be using for the codpiece and glued the eyes on. I originally was just sealing the edges with liquid latex, but I liked how it looked and did it all over.

tumblr_lsds73W8Ii1qk43ago1_500.png

After "3D paint". I did another layer after that since it flattened a little while it dried.

After that, I painted over it with acrylic paint. I don't have a good shot because my camera's being dead right now and I just have my mobile phone's camera.

tumblr_ltb54pk63O1qk43ago1_500.png

The shirt as it is now. I glued the eyes on and then sewed around the edges because I'm paranoid. I still want to re-shape the pocket flaps, but probably not this year.

To do the collar, I marked it in pencil, cut it off, folded the edges in and whip-stitched - then added top-stitching to stabilise.

As a note, you can see in these two pictures : one and two that his shirt has some kind of a ribbed pique/marcella collar and front. Thought it was kinda interesting.

Now, today (and probably tomorrow), I'm making the codpiece.

gp.jpg

That's the pattern on the fabric and the athletic guard I got to go in it. Fabric's kinda damp because it was wrinkly and I didn't have an iron, so I sprayed it and smoothed it out by hand.

I'll need two of the waistband and four of the codpiece part. I'm probably going to make a piece to go behind it when it's done to act as a pocket.

I've also got some craft foam to bulk out the waistband a bit. And I have to get some velcro because I keep forgetting.

After that, I'm pretty much done for this year as my budget is used-up - I think I went $10 over. But all in all I'm pretty pleased so far.

Thanks -

Finished it tonight :

inside.jpg

Halfway done. Found the iron. Melted some of my cheap rug. Oops.

done2.jpg

Done. I used craft foam to pad the waistband.

1.jpg

2.jpg

I'm pretty happy with how it turned out and kind of shocked I actually did it and nothing major went wrong.

Found a picture I took after painting the bloody eyeball :

Eye1.jpg

Had one of those sets of tiny acrylic paint tubes I borrowed from a friend. I'm not quite happy with it, but better than it looked before.

Now I just have to find a way to fix the pants and I'm good to go for this year.

well done mate. looks good

im preparing my codpiece now. ive got a coat from a charity shop and that will be used as the material. i better not mess it up !

will post pics when completed

hey great stuff guys! i 2 am trying to put together a good alex costume...when i started i figured than in a couple of weeks i was gonna be able to have evrything i needed....instead its been 9 months and im not done yet....but im getting close finally...the problem is i want evry single item to be almost a 100% screen accurate....
@notsoserious:i was wondering, what size are those eyes u used 4 the cuffs? 26mm? bigger? thanks

the codpiece being a cricket costume is a rumor I believe Malcolm McDowell himself started, perhaps a last second beginning brainstorming dress rehearsal could have contained cricket pants/etc but the final screen-used codpieces are all custom made by the wardrobe stylist, Alex's shirt was custom made by the wardrobe stylist, here is a rundown of Alex's costume.....

Vintange Bowler Hat
Run of the mill white suspenders
Combat boots
Cricket looking white pants
Custom designed custom made codpiece
Custom designed custom made shirt (The shirt is light corduroy, white, western cut, with buttons, 3 buttons on cuffs, with 2 pockets in front, with no collar 'collarless'.
Blackthorn cane with hidden knife
Custom designed eyeball cuffs
Custom designed mask

This was a "low budget" Kubrick movie, but he still spent money on custom props, you can see them if you look. The movie was super low budget compared to 2001.

39914a34.png

I was Alex in the Halloween of 2010. The hardest part was finding a decent white shirt with 2 pockets in the front. Ended up using this one I found at a vintage clothing store on Hollywood Blvd. It's not western cut but it was close enough. Suspenders were cheapest ones on ebay, you'll see more accurate pants on right image thrift store 5$, Can't see boots but their *exact* screen accurate matches to Alex's, Cane isn't a true blackthorn but it's an invincible plastic version from cold steel on ebay, mask was nice but hard to breathe in from ebay, eyeball cuffs I custom made, hat was a nice match just a modern brand from ebay, the hardest part was the codpiece I custom made, I sold all of this costume the very next halloween in 2011 and it sold for *way more* than I thought it would, now this year 2012 I see there is an OFFICIAL Clockwork Orange costume! hah, Santa Monica Blvd had at least 10 Droogies in 2010, guessing the number rose in 2011 and perhaps a Warner Brothers exec attended and got the idea of cashing in on this, I still prefer a custom made one.

Last edited:
Great to see so many of the guys doing this costume, they look great. I had my Mom help me make this costume for Halloween my freshman year of high school (1993 I think!)

I'm currently doing this costume as a project. I was intending to submit it into the 501st Reel Icons, but after checking, it no longer falls into the remit, so I'm doing it now as a bit of fun.

I'll post my progress as I go along. First thing I will contribute is that finding a screen accurate shirt is nigh on impossible. To that end I have sourced a supplier of needlecord fabric and have employed the services of a lady who makes Western period costume to make me up a shirt. For the record, I have estimated that the weave of the corduroy is 16 or 18 Wale. That is the number of 'ribs' per inch of material.
That's not a definate, just my guess.

Last edited:
Last edited:
I did the cane today. Because every Blackthorn is different, finding a exact replica can be tricky (and expensive). After failing to win many e-bay auctions, I cheated a bit and went for a far cheaper stick made from Holly that had roughly the same shape..
20120922_100301_zps5764458b.jpg

One painting and lacquering session later..
20120922_223939_zps05a6310a.jpg

Not the best picture, but you get the idea. I'll post better ones soon.
B.T.W. - going back to my previous comment about the tabs on the braces being a different shape; looking at the picture above and comparing, I'm not so sure. I need to study the film again. Does anyone have the Blu-ray and can confirm whether there is a semi-circle leather flap at the bottom of Malc's braces like in the picture of mine above?

Last edited:
This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back