Airbrush Paint Vs spray paint

tubachris85x

Master Member
Im at the point now where I am wanting to consider learning how to airbrush, due mainly in part, that spray paints have sorta turned me off from wanting to even work with a prop (getting bad results, frustrated with it not working out)

I've been wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how airbrushing is compared to spray paints? Granted, it takes alot of practice and experience to airbrush something fairly decently.

Some questions about the actual paint and application (assuming you have exstensive practice and knowledge for "proper" application)

-How well does airbrush paint adhere to surfaces?

-Does airbrush paint produce a smoother and more even/level finish?

-How durable can one say typical or standard airbrush paint is in comparison to spray paint?

-In the end, provided there are no restrictions, would you prefer to use a spray paint or airbrush?

Thanks!

-TC

Airbrush for anything other than base coat, honestly. I am crappy with one but have access to a more skilled individual when needed. You can't possibly get the detail and accuracy of an airbrush from a rattle can.

Im at the point now where I am wanting to consider learning how to airbrush, due mainly in part, that spray paints have sorta turned me off from wanting to even work with a prop (getting bad results, frustrated with it not working out)

I've been wondering what everyone's thoughts are on how airbrushing is compared to spray paints? Granted, it takes alot of practice and experience to airbrush something fairly decently.

Some questions about the actual paint and application (assuming you have exstensive practice and knowledge for "proper" application)

-How well does airbrush paint adhere to surfaces?

-Does airbrush paint produce a smoother and more even/level finish?

-How durable can one say typical or standard airbrush paint is in comparison to spray paint?

-In the end, provided there are no restrictions, would you prefer to use a spray paint or airbrush?

Thanks!

-TC

-Like any other paint, it's all in the surface preparation. If you want the paint to stick, you have to make sure the surface is free of oils and other contaminants.

-Spray cans tend to be more durable, but it's a relative term. Airbrush paints (Tamiya, testors, vellejo, etc) are durable as well, as long as you're not throwing the item down the stairs.

-Airbrush everytime, unless I'm doing one large area in a single color.

-Fred

Airbrush paints I've been using have been acrylic based, which stick fine to most things and are pretty durable (to an extent of course). It won't cover large areas very well, much better at adding subtle details or doing something fiddly, but the effect is very uniform and blends nicely depending on the quality of your equipment.

Of course a blockage in the nozzle will always cause splodges and other headaches, so if you do go that route, *always* keep your nozzles clean and clear.

One thing to consider, is the size of the piece your painting. A large piece of armor, or a helmet, would be a pain with a std nozzle brush, hence a wide nozzle, or spray gun would benefit you, i use a Tamiya HG wide trigger for anything large and studio scale.

Rattle cans, i get great results, but its all in the prep and application too, and the type of can, i use one brand alone, and trust no others lol.

As for durability, again depends on what you intend to use the piece as, display, or maybe costuming, where a clear gloss/matt coat could benefit to toughen things up some?

lee

I use my airbrush to paint everything, even the coats of primer. You can use the paint from rattle cans in it with no problem, sometimes you have to thin it down a bit with thinner. For larger areas you can switch to a thicker/more blunt needle needle.

invest in a good compressor when you go airbrush, the aircans are crap and empty before you know it.

Hmm..well, the piece that I need painted is a larger area.

Forgive my lack of knowledge of termanology, but Im wanting to get it applied in the same manner as automotive custom shops do? Just cheaper? That kind of larger applicator.

LeMarchand, are you suggesting that you can use rattle cans with airbrush applicators?

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back