Farnsworth Discussion

A frakin thumb tack :) I love this place, and need to read more working with what you have. Thank you I was wondering how you attached your middle knob.

so I just used part of what I cut off, stuck a thumb tack into one end and used it as a post to attach the middle knob

Shawn since you are having all of the fun with the electronics. Did you think about wiring one of the side jacks as a charging port? I am not well versed in this area and don't know if another board would be required (ac>dc conversion / step current down or the like); maybe you could rip apart one of those cheep AA/AAA chargers that plug into the wall. IDK just a thought.

Shawn since you are having all of the fun with the electronics. Did you think about wiring one of the side jacks as a charging port? I am not well versed in this area and don't know if another board would be required (ac>dc conversion / step current down or the like); maybe you could rip apart one of those cheep AA/AAA chargers that plug into the wall. IDK just a thought.

I built my Farnsworth in February and its still running strong on the same three AAA that were in it then. Seems like a lot of effort to avoid changing batteries once a year.

In fact, I've decided to make the batteries harder to change in my next build for aesthetic reasons. It will be a pain in the ass once a year, but will make my build more awesome.

I found a make up cover (different from the LA Colors) from Tulip called Body Art that is exactly 75mm. I might be able to make it work. I have 2 of the LA Colors too but I'm not sure how I feel about the hinge and clasp areas even after I ground them down.

Here they are...

I got my farnsworth mocked up today and the first coat of paint on the case. Still waiting on my faceplates and to start making the acrylic domes. I like the color this screen came out, reminds me of the old CRT tv screens, this is the makeup compact but it will not be in the final build. Still need to find the cabochons for the camera lens but so far so good.

img0364ak.jpg

img0365qgk.jpg

That's the LA make-up compact for the view screen? That looks great! Did you paint the back? What color did you use? I don't see the hinge or clasp at all. The whole things looks great!

I got my farnsworth mocked up today and the first coat of paint on the case. Still waiting on my faceplates and to start making the acrylic domes. I like the color this screen came out, reminds me of the old CRT tv screens, this is the makeup compact but it will not be in the final build. Still need to find the cabochons for the camera lens but so far so good.

img0364ak.jpg

img0371bw.jpg
I painted the case with Rustoleum Hammered Brown, it didnt quite come out with the hammered look but thats not a bad thing because it does look good. My case was all aluminum so to match the screen used prop I painted the inside and the lip with Krylon Premium 14kt gold plate and it contrasted with the brown very nicely. For the screen I did use the LA Colors compact and I painted the inside with Dupli-Color engine enamel DE1651 Cast Coat Iron, something I had laying around the garage but you would have to get at an auto parts store. If you go this way just make sure you tape off the top of the compact real good to avoid the overspray. Hope this helped.

img0370po.jpg

Since this is the farnsworth thread I thought I would share a few pics of an old farnsworth lunchbox portable radio I saw on ebay that I thought was pretty cool and a few pics of farnsworth product labels showing the original company logo. I am assuming that the tv show had to change the style slightly for copyright reasons and thats why it differs slightly. Also, I was going to continue painting my farnsworth to get the correct color and aging but after seeing these pics and the color being so close I decided to leave it. Since my farnsworth is only for my personal pleasure and viewing I think it will look good as a model of what the show prop might have looked like in its new original condition. Hope you like the pics.

t2ec16dhjf8e9nnc8hsnbqo.jpg

t2ec16jhjf0e9nmfqgulbqo.jpg

glenjulydsc08434.jpg

glenjulydsc08440.jpg

glenjulydsc08442.jpg

glenjulydsc08443.jpg

Well here's my Farnsworth. She's got a cardboard faceplate as a stand-in till the brass comes in. She'll do for Dragon Con. She lights up and plays the ringtone. Can't wait to work on the second one with the working switches. I'll be using jedibugs wiring plans with some tweeks (maybe... if they work). I'm also going to try and get my view screen to light up with interchangeable images.

Has anyone hinged their faceplate for easy access to the innards?

Would anyone happen to have a file to get a plate engraved? I had an engraver do a couple based on measurements and photos and it looks great, but there was some miscommunication and the dimensions and such are all wrong. I've had to sand the heck out of it to get it to fit in my case and now it has gaps on the sides and near the bottom. This is my first build of anything like this so I really want it to look good, but I can't afford to keep spending money on plates that end up being wrong. :facepalm

Would anyone happen to have a file to get a plate engraved? I had an engraver do a couple based on measurements and photos and it looks great, but there was some miscommunication and the dimensions and such are all wrong. I've had to sand the heck out of it to get it to fit in my case and now it has gaps on the sides and near the bottom. This is my first build of anything like this so I really want it to look good, but I can't afford to keep spending money on plates that end up being wrong. :facepalm

This is the best I could come up with from looking at the pics on the site. If anyone has a faceplate from the junkyard run maybe they could double check my dimensions and see if they are close. Hope this helps.
letteringandchevrondime.png

Last edited:
I have a laser cutter/engraver that I do custom work for people and a guy just came in looking to get this faceplate made. He had a Wheatley box from England and we tweaked the file a couple times to get it to fit almost perfect, just a hair of sanding to get it to snap in. I just joined the RPF to sell the faceplate but got a message that I am not allowed to sell anything for a while after joining so here is the *.ai Vector file (and a picture) of the faceplate for free and you can do with it what you wish.

(I didn't paint it, my client did and sent me the picture -just the first coat, he said he was going to rub some other stuff on it and send me more pictures when he was done - I'll keep you updated, even though he may be on this thread posting pictures himself)

Trying to get on the Admins good side to start my new membership.

thelasergarage@gmail.com - if you need any other versions of the file or the files not working. I have CorelDraw for my laser and I had to convert it to *.ai format for the forum.

:cool :thumbsup

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back