Ghostsoldier's Snape Build v.1 (Pic intensive!)

Well, we got most of our gear finished for Melbourne Supanova, even got the Snape robe finished (it is a bit rough but it is so full of fabric that you can't really see the problems).

Couple of pictures of my daughter's Bellatrix corset.

corset 1.jpgcorset 2.jpg

More pictures from Supanova tomorrow.

Well Supanova Melbourne 2014 is over. Just got our costumes finished in the nick of time and we had lots of people tell us that they looked "Amazing" so I think we didn't do that bad a job. Lots of people photographed us, just need to do some work on improving them before Supanova Sydney.
Bella and Snape.JPG

Wow...those are exceptional! You're daughter favors Emma Watson a little, IMHO, although she makes a great Bellatrix

How was the feel of the wool of your coat? Was it heavy, and/or warm, or hardly noticeable? I wished I could get lucky here in the U.S. to find suiting wool at a decent price...most of it is really outrageous per yard (well, for the amount I would need, anyway)....I'm thinking of using a synthetic blend, as long as the drape weight looks good....it should be much cheaper.

Rob

I have started drawing up a vector PDF of the pattern which I used for the Snape frock coat I made recently. It will be drawn for my own dimensions but I suppose if anyone has the ability to resize a pattern, then it can be adapted. I used Ghostsoldier's instructions for making an academic gown but I really rushed it (3 hours) and it isn't much chop so I am going to go back to that and make it again. I am also going to start on a pair of trousers, in the same material that I used for the coat, based on the "tight fit" pattern from this website A Tailor Made It: Trouser pattern shapes

Is there a way to attach files to a post? Pictures are easy enough but I am not sure how to attach a PDF file. If someone could advise I would appreciate it.

Hi Rob,

It's been a while! My Prof Snape outfit is starting to show it's age and we were already considering redoing at least the cassock, and low and behold what happened to be at the HP Celebration this past weekend? And without the costume police. I took probably 50 pictures, but here are some of the highlights:

I used a 2-3/32" x 3.375" card as reference. I pulled PNG files into AutoCAD, scaled the images and came up with the following:
1 buttons 12 each.jpg
The 12 buttons down the front are almost exactly 0.75"

2 collar scale.jpg
The collar is 2-1/2" tall.

3 Lapel scale 1.jpg
The "lapel" on the cape 2-3/8" wide.

4 yolk seam.jpg
The seam where the front and rear yolk meet is 3-3/8" wide.

Other observations:
5 sleeve seam.jpg
This is the "bat wing" sleeve on the cape which does reach the floor and it's seamed up the back. Silly me - I made the "wings" in one piece.:$

6 lapel double stitch.jpg
This is a close up of the double stitching on the upper part of the "lapel".

7 back yolk 1.jpg
Here's the rear yolk and the gathering of the cape body.

8 back yolk 2.jpg
A close up showing what looks like hand stitching at the top of each gather - may be it's pleated?

9 split and bunch-up.jpg
The pants leg is bunched up (I noticed this in the movie also). Also, where the cuff meets the shoe, it is actually slightly pointed. I may have a better picture of that.

10 ascott and collar - blue fabric.jpg
This shows the ascot material and the cassock really is dark dark indigo midnight blue - not black.

I wanted to lift the cape to get a look at the "tails" of the cassock for width and seaming details, but I also didn't want to get tossed out of the park!

And my other Prof Snape related costume can be seen here: It does share the same wig!

ATL

Wow, Ken...those are awesome reference pics! Sorry for the late reply...I've been trying to catch up here lately.

I really appreciate you sharing this info....it's great stuff, and will go a long way to helping me (finally) finish my costume; especially clearing up the debate on the colors of the materials...that's awesome!

And, your costume looks fantastic! :thumbsup

Rob

This thread has been indispensable in collecting reference pictures. I finished(mostly) my costume in November but I figured I would pop in and say a belated thank you.

No thanks needed....I'm just glad that the info that I (and others) have shared here, has been beneficial to anyone who loves the Snape costume. ;)

Rob

Last edited:
Oh here is me in costume. I don't have many pictures of the costume on but I do have a lot of pictures of the costume in production if anyone is interested. snape1.jpgsnape2.jpgsnape3.jpg Also bonus picture of a friend who is a more appropriate height I convinced to try the costume on.snape_t.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0752.JPG
    IMG_0752.JPG
    555.6 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_0755.JPG
    IMG_0755.JPG
    488.3 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0757.JPG
    IMG_0757.JPG
    528.2 KB · Views: 155
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    700.7 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0880.JPG
    IMG_0880.JPG
    697.4 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Okay...behind the times here :) Been reading through all of this. What was finally use for the cloths for the jacket? I'm at the point where the great muslin experiment phase is overwith :) And thanks for all the documentation in this thread.

Hey there, I have been spying on this thread and reading it (OVER AND OVER AND OVER) for the past month or two. First of all, thank you all SO MUCH for all this information, pictures, debates, etc... you have no idea how much it helped me in my costume creation.

Second, I'd like to share what I have done, the steps, and (soon) the final product.

Notes: I'm a woman, and therefor will be gender bending Snape for Halloween. I'll be going in skirt and heels, with a modified coat based on the EveningArwen design.

Notes 2: I have NEVER sewn anything in my life resembling this. I did most of the coat by hand, and my mother in law jumped to my rescue with a sewing machine for the button holes and the robes. I am SO happy with the results, you have no idea.

The Coat

I used an old coat of mine as base. I perused some stores, but decided against buying a new coat to change and I really didn't feel I had enough experience to create a coat from scratch. Plus time constraint with Halloween.

Here is a picture of the original coat (sorry don't have anything with a broader shot):

IMG_5323.JPG

And the work began, first taking off all the unnecessary bits and bobs. Buttons, the zipper. Needed to cut the collar and shape the bottom hem (based on EveningArwen design a bit). Divide the back into three parts and then resew new buttons.:

IMG_6764.JPG

IMG_6767.JPG

IMG_6769.JPG

I can't do anything about those fake pockets on the breasts without ruining the whole coat. But I figured the robe will hide them most of the time anyways, so I left them be.

IMG_6772.JPG

IMG_6796.JPG

To be continued....

Attachments

• IMG_5323.JPG
    IMG_5323.JPG
    333.4 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_5323.JPG
    IMG_5323.JPG
    245.5 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Continued from last post:

BUTTONS!

IMG_6849.JPG

And that's pretty it for the coat. I wish I had new material for it, but maybe later I'll start it from scratch. I'm happy that it worked at all really. Photos with me in it to come later.

The F*ING Robes

Oh what a lovely piece of fabric, so full of character, so bloody dark, so impossible to ********* see how it's possibly cut. THANKFULLY this whole thread exists for the sole purpose of making my life easier and allowing me to make out what I think it the final Snape cloak cut (tm).

To show you how INSANE I made myself, I decided to create a mini version of the robes with old bed sheets.

This was the first attempt (it failed, I had the two large side pieces completely wrong)

IMG_6823.JPG

After sewing the front bits to the yolk, as well as the back, I realized quickly that the side pieces were wrong. WAY too small as it were. Here were the new cuts:

IMG_6824.JPG

The new shape actually creates the desired open sleeve effect as well as gives enough material which falls sideways from the shoulder and backwards too.

IMG_6825.JPG

Trying it out on the absolutely creepy model (daughter's doll)

IMG_6826.JPG

IMG_6827.JPG

I was happy with out the mini me version turned out. So I went hunting for fabric. After talking to a professional cosplayer at work, she recommended me Gabardine made of Cotton - and that's what I got. I bought a 160x300cm piece. It's huge, but to be frank: it's JUST enough. I'm 166cm tall. So if you're any taller than that, I tell you: get 400cm if you really want to make it look authentic.

To be continued....

Last edited:
Continued from previous (for my first post on this site, this is getting kinda silly big...but might as well put it all here so people can later do like I did and read this thread like a bible)

I don't have any pictures of the whole cutting process for the robe. My mother in law took over (she's been sewing for decades) and though she was reluctant to go forward without a proper pattern, I pushed her to just go ahead and try. The results are amazing to be honest.

I will post pictures here as soon as I have them :)

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your information, Rob. I'm not a cosplayer (not even sure what that it, really), but I love to sew and especially make costumes, and I've been obsessed with Snape ever since I saw the first movie trailer and realized who was playing him! Alan Rickman's death inspired me to make a Snape costume for this coming Halloween (and I figure that's about how much time I'll need to make it), and if I'm going to do it, I"m going to do it right. I found an "Enlisted Man's Frock Coat" pattern from Abraham's Lady here: https://www.abrahamslady.com/mens_patterns.html and this pattern for Men's Moschetto's: http://www.lafnmoon.com/product_p/p131.htm that are pretty close to the costume with a few modifications. Now to buy my muslin, find some fabric and try to fit men's clothes to a female body! I'm excited to get going on this, and I especially appreciate the information on the measurements off of the actual costume. I went to see that exhibit about five years ago with my son here in Boston when he was less than 2. Needless to say, it didn't go very well! I'm considering starting a blog for my costume as well because I really appreciate finding this kind of information online, and learning from the experiences that others have had.

Megan

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back