Small Soldiers - Chip Hazard and Archer

Howlrunner

Sr Member
Small Soldiers is one of my favourite films - sure it did badly at the box office, but Stan Winston's effects work is top notch! :thumbsup

I'd LOVE to get my hands on some original props (or even the FOA Schwartz/Stan Winston produced figures - though with only 25 made even they are commanding BIG money if they ever come up), but sadly my budget won't allow it, so the next best thing is the Hasbro toys.....

The only ones Hasbro produced that are the correct size are Archer and Chip (a pity, because the other Gorgonite figures they produced are excellent, just too darn small) - available as both talking and non-talking. It's obvious that hasbro worked VERY closely with SWS as the sculpts are really very good.

Hasbro's 12" figures:

281205883_o1.jpg

Talking Chip Hazard

262825212_o.jpg

Non-Talking Archer

The sculpts are good, but the paintwork is sucky and the colours aren't accurate, so.... using every reference I could find ("The Stan Winston Effect", "Cinefex" and "The Small Soldiers Scrapbook: Behind the Scenes" and the DVD) I repainted them both.

Partially repainted Chip Hazard (excuse the picture quality, this current camera is pretty cheap...):

ChipHazard1.jpg
ChipHazard2.jpg
ChipHazard3.jpg

Painted: Eyes, lips, dog-tags, comlink, grenade, belt, pouches, gun, leg holsters, boot treads, shin guards.

Completely repainted Archer from head to foot (and added new belt buckle from the talking version of the figure)

Archer1.jpg
Archer2.jpg

Archer3.jpg

SmallSoldiers1.jpg

Now I just need someone to sculpt the rest of the Gorgonites and Commando Elite in the correct scale...... I really want a Brick Bazooka!

Love the toys from this film(y)thumbsup:thumbsup Great Job on the repaint:)
On a side note, wasn't this Phil Hartman's last film? I sure do miss him:cry

Didn't Stan Winston make super limited edition figures way back when the movie first came out? I think I read about them in the Stan Winston book, looked like they were made from the original molds. Great re-paints by the way, never realized how great the toy sculpts were. :cool

Didn't Stan Winston make super limited edition figures way back when the movie first came out? I think I read about them in the Stan Winston book, looked like they were made from the original molds. Great re-paints by the way, never realized how great the toy sculpts were. :cool

Yes he did - they were made from the original molds and put together and painted by the original artists - but only 25 were ever made. And as such, they go for about $2000-$3000 (see the auction link GBFan57 posted).

As far as the publicly available toys go, these two I've repainted are the best. The non-talking Chip Hazard has cloth clothes so is no good, and the talking Archer has a HUGE medallion on his chest (and the sculpt work isn't as nice).

Aside from repaints of the toys, the best things available are very rare (too expensive for my budget) but awesome "lifesize" Japanese porcelain statues:

LotImg17104.jpg
LotImg17129.jpg

So What size is the closest? I would love to get Chip I have a prop from the SWS from the movie and chip would look cool standing next to it! Any info you can pass along would be great!:thumbsup

So What size is the closest? I would love to get Chip I have a prop from the SWS from the movie and chip would look cool standing next to it! Any info you can pass along would be great!:thumbsup

What are you comparing to get the closest size? The Hasbro Chip and the Japanese statue Chip? If so, the Japanese one would be more accurate (though I've never seen it in person).

What prop do you have? Would be interested to see pics. :)

I have a gun from SWS mounted in a glass dome I'll have to hunt down some photos. I posted them here before for some help with it but never got any comments back . Try a search for Small Soldiers Prop and see what comes up and I'll look for the photos!

I was just wondering what size the puppets were in the movie, I'd like something close.

Cool, be nice to see pics. I remember seeing the Small Soldiers setup they had at Universal Studios back in the day - that was neat!

Can't find any old threads on Small Soldiers with your info.

The prop figures of Chip and Archer were 12" - I believe the large figures I repainted here are pretty much an exact match. :):thumbsup

I might look at making a replica box for my Chip.

I haven't started painting him yet. He hasn't arrived from my eBay win yet!

Can anybody tell me why there are so many Small Soldiers figures on eBay from people in Canada? Did all the bankrupt stock get sent there? :confused

I might look at making a replica box for my Chip.

I haven't started painting him yet. He hasn't arrived from my eBay win yet!

Can anybody tell me why there are so many Small Soldiers figures on eBay from people in Canada? Did all the bankrupt stock get sent there? :confused

I noticed that too about Canada:lol

I have started matching the fonts on the boxes. I'm planning to replicate both Chip's and Archer's boxes.

Did anybody notice the magic printing technology that Globotech quietly used on Archer's box?

From the toy store when Alan first looks at the box;
gorgon1.jpg

And from Alan's bedroom, later;
gorgon2.jpg

I've tweaked the angle a bit. The text is a little different but look at the scenery!

I shall probably do the prettier of the two.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back