Mods from official items for prop replicas.

CB2001

Master Member
Much like my "Items you didn't know you had that were props (sometimes until too late)" post, I've decided to post this particular topic, as I know that some people over at the ASAP forum had done this particular method in order to make prop replicas (and I know some of here have done this too, as I've seen posts, such as one with someone converting a toy phaser for the latest Star Trek movie to a screen accurate prop replica). So, I guess I'll start off with a simple story of what compelled me to make this post.

Recently, I checked out the two-disc edition of "The Dark Knight" from the library at Full Sail. And on the second disc, they talk about the construction of Batman's suit. One day earlier, I had been at the nearby Target store (after checking the CVS pharmacy, to which someone gave me a heads up on purchasing a Michael Myers mask for $10 from there, with no avail) and walked through the Halloween section they already had up. While walking through, I spotted an official Batman from "The Dark Knight" adult costume, typical of fabric and stuffing. After seeing the featurette on the making of the film, and that section about the Batman suit, I wondered if it could be possible to purchase the adult custom and somehow add onto it to make a close to accurate replica. After a couple of hours of thinking about it, I came to realize the odds of doing a conversion of an adult custom to screen accurate prop would be impossible due to the materials that the adult costume was made out of. And then I thought about other props, especially from ASAP forum that started off their lives as official merchandise that was barely screen accurate until a lot of prop makers got their hands on it (and I even recalled how for a major "space fight" sequence in "Star Trek: Deep Space Nine", that model makers actually purchased a lot of the old Playmate toy ships and converted them to be use for filming. And I recalled a YouTube video where someone took a Don Post Michael Myers mask and try to make it look more screen accurate to the one in the first "Halloween").

So, here's the question I'm posting here: have there been any official merchandise (i.e. clothing, toys, etc.) that you converted over to make into a screen accurate or semi-accurate replica? If so, did you like how it turned out or would you do something different with it?

I converted the lifesize spencers Chucky to something that was far more presentable:

ChuckyStep2.jpg
ChuckyStep15a.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=69797

Also converted the Hasbro lifesize (12") Chip Hazard and Archer figures:

Archer2.jpg
Archer3.jpg

ChipHazard1.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=66912

Also converted the Hasbro Deatheater voice changer mask into 2 different versions:

DSCF4503-1.jpg
Deatheater6.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=47180

DSCF4503-1.jpg
DeathEater4.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=41492
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b24/msbillen/DSCF4503-1.jpg

The elephant in the room for this would have to be the Hasbro E-11 mods. At least half of the 501st has one and it's everything from just a black paintjob to resincast sterling add-ons. Like anything else it comes down to how much effort you put into it and what you can live with.

The elephant in the room for this would have to be the Hasbro E-11 mods. At least half of the 501st has one and it's everything from just a black paintjob to resincast sterling add-ons. Like anything else it comes down to how much effort you put into it and what you can live with.
Two more recent examples from Hasbro: The Rebel Blaster and the Clone Trooper Voice Changer helmet.

Two more recent examples from Hasbro: The Rebel Blaster and the Clone Trooper Voice Changer helmet.

I just did a straightforward repaint of the Rebel Blaster (found at a thrift shop for $1.95!). I have a Han Solo blaster (the orange one) that may meet the same fate, with a slight modification to the scope.

The most extensive rebuild I've done is the Obi ROTS electronic saber from Hasbro. From the forward grip to the pommel, it's actually pretty close to the correct size. With a new neck/windvane and emitter, it's a decent though not especially accurate piece.

a lot of people have modified the Real Ghostbusters animated series Ghost Trap to a movie accurate one. They do this because the toy has a air pump on the pedal that makes the doors pop open. So they can make a functional prop

a lot of people have modified the Real Ghostbusters animated series Ghost Trap to a movie accurate one. They do this because the toy has a air pump on the pedal that makes the doors pop open. So they can make a functional prop

Really? I'm surprised they would do that, as I'm sure the toy trap is rare nowadays. Even so, I'd love to see picture of the conversion process. :D

I've seen mods of the playmates Trek Tricorders and phasers.
I've done my own mods on Kenner blasters for trooping. My fave is the BFG mod of a Kenner blaster. Looks sorta like an MG=34.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back