Is it illegal to print one sided money?

Nearly everything made here is illegal to reproduce, so does it matter.

It's only illegal if you get caught.

....and yes it is.

Big difference:

Prop making = C&Ded.

Money making: = Secret Service shows up and your popped right into jail.

Prop making: = Possible fight in court and lost of money.

Money making:= Court case, then years and years in jail…

Afterward: Prop making lost of money possible bankruptcy.

Money making: Your now a ex-con and have record and lots of things you can no longer do.

My 2 cents worth.
Rich

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol

Well, if it's just for you, I'd say .. print them up, and then smash the printer in a million pieces, dump at a land fill, trash the rest of the evidence, and keep the bill(s) in a permanently sealed acrylic display case :lol Let them prove you did it. The only downside is, if your house gets burglarized and they break them open and try to spend them and get caught, they''ll point the finger at you and admit that they burned you to get out of a federal counterfeit wrap :lol

-Chris

*EDIT* Buuuut I just noticed you said blank on one side. So I ranted for nothing :lol

Blank on one side can still be passed and still get you in trouble.

Rich

:lol

Well, if it's just for you, I'd say .. print them up, and then smash the printer in a million pieces, dump at a land fill, trash the rest of the evidence, and keep the bill(s) in a permanently sealed acrylic display case :lol Let them prove you did it. The only downside is, if your house gets burglarized and they break them open and try to spend them and get caught, they''ll point the finger at you and admit that they burned you to get out of a federal counterfeit wrap :lol

-Chris

*EDIT* Buuuut I just noticed you said blank on one side. So I ranted for nothing :lol

I thought most inkjet printers nowadays will not even let you reproduce US currency??:confused

....and yes it is illegal, one sided or two.

I thought most inkjet printers nowadays will not even let you reproduce US currency??:confused

....and yes it is illegal, one sided or two.

I've printed several bills, $100 for my National Treasure display, 2015 future $50 bill for BTTF display and my Howard the Duck $1 bill. Mine works fine. My printer is a Epson 1280 large format printer from 2007. Not sure about NEW printers.

Brad

I got a 100 dollar bill used in Licence to Kill.
It says,

"This note is not valid. it is for use in motion pictures only and is non negotiable.
Its use for any other pupose will be in violation of the law"

Besides, if you try to scan money with a scanner (most of the scanners) will recognize money bills and will give you a warning that what you are doing is illegal.

Last edited:
Very illegal.

One of my friends is a retired Senior Special Agent, The United States Secret Service, and they take these things VERY seriously.

Very illegal.

One of my friends is a retired Senior Special Agent, The United States Secret Service, and they take these things VERY seriously.

Don't send him over to my house ;)

070322money.jpg

So what do you guys think about it being one sided and me using photoshop to change the little message to say that its not legal tender, and make other subtle changes?

If it looks like the money in Idiocracy, you're safe.

"Haulin' Ass Gettin' Paid" :lol:lol:lol

Printers for years have been adding tiny marks to each and every one of your prints, be it a photo or just some text, to link it back to the printer. So I would definitely not do it just in case they end up in the wrong hands. It wouldn't take much to prove that you did it.

On the other hand, you can print non negotiable on it and it can be written off as play money. If it has non negotiable on it, only an idiot would accept it. That's what movie studios do.

Dave

So what do you guys think about it being one sided and me using photoshop to change the little message to say that its not legal tender, and make other subtle changes?

I'd say that would work just fine. :) Just don't try to spend 'em and you should be just fine! :lol

The range is supposed to be either 75% or 150% real currency. We made a fistful of bills for our fan film, it was a PAIN to get past the anti-counterfitting program in the printer, even though we had the Doctor and a TARDIS on the money.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back