Building the 8' Star Destroyer (superstructures done)

Re: Building the 8 Footer Star Destroyer Bridge and Neck

Thanks Tox for the input. Hope to hit you up in the future. Great work & its nice to have the input from all these funny guys. I wouldn't paint it, its beautiful. Ive mad a kit list thanks to your & the crews work & am going to get all these kits. Thanks for your dedication & that of all the other contributors. Just take the roof off & crane it out.Put in a sun roof!. If you ever decide to go the whole hog:lol

Gonna pop a Falcon on the backside of that puppy?

Yes that's a good idea, I could put a magnet inside the bridge to hold the falcon and I still can remove it ! Thanks for the idea :)

Very welcome Omes, too bad this place is no more like it was before with a lot of contributors ! Fortunatly there are still a few guys who love ID and share stuff, thanks to all of them !

Some new pics :

8ft24.jpg

8ft25.jpg

8ft26.jpg

All the parts under the white strip are not glued, Im waiting for the Hood kit. Only one part is really bugging me (unfortunatly it is used 2 times on the facia and one time on the port side, and that's not a small part...).

The bad (and good) thing is that I found the Marder skirt that I lost a while back (which goes on the top of the bridge). It was in one of my Shinano box... I bought another Marder for nothing since it's not a great donor...

I should receive my crystal finials very soon, hopefuly they are the right size with the right pattern !

OOhhhh, loookin great Julien, not long to go now dude lol!. Placement of parts looks spot on and man it's soooo awesome to see the parts naked!.
The bridge and neck alone of this beast is a major parts store depleter I think J, let alone the rest of it, may as well go to tamiya direct and buy sprues by the hundreds lol.
Keep up the great work Julien, you're just a machine pumping these things out!.

Stu

First, yes, exactly like that !

Next up, two Qs:

Haven't heard mention of wanting to light this, but I'm curious if you're going to and maybe more importantly, are you going to build out any level of the decks around the base of the neck? I think you could build out (as seen in the image of just the neck, head and decks) but it could really complicate 'everything'... no need for you to go that far, have to admit that it's from a desire to see it taken to taht extreme (but possibly quite unrealistic on even an ambitious budget and time frame)

Best of luck, on with you!

Great work Julien. I've always wanted to tackle a big SD. Really interesting to see the kit parts breakdown sans paint!

The Force is definitely strong with you! :)

Thanks for your comments guys !

The back of the bridge is really tricky because I dont know if those are edges of plating creating shadows, scribbed lines or penciled lines on some areas :s Since I dont have the real deal in the hands and I dont have good pics of it, I will do what I think they did !

Clerval, yes I will put FO on the bridge, it will have exactly the same numbers of "windows" than the original (that's easy enough most of them go through holes which are already molded on the kitparts ! :p). And yes I plan to do the decks (perhaps more than the deck :p), plans are already drawn ! I need to collect a ton of parts but I think I will cast most of them, I just cant buy 200 kits (probably more :wacko) or so just for the deck !

Anyway thanks for your interest guys !

I dont have the real deal in the hands and I dont have good pics of it, I will do what I think they did !

I'm one of many that have pics of the old Magic of Myth tour. My pics aren't great. but I can check to see what I have for you.

I'm one of many that have pics of the old Magic of Myth tour. My pics aren't great. but I can check to see what I have for you.

Thanks Rob, any new pics are always a great help !

OK so I stop what Im doing, I dont want to do mistakes ! :p

Hey guys, today I received my HMS Hood so I was able to glue most of the parts ! The Hood deck was really hard to cut (the plastic of my copy is very hard !).

I also did the plating on the lower facia. It was quite hard because ILM add it after they glued all the parts, this means that you have to do cutouts on the styrene plates where the parts are. I noticed that the details on the right and on the left of the hood parts were not exactly at the same height on the ILM model. That's why they added a plate on the portside which creates a kind of step when you watch it. The leading edge of this plate not follow the lower facia angle, it's not parallel. That's quite weird, isnt it ? Well I did my best to recreate that (unfortunatly my parts were not misaligned like on the studio model so I add to move them quite a bit :p).

Ok now here some pics with and without flash (those last ones are a bit blurry, sorry...)

8ft33.jpg

8ft34.jpg

8ft35.jpg

8ft36.jpg

Unfortunatly I noticed that my lang part is glued 0.5-1mm to low so it means all the parts under it are also 0.5-1mm too low. Well I can live with that...

I received my 2" finials. Unfortunatly 2" was the overall heignt, not the diameter of the finials :angry. I ordered this time 2" diameter finials (I asked before :p), Im waiting for them ! Hopefully those ones will work...

Thanks Dave, it's incredible to get it in my hands, that's just awesome what ILM did ! I cant wait to spray a coat of primer... :love

It really is amazing to see this piece being done Julien and boy are you doing a fantastic job, it's incredible how accurate you've got it!.

I'd love to get a feeling of the scale, could you snap a photo with a Coke can sitting next to it or something ?

Unfortunatly I noticed that my lang part is glued 0.5-1mm to low so it means all the parts under it are also 0.5-1mm too low. Well I can live with that...

And good lord, we can TOTALLY tell that is off! ;)

I'm joking, of course...! :)

Thanks guys !

Lol Dave, I dont have any coke cans but I found something else ! :p Thanks for the offer though :lol

8ft37.jpg

(sorry for the glare, it's very sunny here)

Rob, yes it's not very noticiable but you can see it when you're trying to put in place this last ***** part ! :lol

Ive started the front plate of the neck :

8ft38.jpg

Thanks for your support guys !

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back