Museum Replicas SW costumes

I think the BIGGEST issue with MRL stuff is their lame sizing. The S/M or L/XL thing sucks balls. I'm a smaller guy: 5'10" 170 lbs and their S/M stuff always fits way huge in the body and then the arms are too short. I've had this happen with their LOTR stuff and their Kigndom of Heaven stuff. It was one of the first questions I asked when I talked to them. They said they'd have an array of sizes. Some of the stuff that's listed has the normal range of S, M, L, or XL but some don't. Namely jedi tunics. Now they probably did this thining ti woudl save money in manufacturing since everyone always assumes Jedi tunics don't need to be fitted. They don't if you wanna look like a slob. but if you want that fitted hero look like the movies they need to be the right size.

Also short Jedi tunic sleeves make you look like you shrank your tunics in the wash. Tons of people measure and cut their tunic sleeves to their wrist. Which makes them look short when filled with your arm mass. They need to be measured more to your first knuckle to look like the movies.

So I would say fitment will be a big issue with these. It would suck to pay $1500 for a full Obi-Wan costume that you expect to make you look like Ewan MacGregor out fo the box only to find you need to take it to a tailor to get it adjsted so you don't look like an idiot.

I made this post on Rebel Scum in response to the prototypes shown at SDCC. I realize that they are a collectors forum and not really knowledgeable when it comes to props/costumes, but as unpopular as it was, I had to add my .02.

I look around these collector boards and I see them filled filled to the brim with those with such low expectations, that they will shell out big money for anything with an official SW seal on it.
What is wrong with you people. Please wake up.

Just because a company makes something better than it's predecessor doesn't mean they hit a bullseye. That should not be the standard that their success is measured by.
From where I stand, they have failed miserably and squandered an immense amount of potential.

I constantly hear you guys say, well it's close enough for me, or I don't need it to be 100% screen accurate to be satisfied.
I just don't understand. Don't you want the most for your money?
It doesn't always have to cost more to be more accurate.
All of these pieces cost enough that there is no excuse for not being WAY closer to the mark.

Last I checked, the marketing campaign for MR is ALL ABOUT promising identical replicas of the screen used pieces. I don't know how they can say that with a straight face. Maybe it is because they count on no one either checking it out for themselves, or just not caring. Both of which I've found seems to be the case, but it shouldn't be.

All this access to the archives makes no difference if the pieces you churn out turn out worse than what the average fan can do with extremely limited resources (less money, less access). It is a crying shame.
And don't give me that, "we have to make it affordable, or LFL made us make it less accurate" because that is all BS. It doesn't cost any more to make sure the patterns are cut to the correct shape. And despite the myth, LFL has never stood in the way of a more accurate product.

Just as an example, I made a quick comparison using the Luke ROTJ costume. Do these look like screen accurate reproductions to you?
The cut of the patterns are not the same, nor are the fabrics, nor are the colors. I don't know how you measure 'accurate' but those aspects tend to matter to me.

And if you think that the production pieces are going to turn out better than these prototypes, then you are in for a major disappointment. MR is known for their production pieces to turn out nowhere near as good as their prototypes. And these prototypes aren't very good to begin with.
From what I understand, every fabric, part, material, etc.. is sourced in India, and produced in India. Why, because it is cheap to do so.
The quality is sacrificed, but it doesn't have to be.

mrvsoriginal1.jpg

mrvsoriginal2.jpg

I made this post on Rebel Scum in response to the prototypes shown at SDCC. I realize that they are a collectors forum and not really knowledgeable when it comes to props/costumes, but as unpopular as it was, I had to add my .02.

I look around these collector boards and I see them filled filled to the brim with those with such low expectations, that they will shell out big money for anything with an official SW seal on it.
What is wrong with you people. Please wake up.

Just because a company makes something better than it's predecessor doesn't mean they hit a bullseye. That should not be the standard that their success is measured by.
From where I stand, they have failed miserably and squandered an immense amount of potential.

I constantly hear you guys say, well it's close enough for me, or I don't need it to be 100% screen accurate to be satisfied.
I just don't understand. Don't you want the most for your money?
It doesn't always have to cost more to be more accurate.
All of these pieces cost enough that there is no excuse for not being WAY closer to the mark.

Last I checked, the marketing campaign for MR is ALL ABOUT promising identical replicas of the screen used pieces. I don't know how they can say that with a straight face. Maybe it is because they count on no one either checking it out for themselves, or just not caring. Both of which I've found seems to be the case, but it shouldn't be.

All this access to the archives makes no difference if the pieces you churn out turn out worse than what the average fan can do with extremely limited resources (less money, less access). It is a crying shame.
And don't give me that, "we have to make it affordable, or LFL made us make it less accurate" because that is all BS. It doesn't cost any more to make sure the patterns are cut to the correct shape. And despite the myth, LFL has never stood in the way of a more accurate product.

Just as an example, I made a quick comparison using the Luke ROTJ costume. Do these look like screen accurate reproductions to you?
The cut of the patterns are not the same, nor are the fabrics, nor are the colors. I don't know how you measure 'accurate' but those aspects tend to matter to me.

And if you think that the production pieces are going to turn out better than these prototypes, then you are in for a major disappointment. MR is known for their production pieces to turn out nowhere near as good as their prototypes. And these prototypes aren't very good to begin with.
From what I understand, every fabric, part, material, etc.. is sourced in India, and produced in India. Why, because it is cheap to do so.
The quality is sacrificed, but it doesn't have to be.

mrvsoriginal1.jpg

mrvsoriginal2.jpg

Not everybody over there is, "not really knowledgeable when it comes to props/costumes". The problem is some are involved directly with MR and can't see the light.

These are licensed costumes of the highest quality yet, the only issue here is that they are being offered as exact replicas with descriptions that exclaim how they painstakingly researched the original and sourced the fabrics and reproduced the intricate details, etc.

These costumes are too cheap for an accurate replica... and too expensive for how off they are.

Any guesses to the target consumer?
1.) Frat boys trying to "look" creative?
2.) 10th anniversary spice? :love
3.) Costume dinner parties where maybe the $3k costume might get trashed?

-DM

packingcomparecopy.jpg

For those who do not know Padme stuff well(inspired by my Luke friend.) You can see the differences starting with the quality of the materials used as well as the embroidery on MR being wrong and the collar is incorrect as well. And I found out from MR website that this Padme ensemble includes shoes but no hairpiece/wig :eek Padme's intricate hairstyles(and in this case, hair jewelry) are an essential part of the costume that is missing.

Awesome comparison. :thumbsup
I think the more people see them directly compared side by side to the real deal, the more they will be able to see just how off they are.

Such a wasted opportunity. The potential for this company to produce very nearly screen accurate pieces has completely been squandered.

Can't wait to see their trooper armor. :sick

I've seen a lot of god awful Jedi and Padmes out there who wanted a costume very badly but don't have the skill or thousands of dollars to put into buying it already made by a professional. I'd rather see those people wearing one of these any day over many of the truely horrible homemade versions out there.

And I found out from MR website that this Padme ensemble includes shoes but no hairpiece/wig :eek Padme's intricate hairstyles(and in this case, hair jewelry) are an essential part of the costume that is missing.

The lack of headpiece was already discussed in a previous post in this thread. The MR guy at the Comic Con booth explained that the prototype was in a progress right now. How it'll turn out though, who knows. But they are going to offer it. That's the jewelry only. No wig.

I saw their costume last year, most of them look great and expensive too, Their costume never is going to be 100% indentical. It will not.
first the fabric, most of the fabric do not exist, they Have to create them artificial fabric, as movie screen as possible. just making that cost a lot money. If they find the original fabric it won't be cheap neither.
They told me the costume of the trooper are going to be made of rubber.
Let see how look.

I'm sorry but the fabric choices are god awful. Nothing that I've seen so far is the same weight or color or texture as the originals. Not even close. The original Luke ceremony jacket was the same make as the Greedo jacket. It had a sheen to it. The fabric was sorta plastic-y for lack of a better word because it was part of a racing suit. The jacket these folks are offering looks like it's doing a bad impression. I could go on but you get the point. In the Padme example above, note how the skirt drapes. Again, just god awful. It just looks like they chose the cheapest fabrics they could find that were in the ballpark. Wait, not IN the ballpark. Maybe in the parking lot.

So the question is, would you pay over a thousand for a completely accurized fabric suit ? As some of you pointed out, the materials and getting them exact can be cost prohibitory (as I am finding out real quick with the Trek project).

There is no excuse under the sun, for not getting the shape (pattern pieces) correct.
ESPECIALLY if you have such 'unprecedented' access to the originals.

It does not cost .01c more.

I haven't even seen them. I think efx might be producing them though.
I don't understand why they are being called stunt sabers though as it is kind of confusing.
It's not like they are going to be accurate reproductions of the screen used stunt sabers.

Better to call them something like 'accessory saber'.
I'm sure they will be low end just so that someone interested in a full costume can complete the ensemble, affordably (but of course sacrificing accuracy).

iycis, I was talking about the fact that here on their website: http://www.museumreplicas.com/t-sizepadmeclonegown.aspx , it mentions nothing about hair jewelry. Not to mention, when I spoke to their reps last DragonCon, they were not sure which hairpiece they would recreate as there were 3 different hairpieces for this costume: a full wig, a partial wig and just the buns but they did say they were doing a hairpiece.

Maulfett, by their own description on their website: "Nothing was spared in the months needed to source material, perfect cut-patterns, painstakingly custom dye and reproduce the intricate detail on what on the surface is a simple outfit compared to some of her other dresses. Every layer worn on screen inside and out is replicated and includes the silk inner skirt, silk outer skirt, hand made leather pumps with the custom Coruscant curve in the 2" heel, the silk & cotton blouse with hand made, real metal armbands and stones inset and finally the genuine velvet vest with intricate, custom beadwork and embroidery." And if that is silk, well I can't tell b/c the quality to me looks very poor.

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back