How to prime Super Sculpey

Hirohawa

Sr Member
I know Super Sculpey is unstable with certain paints. I have read that regular automotive primer or sandable primers can be used. Is this correct?

What do you guys use for Primer?

Thanks

I know Super Sculpey is unstable with certain paints. I have read that regular automotive primer or sandable primers can be used. Is this correct?

What do you guys use for Primer?

Thanks

I've worked with Sculpey for the past 14 years. I usually use cheap Colormart Equipment Gray Primer from Walmart. But there's a catch: The first coat will be sticky and uncured. You have to lay down a few coats, letting it dry between each. Also, sometimes if you're lightly dusting it with the primer, dried flecks of primer will collect in the nooks and crannies of the sculpt. Don't worry...after it dries, these flecks can be rubbed off with a wet towel.

What exactly are you trying to paint? Is it large or small?

I used sculpey to add some parts to a metal blaster. The parts are small.

Is acrylic enamel from a spray can okay to use?

I have painted Sculpey before with Tamiya paints through an airbrush. I just wanted to put down a primer this time for durability.

Thanks

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back