Superhero capes?

Bizarro Lois

Sr Member
These have always seemed fairly easy, but I want to make sure mine lays right. Some of the ones I've seen are actually segments, cut and sewn to lay over the shoulders a specific way. Are there patterns/templates anywhere that I could use to make sure I get the shapes and measurements right? What kind of fabric works best? I want something fairly light, but that will hang and drape nicely.

basically make a circle with a wedge cut out of it. If you want full wrap over the shoulder like bat cape, leave 1/8 of the circle out, if you want it behind the shoulders, a half circle will do. Length depends on your height.

These have always seemed fairly easy, but I want to make sure mine lays right. Some of the ones I've seen are actually segments, cut and sewn to lay over the shoulders a specific way. Are there patterns/templates anywhere that I could use to make sure I get the shapes and measurements right? What kind of fabric works best? I want something fairly light, but that will hang and drape nicely.

might want to check out the scf (super hero costuming board on yaku)

http://www.thesuperherocostumingforum.yuku.com/

Hero capes ( really good ones) take a bit of work. It will make the difference between ok and really amazing.

The shape depends on how much you want to cover in the front. darthchiro's explanation will get you something akin to a batman cape or as he said a half circle would work. also, if you take another half circle cut out for the neckline, ans a bit to what will be the sides, you can have some excess to add the pleats seen in a superman style cape. for measurement start at the base of your neck and figure out how close you want it to be to the floor. this will be the radius of your circle. i suggest an arms length at minimum.
as far as material..a gabardine works well.

Funny enough. I was thinking of doing a build that involved a cape and was pleased to find this as I was scrolling through. Cheers HeyMcFly88.

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back