Museum Replicas SW costumes

While I did see the full Obi-Wan ensemble being worn at NY ComicCon last year, it looked pretty decent, though the color scheme looked off. I figured I would see for myself and ordered the boots. WOW! Talk about quality control issues. The boots weren't even close to the same color they are in the photos on the website. One boot was made of good quality tooling leather. The other? The leather used was pitted and scarred, not to mention scratched up with rubber marks (likely from the rubber heels scuffing the sides.) The hidden speed laces were not sturdy and the hooks spun out of place making it hard to lace. Plus the worst of it was that the legs were cut so wide that I didn't even have to unlace the boot in the first place to get it on or off. They looked ridiculous.

Even with a 10% discount I paid $334.95 for them including shipping. Thankfully they have a really great return policy because they're going straight back to the company and I'm getting a full refund.

My advice, steer clear of the MRL Star Wars costumes. Too expensive for sub-par quality and nowhere near accurate.

For a company to win the contract with Lucasfilm, and to have access to the original archive pieces, you'd think they would have done a far better job. What a shame. I'll bet they're not selling as many of these as they'd hoped and thus the reason why they didn't go further into production on the other pieces in the Star Wars line.

MRL is not a bad company, and they do have some great pieces, just not these ones unfortunately.

EDIT: I just read (and checked on their website to confirm) that MRL is no longer offering the Star Wars line of costumes.

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I always like the the look the MR Luke costume. especially after seeing the images the EBay seller, who is selling left overs, has up on his listing.

s-l1600.jpg

I bit the bullet and bought it. I was originally going to buy the costume from Magnoli but the price for the MR is really sexy compare to Magnoli.

So I came across this thread and somewhat got my excitment for it to arrive some what crushed. This thread is full of nothing but bashing. No one was actually making unbiased truthfully unblinded opinions of their stuff. What everyone was saying was Its not fan made so its crap. Of course fan made will always be nicer but more expensive.

But at the price point I think this MR Luke costume achieves the look really well especially after buying the kimono set for the costume from a fan source(in the USA) that turned out not soo good. This costume is actaully an upgrade for me.

So I received the costume and this is coming from a serious Star Wars costumer. I am satisfied with it for the most part.

If they had access to the original costume it does show. All of the details are there for the costume. And I mean everything is there down to the off white trim on the inside of the pants. The inside of the pants can be seen in the Star Wars costume book.

The Kimono and the pants are made in a heavy thick cotton. I was shocked at how thick and heavy the pants are. They are soo nice they can be mistaken for a nice pair of tailored suit pants at a formal wear store. The Kimono has amazing feel and the pattern is all there and looks the part despite it not being made in the raw silk.

The weakest part is the shirt. While the patter and details are correct it is not made in cotton but a lighter polyester. It looks nice but I dont know why they did not use the same material for the shirt as they did with the pants.

I give the costume a 7/10. It is very well made. The tags say it is hand made and that does show with the stitching in places is not 100% straight.

And that is my honest review of one of their costumes. I tend to support licensed costume companies that are not Rubies because well they are not Rubies. Any company with the licenses that makes an effort or some sort of attempt to replicate the original costumes is a winner in my book. While some are a hit and some are a miss from these companies they are still not rubies.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back