Scratchbuilt 1/2222 Star Destroyer Avenger

Re: Scratchbuilt Star Destroyer 1/2222 scale

Fantastic Scratchy! What an incredible job. Glad to see a fellow modeller from BC.

If I can ask... what books are using for reference? I see one or two in some of the pictures. I'm guessing the ILM shots in the one book are from the ILM ESB 'Avenger' build.

The first SD build for ANH was done largely with a single sketch as reference. I collect production used ILM prints and just happen to own an ILM dyeline of the sketch that was used for the ANH Devastator build.

Leif

SDdyeline.jpg

Fantastic Scratchy! What an incredible job. Glad to see a fellow modeller from BC.

If I can ask... what books are using for reference? I see one or two in some of the pictures. I'm guessing the ILM shots in the one book are from the ILM ESB 'Avenger' build.

The first SD build for ANH was done largely with a single sketch as reference. I collect production used ILM prints and just happen to own an ILM dyeline of the sketch that was used for the ANH Devastator build.

Leif

SDdyeline.jpg

That's an awesome print!!!

The books that I'm using;

Star Wars Chronicals
Sculpting a Galaxy
Technical Journel
From Star Wars to Indianna Jones - The Best of the Lucasfilm Archives
Complete Cross Sections (for the heavy ordinance hanger)
Art of The Empire Strikes Back

Various images found on the Internet

Thanks for the kind words Leif

here's some updated images of the build, I've roughed in the Tower Bridge
IMG_4228.jpg

IMG_4229.jpg

I'll make the bridge removable, just for accessability to the F.O.
IMG_4230.jpg

It just slides on.....
IMG_4231.jpg

IMG_4232.jpg

I'm happy on how snug this fits
IMG_4233.jpg

Here's the tower sitting on the hull....
IMG_4234.jpg

Starting to rough in the superstructure....
IMG_4235.jpg

IMG_4236.jpg

IMG_4237.jpg

IMG_4238.jpg

IMG_4239.jpg

I'll have the Superstructure removable too, held to the hull with magnets (eventually)
IMG_4240.jpg

IMG_4241.jpg

That's where I'm at so far, thank you everybody for following along,

scratchy

One more thread to follow... this is simply tremendous work!

Thank you for sharing!

Here's the latest in the WIP images. I've done some wrk on the superstructure
IMG_4245.jpg

IMG_4253.jpg

IMG_4254.jpg

I still have a ways to go, but I decided to take a break from it and start detailing the command tower. I did some scribing and I scratched up two rings for the shield domes. I used 1/2 tube and some .015 styrene.
IMG_4262.jpg

Here they are glued in place....

IMG_4263.jpg

On the eight foot Star Destroyer, these cavity wells aren't present.... only on the larger tower where the 32" Falcon was filmed. I thought it would be a nice little piece of "eye candy" if it was included on the build, eventually I'll have these illuminated with a strand of fiber optic with a lense at the end.
IMG_4265.jpg

I made some boxes and glued them in, eventually I'll detail the insides.
IMG_4267.jpg

Cut flush with a Razor Saw....
IMG_4273.jpg

Shown at the same perspective as viewed in the movie.
IMG_4274.jpg

Starting to detail the bottom.
IMG_4276.jpg

A demonstration of scale with my hand.
IMG_4282.jpg

Here's a little bit of detail that I was looking forward to scratch, the battleship deck that's glued to the bottom....
IMG_4283.jpg

IMG_4284.jpg

Where the build sits now.....
IMG_4285.jpg

Thanks again for following along.

scratchy

Thanks Julien. I'll be spending a fair amount of time detailing the Tower. I plugged the ESB DVD into my computer, and the clarity of the cavity wells is quite good on the one side. I gonna try and have the command bridge finished, lighted and painted by the New Year.

Looking great.

thanks for the compliment IED Bounty Hunt

Wonderful Job...!

Is this a commission ?

Rahman, thank you, as far as a commission, no, I'm building this for myself. It's something that I've always wanted since seeing the first movie in the theater, sure it's a different Star Destroyer in ANH, but given the choice, I went with the Avenger.

However, if the monetary offer reflects the amount of work that goes into a model, then I suppose that anything is for sale. In the time being, I'm not going to entertain any offers, I'm just going to concentrate on this build and take my time at it.

Thanks for following along everyone!:cheers

WOW! That's some intense scratchbuilding. That's a tremendous amount of work your putting into it. This is going to be great!

WOW! That's some intense scratchbuilding. That's a tremendous amount of work your putting into it. This is going to be great!

Thanks Scott, I appreciate the kind words.

Here's a small update, I finally finished the bottom. I also ran some fiber optic with the lenses on one end of the strand to see how the cavity wells look lit up.

IMG_4303.jpg

IMG_4305.jpg

You'll probally have a hard time seeing the details in the wells, but I scratched a girder support on the ceiling of each of the two outside wells and made a little "A" frame crane in each of them, as far as I can tell with an ESB screen cap, it looks like an "A" frame crane is supposed to be there.

IMG_4306.jpg

IMG_4307.jpg

I also detailed the inside cavity wells, with a bunch of battleship greeblies, there will be two doors glued at a 45 degree over these openings, I'll paint the wells and feed the F.O. at a later date before glueing them on.

Here's a complete view of the finished bottom.....

IMG_4334.jpg

I've started to detail the sides, I cut some 1/4 millimeter strip from a .002 piece of styrene to create the raised lines. As more pieces get layered on, I'll have to shave some of those raised lines off.

IMG_4335.jpg

IMG_4336.jpg

Once again, I'ld like to thank everyone for following along with my build.

scratchy

Most impressive!

It's very interesting to follow your build, and it's nice of you to post detailed WIP pictures!

That's awesome Jay !

I dont know if you used mine as ref for the portside because I glued the whole mobelwagen part, but it's actually cut (I did cut it later) :

IMG_4335.jpg

It's cut like that :

8ft130.jpg

I really love the bays with the led's, very cool stuff ! Your attention to replicate all the details is incredible, keep up the good work !

Actually Julien, yes, of all the reference images that I have on the tower, your's is the best visible with all the kit parts. I'm just working on the "Starboard" side,... I even have the "17" in there:lol

This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back