Thror's Map

Gutshot

Hey my first post, and I've even got something cool to show for it. After putting this project down and picking it back up half a dozen times over the last couple years, I finally finished my map. I must say, all in all, I'm pretty dang happy with how it turned out.

3693279740_dd302340e9.jpg

It's all hand drawn, nothing traced or any such... and my favorite bit.

3693284190_28ba1e245a.jpg

The moon runes only show up under black light! :)

I did that with a toy store "spy pen". It's a neat little uv ink pen with a tiny LED black light on the cap. I did screw up though and should have applied it before I "aged" the paper. I used acrylic and the airbrush so as to avoid blurring my ink. As it is now... you see the uv ink a little more than I'd actually like.

Considering having the map tattooed on my back. Do they have UV tattoo ink?

Yeah, I saw images of a guy who had a skeleton arm tattooed on his arm in UV ink. You couldn't see it under regular light, but under a black light all you could see was "bone" shining through. it was pretty awesome.

I've been slowly teaching myself the basics of photoshop and illustrator by cleaning up an image I downloaded from the web and converting it to a vector file for printing. Sadly, I don't have the hand drawing skills you show here, coz it's an awesome prop.

I had intended to do exactly what you did with the moon letters, and in a pretty similar way, with UV reactive ink. I was just trying to figure out the best way to get the UV runes printed without spending a fortune. I may go with a stamp.

Excellent job though. It looks great.

Considering having the map tattooed on my back. Do they have UV tattoo ink?

they do have it, but from what I hear its not that great for you (then again everything gives you cancer at some point it seems) and from people who've had them done, they don't always work real well.

If anyone's still interested I actually just stumbled across a website with the pen I used for a buck thirty-three...

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.88

I've ordered cables from these guys in the past and actually had pretty good experiences with ordering from them. They're in china so delivery takes a little longer but hey... they're cheap.

Thread NECROMANCY!!!1

OP: Did you make up the text for the moon runes or did you actually find it written out somewhere?

Great job, and fantastic idea about the moon letters! I thought about drawing them backwards on the back of the map, then back-lighting it to see them but this is soooo much better! Well done!!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back