duratite surfacing putty?

darth_myeek

Sr Member
I am reading "Famous Spaceships of Fact and Fantasy" (1979) and it mentions Duratite Surfacing Putty. Is that a product from Bondall?

url

Anyone familiar with its properties for sculpting on styrene kits?

Thanks,
-DM

If this does not work for you, try Apoxie sculpt from Aves studios.

Cool thanks 8perf! I'll have to check Apoxie Sculpt out. I am interested in making a glassless canopy (odd sounding yes), and shaping a nose cone. Is Apoxie sculpt light weight?

Thanks,
-DM

Aves is like Magic Sculpt.
2 part epoxy putty can be smoothed with water, starts to harden in 15 to 20 minutes.
for small quantities you can find sticks of plumbers putty at the hardware store.
It comes in a tube and us usually grey with a purple center.
just cut off a piece and mix together.

Unless you get the stuff with steel in it, it should be easy to sand and carve.
DON'T get the Marine version, it's rubbery and won't stick to styrene.

D6

Cool thanks 8perf! I'll have to check Apoxie Sculpt out. I am interested in making a glassless canopy (odd sounding yes), and shaping a nose cone. Is Apoxie sculpt light weight?

Thanks,
-DM

The weight depends on how much you need, It's a two part modeling clay so it
can get heavy fast.It does take 24hrs to dry with about a 45 min working time, they (Aves) may have a quicker set up time product. It will be like marble once set up, you can drill, tap, sand, paint, and glue on it's surface. Before it sets up you can blend it with water for smooth applications like filling seams or creating compound curves.It has zero shrinkage and works great for vacuum forming deals with 350 deg with zero issues.

You can see it in these pictures of my cloud car build, it's non toxic I just had the gloves on because i was working with a lot of water during shaping
the clay into the cross sections.:lol
MVC-024S.jpg

MVC-059S.jpg

MVC-060S.jpg

MVC-672S.jpg

Thanks D6 & 3d for the tips, and 3d the pics are a big help! :)

I like what I am reading about both of the suggestions. Water surfaceable is a major surprise, and it's good to know I have options like 15 or 45 mins of working time. Love how the 45 minute is dimensionally stable. I'll add them both to the cart.

Take care,
-DM

DM seeing that you are in Nor Cal, Tap Plastics carries Magic Sculpt.

NHM can't help you since you are in Europe otherwise Purple Power can be found at automotive parts stores and Future at the grocery store.

D6

Any place that has epoxy sculpt cheap, as well as future floor wax and Castrol Super Clean (also marketed as Purple Power)?

Paraphrased from some info I saved a while ago:

Future may be labeled as Johnson’s “Sols Plus” or "Vloer Plus" in Belgium and the Netherlands, and apparently there's an equivalent product in Germany called "Erdal Glänzer" or "Aldi Stodil".

I couldn't find out about anything specifically marketed for Denmark, but I think I managed to hit most of your southern neighbors. :lol

It does look like Castrol products are available in and around Europe, so you should indeed be able to find Purple Power/Super Clean or a similar product at an auto store.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back