Looking for a Doctor Who Tom Baker fedora

drsyn71

Sr Member
I was thinking of the crushable, water repellent, wool felt Indiana Jones Fedora that Dorfman Pacific makes. They make it with a 2.5" and a 3" brim. I would go with the 3" brim. That's fairly close. Anyone seen anything out there closer? I'm looking to spend under $100 US.

Chris

Last edited:
The old Federation III Indy hat was an almost perfect match to one of his hats. Good luck finding one these days though.

I want something that looks like what he wore in his early episodes. I'm not too picky, though. I don't think I want anything that looks like the last season or so. I guess Tom's hair was thinner (as was he) and the usual hat looked really big on him so they used a smaller brimmed hat from what I've read.

Did you have a specific season or story in mind? They do vary somewhat.

You could do worse than the fedIV from hatsdirect. It's basically the Indiana Jones hat but it comes unsculpted, you have to shape it yourself, and you could get something pretty similar to the hat in Toms first season.

The reason the Fed3 is better though is because it has a taller crown height and it looks really green. I think it matches really well.

Thanks for posting my breakdown randomann - that pretty much has all of my advice encapsulated for a Fourth Doctor Costume - including the hat.

For under $100, the Indiana Jones Fed III or the Dorfman Pacific with the 3" brim are your best bets. As I wrote in the linked breakdown, Herbert Johnson made all of Baker's different hats throughout his run. They based Baker's hats on the same style as the Indiana Jones hat, so the two character's hats are indeed linked and similar (though not identical of course) and this is the closest mass market hat you'll probably find to approximate the tall, wide floppy Season 12 Baker hat.

You can try you luck on ebay of course or go with those large green safari hats I see in hat/costume shops for an even wider brim though Tom's green hat was unfinished fur.

If price is no object then www.baronhats.com is the way to go for a custom version - they made my Season 12 hat and it's beautiful. They also made a green unfinished fur Season 14 hat for a friend of mine and that's quite good as well.

Last edited:
I'm still on the search for a good fedora myself, And still coming up against my main annoyance, almost every hat I see (other than the ones that will cost me a regeneration or 3) has the folded over rim on the brim, makes me sad.
Also most hats seem to have a shorter brim in general too, obviously because their based on Indy's hats this also makes me sad ha ha!

Anyone seen this one up close? Akubra Barmah Fedora Panama Hats Indiana Jones Fedora Hats

any info will help a lot, trying to locate specific hats is making me go mad, and this one seems more affordable than some of them out there ;/

I dont know what your budget is but I am tempted by the Poet style fedora here...
http://www.bates-hats.com/store/formal/cat_4.html
http://www.bates-hats.com/store/fedoras-and-trilbys/poet/prod_42.html

Or if you want the more flamboyant look of the later years try the Bruand...
http://www.bates-hats.com/store/fedoras-and-trilbys/bruand/prod_37.html

They are not cheap, but are not the most expensive I've seen.
They also have one called the 'Indi' if you wanted something to fit two purposes...
http://www.bates-hats.com/store/outdoors/the-indi/prod_77.html

I am in London on Monday so may call in and try a few on and see what size I am. :)

I was in London today and a walk down Jermyn Street result in an impulse buy.
I now have a fedora that whilst not 100% accurate to the one worn by Tom Baker is I feel pretty close.
I did spend more than I planned (don't ask!) but it is a decent fedora and will last a long time.

I just need to spend a bit of time shaping the crown and brim to get it how I want it.

Penmanhats.com

He makes the Tom Baker style and it's amazing. The original was supposedly a Herbert Johnson possibly Poet style (similiar to Indiana Jones but different brim dimensions)

Must it be crushable? Because budget wise you can do pretty well with one of the Indy hats they sell at Disneyland for around $40 (might have gone up, but you get the ballpark idea).

MOD EDIT: Please do not post ebay links, thanks.

hi

I had this 1 made up from Northwest Hats Home Page

sent him this photo and said make it like this and this is what I got

made from beaver felt in dark brown. 5 1/2" in crown with 1 3/4 dark brown ribbon and 3" brim was $175 + shipping

I'm very happy with it soft felt and you can change the bash/shape very easily to do another look

0003qzbz.jpg1553348_716143211731322_896181627_o.jpg

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back