Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer

This is fun to watch! What are you going to do with it when it's done? Do you have a spot picked out in your house or are you going to rent a hangar?

I don't think I would ever have the patience or skill to even consider attempting anything of this magnitude.

And, just curious, but what do you plan to do with whatever's left of your donor kits when you're done? There's probably quite a few parts still in them for people doing original designs.

you need a paypal link so we can donate money for the build expense..lol you should be video taping all of this progress so you can make a documentary of it

Hey Lee, the paypal idea is something I may consider ! J/K :lol
As for the video, I couldnt imagine the amount of rushes for this model ! Too be honest, editing is my job so I dont want to do it at home, I prefer spend my time building models ! :)

Julien,

I'd just like to say that, it is an honor and a privelige to have been able to help you with even just a few parts for this stunning build. I consider myself lucky to have even been witness to the construction of this model through the RPF and regard it as THE build on the boards. If you post a new update, I'm there mate, first ahead of all others and can't wait to see what area youv'e created.
If there is any way I can help it's a done deal, donor parts or whatever J.

I guess at the end of the day Julien, you are building this alone, construction wise, but you sure have made alot of people happy to see this taking shape and we all look forward to the day when it is finished, but hey I think the ride to completion is far more rewarding to us than you can ever imagine J.

Love the new updates mate, I just stare in awe for ages and think man, I really need to get back down to the workshop lol!.
Cheers
Stu:lol

Thank you very much Stu !
Those were just a few parts but the vintage Shinano hull is used everywhere on the model, and without your help guys, it wouldnt have been possible to find all the Shinano kits I needed.

Sure you could help me !! You could build the metal armature, cut the wooden ribs and making the metal stand, and maybe cut the skin of the hull ? Postage wouldnt be a problem from New Zealand ? :lol Hopefuly I'll get some help from a friend, because I dont have the skills to weld metal. Speacking of the hull, I have a plan to save some weight and get it more rigid.
I'm planning to make a first layer of 3mm thick forex (gonna drill holes to reduce weight) and I gonna glue a skin of 1 mm plexi on it. This way it will be lighter, more rigid than a 4mm plexi plate, but it will have the hard outer surface of the plexi.

It will cost a bit more, but I dont want to end up with a 150Kg model. If I cant get it under 100Kg it would be great... Im not sure if it's possible though.

I don't think I would ever have the patience or skill to even consider attempting anything of this magnitude.

And, just curious, but what do you plan to do with whatever's left of your donor kits when you're done? There's probably quite a few parts still in them for people doing original designs.

Thank you Ceric.
Hummm what to do with the left over parts ? I could build a Slave One, AT-AT, 32" Falcon, Snowspeeder, probe droid, med frigate... all the models they built with the left parts from the donor they used on the ISD ! :) I dont know yet what will be my next project, I would love the Neb B but I'll have no room so probably a small model like the 32" Falcon or Snowspeeder.
That's true that sometimes I used just a part from a kit, but for most of the kits, I used between 50 and 80% of the parts...

Ok that's not a vid, but it will follow the detailling of the non hero side step by step. The hero side is not very hard to ID, but some parts are hard to figure out, even if they come from the usual "ILM kits".

8ft266.jpg

8ft267.jpg

8ft268.jpg

8ft269.jpg

8ft270.jpg

8ft271.jpg

8ft272.jpg

8ft273.jpg

Hey, nice job with the step-by-step pics Julien! Very interesting to see how you accomplish the end results, in the different stages of construction :thumbsup

May I ask what you are using to create the box-like structures on the non-hero side? It looks like cardboard but I'm assuming it's something more robust like plexiglass?

Where will the support go, on the side of the ship? I realise that the bottom support will go where the front docking bay is located, but I don't know where the side support goes.
Whenever you build the inner frame, please make sure to use a strong material where the supports for the ship are located.
It would bring tears to many, many peoples' eyes if the finished ship were to fall, as in a recreation of the SSD Executor's fate in Return of the Jedi ! :cry

Keep up the good work, mate!

Cheers,
John

Hey John, thank you !

I'm not sure what you're meaning but the superstructures are made of plexi and the shelves are made of styrene.

The side mounts are in fact hidden by the gun platforms which act as a mount cover.

Here's the pic where you can see the Star Destroyer mounted from portside :

Sans_titre-11_2.jpg

(you can notice that the pipe mount go through the whole model and the tip of it can be seen on the opposite side)

I will get the help of a friend who works in the FX industry, he has built several huge filming miniatures so it would be strong ! That's a chance because I have no skill to work on large metal frame... :)

It was the actual body of the superstructures I was referring to, and now that you've said "Plexi" it makes a lot of sense to me. :)

The side mounts are in fact hidden by the gun platforms which act as a mount cover.

Here's the pic where you can see the Star Destroyer mounted from portside :

Sans_titre-11_2.jpg

Aaahhhhh... very cool indeed. I've never seen this pic before - thanks for posting it, and the explanation behind the 'hidden' side mount. Very clever of ILM to do this :thumbsup

Cheers,
John

My God...this is the most beautiful thing I have ever seen Star Wars-wise. This has got to be on Lucasfilm's radar. :)

Thanks MrSinistar :)

Guys, I'm looking for some help.

I would like to get this panels made from plexi (shaded in red) :

isdlowbuildings.jpg

As you know, they are chanfreined, I dont have the stuff to do that properly. The biggest parts would be about 20 cm long, I havent determinated the thickness yet, but it's 4 or 5 mm.
Please contact me if you could help, with your email addy, and I'll send you the files so you can get me a quote for those parts.

Thanks in advance ! :thumbsup

Thank you guys :)

I've been working hard on the destroyer the last few days trying to find the last bits. I found several (some of them were an unexpected find ! Thanks to the left over of the parts I cut for the Falcon :)).

But I couldnt wait anymore, I had to spray a coat of primer before to continue to add the last parts, scribe the lines and add the styrene chips. I need this primer coat to check where I have to putty/sand (mainly where the styrene shelves meet the plexi frame).

Some of the last few bits added :

8ft274.jpg

8ft275.jpg

I detailed the last rear panel :

8ft276.jpg

Some more details :

8ft277.jpg

The model was covered with heavy dust, it was a ***** to clean due to the size...

Sorry, there are a lot of pics...

8ft278.jpg

8ft279.jpg

8ft280.jpg

8ft281.jpg

8ft282.jpg

8ft283.jpg

8ft284.jpg

8ft285.jpg

8ft286.jpg

8ft287.jpg

8ft288.jpg

8ft289.jpg

8ft290.jpg

8ft291.jpg

8ft292.jpg

8ft293.jpg

That's better that was I expected. There will be a very limited puttying/sanding job...

Thank you for your support guys !

Last edited:

Sorry there are a lot of pics?!!!? I LOVE EVERY ONE OF THEM!

OH MY GAWD this is so cool I can barely stand it...It's just so FREAKIN COOL! AHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!
:eek:thumbsup:devil:thumbsup :eek

Re: Building the 8' Star Destroyer (portside primered, lots of pics)

Absolutly stunning! I'm impressed how fast you're building this, you'll be done in no time at all. So what's next, the hull - I would imagine.

Looking forward to the updates Tox. Keep up the superb work.

I love how clean your work is, J.

It's so... crisp!!

Wow Julien. You are da' man. It doesn't get much better than this. Brilliant work.

Incredible. All the pics are amazing, but the light in that last one makes the neck and bridge look about half a mile tall....

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back