Definitive Clockwork Orange Costume

This thread interests me, since I first saw IF, with Malcolm Mcdowell at boarding school, and I am sure they locked the rifles away to stop us acting out the film in real life, perhaps even the masters were up in the balcony with the rifles trained on us! (LOL) However, I thought McDowell was so good in that film, and then I saw Clockwork Orange. Now, how many know that McDowell was born Malcolm Taylor, and at school he always had a part in the outdoor Sheakespeare plays. His school friend lives 3 miles from me, and once played "Cobweb" to Malcolm McDowells "Bottom". And Malcolms friend sells antiques in a shop, and in that shop he had a bowler that fits me perfectly.....before you all make 2 and 2 make 5, it IS NOT McDowells bowler, it was just a weird thing that I had wanted to get a Droog costume together, and found the hat being sold by his schoolchum. As for everyone thinking that the most important thing about the costume is either the suspenders, the boots, or that famous codpiece, may I politely remind you that costume is just that, once in the costume, you are transformed, but for you to carry it off with panache, I can honestly inform you that it is all about assuming the attitude of a Droog, and if you are good at it, minor differences in the costume will not be noticeable. As Malcolm Taylor, he was in the outdoor plays as follows, MidSummers Nights Dream 1959, Julius Ceasar 1960, Romeo 61 (according to his friend those last two could be the other way around). He left summer 1961 to go to drama school. happy Drooging from Agent Orange

First of all, I've been reading RPF for a long time and I think this is my second post. So please forgive any breaches of etiquette!

I'm going to be working on an Alex costume for wearing at the end of May. I'm a woman, so obviously it's crossplay. Thank you all SO much for the detailed pictures - it helps so much!

I had a question - are we 100% sure that the shirt Alex wears is corduroy? The stills I've found from the film look like it's plain cotton or linen, which would make more sense for cricket gear IMHO.

However, if it's corduroy, that's what I'll make it out of. :D

For the codpiece, I'm thinking of purchasing a modern one and covering it in white fabric - I see that someone here made one that way, and it inspired me. I'll post photos, if that's ok, of the work in progress so I can get tips and advice, and maybe help other people who come looking.

Last edited:
Welcome to the RPF Shadoshan.

The shirt is corduroy. I think there are pics in this thread or elsewhere that show that.

Good luck on your costume.

Be sure to post pics. ;)

I had a question - are we 100% sure that the shirt Alex wears is corduroy? The stills I've found from the film look like it's plain cotton or linen, which would make more sense for cricket gear IMHO.

However, if it's corduroy, that's what I'll make it out of. :D

Definately corduroy. These pics are quite clear. :)
sdffh_zpsf4f5557f.jpg

yoke_zps0db80764.jpg

Hello All,

Love the Thread! I have been working on this quickly for next weekend, and I am only short the pants and shirt at this point, and Cod peice. Sadly getting the pants from the UK to the US is difficult. Anyone know of a decent alternative in the states?

Just wanted to show off MY attempt at an Alex costume! Me and my lady were a HUGE success at the parties we went to. I just want to give special thanks to NoTsOsErIoUs for sharing his tips and tricks with me. And now? On to the pics!

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/fakebritishaccent/100_1915.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y173/fakebritishaccent/Alex2.jpg

Hi, where did you buy the dagger concealed in Alex's walking stick? Can you send me the link please?
thanks
larry
larrymur@exemail.com.au

Thats a great costume, where did you get the shirt please? Is it corduroy? can you send me the link please
thanks
larry
larrymur@exemail.com.au

Me?

Finding an exact replica is nigh-on impossible. I estimated the wale (thickness) of the cord, found a local corduroy maker, bought about a metre and then gave it to a dressmaker with a very precise set of instructions and reference photos.
So, sadly, not an "off the peg" shirt.
Sorry.

Thanks everyone for the advice! I have my first version of Alex done and I'll be wearing it to SDCC in a week or so. I need your help again!

To the best of my knowledge, at no time does Alex carry a bag or case or anything. But at Comic-con it's crucial to have something to carry your stuff and swag and spare phone batteries in. :D So, in your opinions, what WOULD Alex carry stuff in?

Here's a photo of my first-draft Alex. I fudged on eyeballs, pants, cane and bracers for now but I am working on more accurate versions of all of them. :D

krys-alex.jpg

SHODOSHAN - Great costume. Do you have any pics from SDCC to post?
@frantic Hedgehod - Great costume. I'm sure you'll have no problem selling it quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
hey guys! hows evrybody doin? finally, after 2 years (!!!!!!!!!!!) i finished my Alex costume...i must admit i got carried away with it, just a little bit... ; )
i meant to post "step by step" pix of evry single item, but time's a b*tch, so ill just upload a couple of shots i just took, and hopefully i'll have the time to upload more specific pix soon... ; )
hope u like it! : )image(1).jpegimage(3).jpeg

Great costume LeVicomte!

I'd love to see any other pics you have top share!

Amazing construction on the cod-piece. Can you elaborate on its construction?

Hey Tiberius Kirk!!! First of all, thank you for your kind words! As i said, it took me 2 years to put the costume together...
first coz i don't have much spare time, second coz i wanted to get each item as accurate as possible..

After a looooooooooong search i was able to find this vintage Lee western style corduroy cream shirt (thats a mouthful, i know!):

image(14).jpegimage(7).jpeg

it originally had a collar, pearl snap buttons and it was a woman's (buttons on the left side)!!!!
so i had the collar removed, the buttons placed on the right side, plus i got some round mother of pearl buttons to replace the snap ones.
u can see he's got some kind of round pearl looking buttons in this pic:

alex11.jpg
unfortunately, there was no way to get the lines on the shoulders horizontal instead of vertical! : (

For the pants i was able to find (it wasn't easy) some actual cricket pants. white. no logos.
image(8).jpeg

the cuffs: i wasnt happy with any of the cuffs i was able to find on the net, so i decided to give it a shot and make them myself..
i used these pix as reference:

alex19.jpgAlexBlackthornBlade.jpg

and these are the ones i made:

image(4).jpegimage(5).jpeg

i bought 24mm half round glass eyes, one brown and one blue...the rest is latex. i first scupted them in plasticine and then made a plaster mould of them...they didnt come out perfect, but it was fun making them! : )

now, the codpiece!
i bought a groin protector...i searched and searched till i found one that had a basic shape, similar to the original one.
it was red originally. i had to resize it, coz it was way too big. i tore it apart and reshaped it.
added some foam rubber to get the round shape in the front to really stick out:

image(9).jpeg

i also added a plastic cup to get the grotesque shape it has when seen from the side.

cup.jpgimage(12).jpeg

then i bought some fabric. i know it was supposedly suedette, (as Frantic Hedgehog pointed out) the one used in the original codpiece, but i went for a different kind of fabric, a stretchy one. then i had to learn how to use a sewing machine. after a lot a lot a lot of trial and error...actually mostly errors, i managed to upholster it. almost all of the wrinkles are gone. Especially when I wear it! : )

image(2).jpegimage(10).jpeg

i found this pic on the net, and used it as reference

th.jpg

the boots are split-sole Corcoran paratrooper jump boots.
image(11).jpeg

i also wanted to add the shillelagh with hidden blade to the costume
so i fashioned it

image.jpeg

it's mostly cardboard, plastic and wood...it added a nice touch to the finished costume.

but as i said i got carried away with this project...lol

i also got:
-a dark blond wig & cut it a bit;
-a maskie;
-Y white suspenders with golden hardware;
-eyelashes, which needed to b reshaped too as i wasnt able to find a pair that looked like the ones in the movie;
-a burgundy bouncy ball, like the one he sticks in the writer's wife's mouth;
-underwear (One pair of underpants ó white with blue waistband!)
-and even some blue lenses, as my eyes are brown.

the only thing i got completely different is the bowler hat. i didnt get a Dunn & Co, coz i couldnt find one that fit me. : (

ok, i guess thats it. sorry for the long post, but i must admit i was looking forward to share this with u, so that i could give something back, since i was never gonna b able to make it, without this thread!!! so thanks to evrybody that took part to it and to you Tiberius Kirk for starting it!!!!!!!!!!! : )

Thank you!!!! I'm really glad you liked it...your reply really made my day!
And as for resuming the costume, I'd surely recommend it, since it's been so much fun for me...I'm sure it'll b for you too. : )
Plus I got sooo much info in my head about it, that I'm sure, in case u had trouble, I could b of help. ; )

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back